Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Such thing as launch control in the RA?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2008, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
Well the Bugatti is also a million dollar supercar, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the transmission alone is worth 100000$. I also don't know of anyone that bags the **** out of a Veyron and expects it to be flawless, it's still a supercar after all.
I agree on the AWD part, same reason why Evos used to blow clutches and transfer cases while the STI likes to snap axles.

Agreed! It boils down to abuse and what's the weakest component in the system. But how much abuse is it supposed to be engineered to take? The Nissan isn't exactly cheap either, but does that mean that Nissan is at fault for not building a strong enough transmission to take abuse? Crazy world we live in...no one takes personal responsibility any more.

Million dollar race cars break all the time, it's part of racing. Street cars should not be expected to take abuse without failures either. If you want to drag race your all-wheel drive then don't expect the factory to warrant it when it goes kaboom and sadly far too many on here do...
Old Nov 24, 2008, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO Neil
Agreed! It boils down to abuse and what's the weakest component in the system. But how much abuse is it supposed to be engineered to take? The Nissan isn't exactly cheap either, but does that mean that Nissan is at fault for not building a strong enough transmission to take abuse? Crazy world we live in...no one takes personal responsibility any more.

Million dollar race cars break all the time, it's part of racing. Street cars should not be expected to take abuse without failures either. If you want to drag race your all-wheel drive then don't expect the factory to warrant it when it goes kaboom and sadly far too many on here do...
Well there's a lot of trade offs as well, I'm sure people would whine and moan if the GTR cost 180000$ but had a bulletproof transmission that was loud and aggressive.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

It's still got the nissan badge, I didn't expect the trannies to hold up.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Except that Nissan has made some amazing cars in the past like the original Skyline, 240SX and the current 350Z.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TruboPower
It's still got the nissan badge, I didn't expect the trannies to hold up.
Weren't the R34 transmissions known for holding massive power?
Old Nov 24, 2008, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

They sure were.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hibby
Weren't the R34 transmissions known for holding massive power?
GETRAG.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

? The old 6-speeds were Getrag?
Old Nov 24, 2008, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a Mitsubishi form is it not?
Old Nov 24, 2008, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Would you rather we only talk about the Lancer, Ralliart and Evo? I think the GTR is pretty applicable since it has the same style of transmission.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

I think the RA with Launch Control would be far less of a potential problem than the EvoX. If you think about the power decrease difference alone with the solid Evo IX drive-line in it, it would be quick (or at least feel like it) for those number crunchers on the 0-60 times. And yes personaly I would love LC for those days you just feel like peeling out but not an everyday abuser like you guys seem to suggest everyone would do to it. just my Opinion.
Old Nov 24, 2008, 10:53 PM
Evolving Member

Would you rather we only talk about the Lancer, Ralliart and Evo? I think the GTR is pretty applicable since it has the same style of transmission.
Don't get your panties in a bunch, I was mearly commenting on the full page of nissan/buggatti comparisons that I had to sift through, please continue
Old Nov 24, 2008, 11:55 PM
Evolved Member

We moved from the Ralliart/Evo MR transmission to the competitor transmissions of the same design origin. Sorry, some of us felt it was relavent.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 12:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO Neil
We moved from the Ralliart/Evo MR transmission to the competitor transmissions of the same design origin. Sorry, some of us felt it was relavent.
Fair enough! If I may contribute then? How about VW's DSG? The reason why I suggest is that i've driven this car and absolutely loved the fact that shift paddles are on the Steering wheel. I though they were kinda wimpy and dinky at first but I have to say the difficulty in up or down shifts while in tight corners is hard with the column mounts in the RA. I find I have to adjust my hand position mid corner to make it happen Where The VW was no problem.
Old Nov 25, 2008, 04:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Well the Bugatti is also a million dollar supercar, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the transmission alone is worth 100000$. I also don't know of anyone that bags the **** out of a Veyron and expects it to be flawless, it's still a supercar after all.
I agree on the AWD part, same reason why Evos used to blow clutches and transfer cases while the STI likes to snap axles.
"I agree on the AWD part, same reason why Evos used to blow clutches and transfer cases while the STI likes to snap axles."

something got to give ....
if the tires are not spinning.
That is why the Mitsubishi weaken the clutch out purposely. That is a "weak point" in the Evo's.