Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Noise ring painting round #2

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise ring painting round #2

So i was going to paint my nose ring and read all the threads about the plastidip..... and now im reading how it all is peeling off. so my question is

I found some wheel paint at autozone and wondering if it would work better? what do you guys think???
and should i prime it first or what??

you guys are the pros so what do you think??

Sorry typo in the title

Last edited by pho_phizzat; Feb 4, 2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

I think the trick would be to take some 120 grit sandpaper and really scuff the chrome up. Then you need to clean it really well, maybe some carb cleaner. Then paint it with some plastic paint.

I dunno, I never painted mine. That's what I would do though.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:31 PM
Account Disabled

scuffing + a seal coat will hold alot better!
Old Feb 4, 2010, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Groundfades
scuffing + a seal coat will hold alot better!

as in use the wheel paint lpus a clear coat???

or the plastic dip plus clear???
Old Feb 4, 2010, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

I suggested scuffing it before painting to make it last longer in one of those pasticdip threads and everyone said you didn't need to and it was a waste of time.

Any spraypaint will work if you scuff it up, the wheel paint might be more for aluminum and steel surfaces though. I would find something that's made for plastics.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did not scuff mine at all before spraying with PlastiDip, and the only time I had it peel at all was when I sprayed it directly with the pressure washer.

If you ever want to revert to chrome or be able to re-spray the ring cleanly, I suggest you don't scuff it at all.

If you want to clear coat, I'd just use regular spray paint then. The whole point of using plasti-dip is so that you can remove and reapply it if need be.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

i have had mine plastidip'd for 8 months or so.. not once have i had a problem with it.
I did alot of coats while letting them dry each time.. then a few thick coats for the last couple. Hasn't peeled or chipped at all.. Still looks great even after the winter season.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

plasti-dip is great, if done correctly
Old Feb 4, 2010, 06:37 PM

If you want a REALLY good job that will last, follow these steps.

1. Sand it down with some 120-200 grit to get all the chrome off

2. Sand it down with some 500+ grit to get it all smooth (You can skip this step if you get the sand-able primer and want to just coat it and then sand it with the primer on, it's just to get it smooth and any chips out of the ring)

3. Clean the ring off from all the dust. As stated carb cleaner works well. Otherwise you can just use some water and and towel to wipe it down.

4. Get some primer (usually the same color you want to paint the ring with) http://www.duplicolor.com/products/primer.html

5. Once you have primer on and sanded down to a nice smooth surface, use your desired spray paint coat 2-3 times to get a nice even coat (or more depending on spray paint)

In this step, you CAN just use the black plasti-dip instead of paint. For me I used a almost matte spray paint and then a clear coat. I think I might use the clear plasti-dip (Yes there is CLEAR plasti-dip!!) for my 2nd repaint instead of clear coat.

6. Let the paint dry.

7. If you used the black plasti-dip you're done. Otherwise continue...

8. Use either clear coat spray paint or the clear plasti-dip to do a few protective coats over the paint you used.

9. Let it dry and reassemble your nose ring back on your car and you're done.

This is what has worked for me, it's a little more work, but well worth it in the end to get a nicely painted nose ring.

I know there are lots of methods out there this is what has worked for me. Enjoy!

Last edited by llno24; Feb 4, 2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Just use vinyl if your afraid of it peeling. If you want plastidip to last for a long time your going to have to sand it to roughen it up. This makes the plastidip adhere better. If you do that I would just paint it and add a clear coat instead because you can't revert back to stock after sanding it.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 06:21 AM

I put 5 layers of plasti-dip on my ring (no sanding, I wanted to be able to put it back to stock), it is holding up better then my cars PAINT !!!! I have power washed, held it 2 inches from it...and that plasti-dip holds..... now if my factory paint was half as tough I would be very happy
Old Feb 5, 2010, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

^exactly. With enough coats and time put into it, it will hold up just fine without sanding.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

I'm guessing that your local weather and where you store your car has a lot to do with the life of Plasti-Dip. If the car is left outside in the cold and rain the material probably will get brittle over time and then I can see it cracking and peeling. But if you keep your car in the garage out of the elements it will probably last a lot longer. =)

-Taranis
Old Feb 6, 2010, 04:22 AM

Im gonna say most of the advice on this thread are either making you do something you dont have to or making you do not enough for what you want.

1) Any paint is fine (no autopaint will not eat through plastic you are fine!)
2) 1000 Grid sand down + Clean
3) 2 Coats of Automotive primer (use black)
4) 3 Coats of Automotive paint (no clearcoat)

The above will take you about 1 hr including drying times and your nose ring will last for many many years and survive many car washes!
Old Feb 6, 2010, 04:34 AM

vinyl is cheap,lasts a long time,and the chrome edges look nice.sorry no pics,someone stole my badge.i now run badgeless.