Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

09 Ralliart exhaust, which one??

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2010, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 Ralliart exhaust, which one??

So i have an 09 Ralliart, and i'm debating between two exhausts...

Borla Catback or HKS Legamax premium with center pipe

Ive heard the few videos on youtube of both, it seems like the HKS is SOOOO close to stock sound its pointless to spend 800 bucks on it, and the Borla sounds amazing and has a straight thru design with no muffler but a small resonator BUT i dont really like the fact of a Borla on an import. If i could have my way, I'd have the Kakimoto or Fujitsubo catbacks they make for the Evo X but they wont fit and those are true JDM exhaust systems and the chances of gettin em here in the U.S. is highly unlikely. If anybody has any input or suggestions, let me know.

BTW... Im not a ricer by any means, im looking for an exhaust that sounds good and has a louder side to it. As for performance, a catback wont do much unless i do downpipe and cat, and im not trying to void warranty so really, im looking for a good sound to the already amazing 4B11T. Thanks in advance guys
Old Jul 25, 2010, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

Borla is loud and sounds just like my buschur exhaust. I would suggest hearing them im person if you could to get the whole effect. The buschur exhaust didnt sound THAT loud when I heard it on the computer but in person its ear shattering. Just my .02 so you dont make the same mistake as me.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Don't get a Borla. Buschur Racing, CP-E ( i have it sounds great ), Ultimate Racing, AMS are some good ones. Pick one of these and get a highflow cat and a downpipe. No emission problems.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

i'd get the HKS legamax muffler. it should sound just a bit louder since it's just axle back. lots of other systems are cat back and delete the resonator in the midpipe, causing it to sound much louder.

i think Ultimate Racing has exhaust options to have the mid pipe with or without a resonator or mini-muffler in it.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
if you want a nice deep/low grumble at idle and a high-rpm screamer (not ricey fart can, just loud and scary), CP-E is the only way to go, imo. i've pretty much heard most available exhausts in person, working at the dealership and all, and it is by far the best sounding exhaust i've ever heard on an import,period. i would say the CP-E is followed by the UR in second place. the only one i have yet to hear is the new AMS twin tip option, but i think its supposed to be a bit subdued.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:54 PM
Account Disabled

Ultimate Racing is by far the best sounding exhaust that is made for the RA. It can get rediculously loud if you have a full turbo back on the RA turbo mind you. If you plan to swap to an X turbo, the exhaust gets alot quieter.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

I just got the TurboXS cat back in the mail last week. it rained all weekend here so i havent had time to put it on but i've heard it on 2 X's and though it's nott as deep as the CP-E and UR ones it's not to bad for the price they sell it at
Old Jul 27, 2010, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
if you want a nice deep/low grumble at idle and a high-rpm screamer (not ricey fart can, just loud and scary), CP-E is the only way to go, imo. i've pretty much heard most available exhausts in person, working at the dealership and all, and it is by far the best sounding exhaust i've ever heard on an import,period. i would say the CP-E is followed by the UR in second place. the only one i have yet to hear is the new AMS twin tip option, but i think its supposed to be a bit subdued.
loud and scary doesn't sound child friendly. how does the HKS muffler sound? nice and quiet i hope.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the HKS with center pipe. It works perfectly for me because it only a little louder than stock, but it has a nice deeper tone to it.

Don't get it if you're interested in performance though, the pipe diameter is the same as stock pipe.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:58 AM
Former Sponsor

I have yet to hear an exhaust that is as mellow and deep sounding as the AMS catback on my car. I absolutely love it, and the 4" round tips look so much better than stock.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I heard Erics car this weekend. The AMS catback does sound great. Nice and mellow with a deep tone. I personally cant afford to spend 900$ on just a cat back though. Way out of my price range for a cat back exhaust. BUT if i had the $ i would pick one up asap!
Old Jul 27, 2010, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mikesim
loud and scary doesn't sound child friendly. how does the HKS muffler sound? nice and quiet i hope.
lol, nah it's not a problem at all, my 3 year old daughter loves it! always saying to go faster and louder in the "race car" good thing she's too young to know any better

Last edited by 03chi-town0Z; Jul 27, 2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 05:29 PM

How would the TurboXS cat-back/turbo-back exhaust compare to any of the aforementioned exhausts?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

HKS is way too quiet. And i don't kno much about Borla but the UR, CP-e and AMS exhausts sound great.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 06:21 PM

Perrin is the Best. deep growl and popping. But you have to do some custom work in order to work around your suspension in the back......................

Quick Reply: 09 Ralliart exhaust, which one??