Sound proofing the ralliart: dynamat door kit - thoughts? - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Sound proofing the ralliart: dynamat door kit - thoughts?

Old Sep 12, 2009, 01:49 PM   #1
Evolving Member

Drives: Ralliart 09

Sound proofing the ralliart: dynamat door kit - thoughts?

Have been thinking of doing some sound proofing on my RA, the highway noise is loud, and I don't think that bothered putting any noise proofing in the doors.

Was considering adding something like this?
http://www.dynamat.com/technical_ins...t_install.html

Anybody have any opinions on how effective it would be on the front and passenger door? would it have to go on all 4 and what else cud b good for reducing noise?

Old Sep 12, 2009, 02:05 PM   #2
Evolving Member

Drives: 08 Ralliart Lancer

You also have to do your wheel arches. The doors do make a difference but its better to do more.

Old Sep 12, 2009, 02:08 PM   #3

Drives: 2009 lancer ralliart

It makes a difference the dynomat and alittle expensive.this is my nextt project wen I'm ready to dish out 160 for the ralliart.

Old Sep 12, 2009, 04:11 PM   #4
Evolving Member

I really wish mitsubishi had done this in the factory!

Although i think there is already some of the dynomat stuff on the hood - the engine is the only thing i want to hear

If i did the wheel arches and 4 doors would it make a difference really? Want would it take to get lexus quiet?

Old Sep 12, 2009, 04:13 PM   #5
Evolved Member

Drives: Turbo Lancer Es

More weight , why get a sports car and want to it ride like a Cadillac , should have gone for the Sts or Cts Imo

Old Sep 12, 2009, 04:39 PM   #6

Drives: 2009 lancer ralliart

cts

Old Sep 12, 2009, 04:47 PM   #7
Evolving Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02-Lancer-Es View Post
More weight , why get a sports car and want to it ride like a Cadillac , should have gone for the Sts or Cts Imo
"You should not have bought this car" wasn't what I was looking for...

The ralliart isn't a sports car, it seats 4 adults, has standard cargo capacity and has the ground clearance of a normal car - it is practical.

Got it to get to 60 under 6 seconds without torque steer and have permanent 4wd for the good handling and bad weather.

It already weighs about 3500lbs, which is more than most crossover SUVs! Don't think that dynamat is going to turn it into a slow coach!

Anyway my point is - with the 2010 Evolution MR Touring - Mitsubishi state:
The latest edition to the Lancer Evolution line, the MR Touring package adds some serious refinement to a seriously powerful vehicle. Sunroof, full-heated leather RECARO® seats, rain sensing wipers, enhanced interior noise reduction, auto headlights…the MR Touring has it all.
Case in point: Mitsubishi put this sound proofing on the top model Evolution.

Last edited by ralliartblitz; Sep 12, 2009 at 04:55 PM.

Old Sep 12, 2009, 09:18 PM   #8

Drives: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart

I'm gonna soundproof mine sooner or later. I put an aftermarket subwoofer in the back and it rattles the trunk a lot. So I'm gonna do that to stop the rattle and to soundproof it more, so I'll do each door and do the trunk. It's about $500 worth of Dynamat, but installation should be easy.

Old Sep 13, 2009, 09:22 AM   #9
Evolving Member

From the guide to installing dynamat step 1

Step 1

Remove the factory door panel. Refer to a shop manual of your vehicle for detailed information on how to disassemble your vehicle.

Where do I get the shop manual for my vehicle from?

Old Sep 13, 2009, 07:03 PM   #10
EvoM Moderator

Drives: 09 WW Ralliart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralliartblitz View Post
From the guide to installing dynamat step 1

Step 1

Remove the factory door panel. Refer to a shop manual of your vehicle for detailed information on how to disassemble your vehicle.

Where do I get the shop manual for my vehicle from?
dont need it. there are 3 screws in each door. remove them and yank the panel off. easy-peasy

Old Sep 13, 2009, 08:01 PM   #11

hey if u plan on getting an exhaust system, you should definitely dynamat it...a buddy of mine got full exhaust and it rattles the **** out of it so again all lights green for soundproofing!!!

Old Sep 13, 2009, 08:45 PM   #12
Evolved Member

Drives: 11' Evo X

...just make your stereo louder than the road noise. Works for me. I just want to dynomat the back plastic behind the seats because that **** rattles like all hell with my sub.

Old Sep 14, 2009, 07:24 AM   #13
Evolving Member

Wasnt Mitsubishi's reason that the ralliart not getting sound proofing was for the fact that it saves weight? At least that is what I had read somwhere. Though just a little sound proofing would have been nice.

Old Oct 9, 2009, 09:43 PM   #14

Drives: Lancer GTS 2009

Its been a several step process on my part... I have a GTS...

Undercoating - sprayed undercarriage and wheel wells. Made some difference, but not a big one. Am in New England, so nice to have extra rust protection.

Doors - put dynamat on outer and inner panel. Not a huge difference, but noticeable. Nice side effect is door closes with a nice "thunk"/ feels more solid.

Under the back seat - easy to pull up. You'll notice some soundproofing. Not as big a difference as I would have hoped.

Under the front seat carpets - ideally, take out the seats, etc. But I wasn't that optimistic. I pulled up the door trim and panel trim and just pulled the carpet up. Put as much dynamat as I could given the space I was working with (you'll notice some factory soundproofing here too). Then took some left over mass loaded vinyl (from a home sound proofing project), cut it to form (using floor mats as template) and slipped it under the carpet. In my view, this made the BIGGEST difference in reducing road noise.

Overall - interesting thing about my process is that the noise is becomes more isolated... Now its clearly coming through the firewall and front (engine through the windshield). I would say the lancer is now almost as quiet as an 08 Altima I previously had. I had a Malibu rental which was quieter - but I think difference there was the significantly thicker glass used in the side windows and windshield.

Next step for me is the hood insulator. Obviously the ralliart already has one (GTS didn't come with one until the 2010 models).

I haven't test driven one, but I've heard the 2010's are in general quieter because of additional soundproofing that Mitsu put in as a response to complaints (not just the touring MR edition with extra sound proofing). For some reason, Mitsu said nothing about these enhancements (but I've seen the addition of the hood insulator on the 2010 GTS, so they clearly did something)...