Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Think your paint job sucks?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2010, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SOG RA
Well, If you guys really want to pursue this thing, lets do it. The only way we are going to get anywhere is to give it a shot. If you are into it, PM me and I will give you my email address to send the info to. Be sure to state where the paint is chipping the most, include pictures if you can, how long you have owned the car/mileage, and your vin. If you want, you can provide pictures of your other car, showing the same areas on our RAs that have chipped so badly, just to show that it is not something specific to road conditions. I wouldnt be surprised if this is a problem for certain months of certain years where maybe the factory slacked off a bit, but it may just be all models. Once we get a full list with all of these things, I will present it to Mitsu Consumer Affairs. If we dont get anywhere doing that, then we will pursue other options like consumer advocate groups, etc.
I am sending you a PM right now.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brads09lancerGT
I have 3M clear bra on the whole front of my bumper, bottom half of hood and rear doors/ sideskirt dog leg area so those areas are doing good. I have a few random ones except for the front half of my roof, which has tons of small chips
i have the same done to my car, i have random chips right around the headlights, the a pillars and the roof... so i guess that makes two for chipped roofs, seems like a werid spot to chip
Old Aug 20, 2010, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

Exclamation

Hello All,

I'm so glad someone posted this on our forum. I decided to email them even thought I'm not a Canadian resident. They wrote back to me the same day and said,

Hello,

Even though we protect interests of canadian residents, we would still like to have the details of your situation if you would like to fill out the form attached to this email. We will write Mitsubishi shortly after we compile all of our complaints and can keep you informed on the progress.

Everyone should take the time to email them with details of our "fragle paint" issues. We have nothing to loose and everything to gain. (except more paint)
Old Aug 20, 2010, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

I do alot of Highway driving my bumper and hood took a beating, even got a small dent in the hood from a piece of salt in the first 2 months. Has one else noticed around ground effect (skirts) at the rear wheels that they are chipped to hell. I even noticed a couple chips around the rear door and I agree the paint pen sucks. Will have to fill the form out.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

I have already filed a claim through my dealership. They told me that they will submit the claim to Mitsubishi's "Good Will Program". Even the service employee put finger quotes in the air when he talked about that program. So, I am not expecting much to come of this, but I am at least trying. I will let you all know how that turns out once I hear something back.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crpearce
I have already filed a claim through my dealership. They told me that they will submit the claim to Mitsubishi's "Good Will Program". Even the service employee put finger quotes in the air when he talked about that program. So, I am not expecting much to come of this, but I am at least trying. I will let you all know how that turns out once I hear something back.
I did the same thing with my 09 GTS back in Feb'09. It was ravaged with rock chips. Still waiting to hear back from Mits Motors
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by brads09lancerGT
I did the same thing with my 09 GTS back in Feb'09. It was ravaged with rock chips. Still waiting to hear back from Mits Motors
If that is the case, Mitsubishi is probably going to see how many complaints they get before they take any sort of action. Thank you for letting me know this so that I can hopefully maintain some sort of communication stream between Mitsubishi Motors, my dealership, and I.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Like I said before guys, I honestly think the only way to get this taken care of is to have a formal list of people, pics, info, vins, etc. I have already had a couple people PM me about this with pics of their cars, etc. If you are interested and in the states, give me a shout.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

I heard back from the dealership this morning. Mitsubishi Motors gave them the go-ahead to repair and repaint my RalliArt where the trouble spots are. So, they are going to repaint the rear of the side skirts, the rocker panels, and in-between the doors on both sides. They also told me that they would be using a 3M protective clear coat to help prevent this from happening again. I will complementing that with some urethane RallyArmor mud flaps.

This will be taken care of through the aforementioned Good Will Program. This is a one-time repair/work order, so if the problem happens again, I would need some sort of class-action suit to be passed in order for the car to get repainted at no cost to me.

I will be double-checking my calendar tonight after work, but it looks like I will be taking the car in around September 7 to have the work done.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 05:41 AM

My ralliarts paint is horrible. The rear dog legs on my car were sand blasted to hell. I complained to mitsubishi for several month, until they finallly gave in took pictures sent them to Mitsu Canada. They got the go ahead to repaint the back dog legs and back quarter panels. Put 3M film on the dog legs and factory mudflaps on the front to prevent future rock chips. All this done for $500 canadian (it was a cost share program $500 dollars 3 ways Me, Mitsu Canada, Dealership). I am happy that I got the main issue fixed, but at the same time a little dissapointed that I had to spend $500 to fix the paint on a 8 month old $38,000 car.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

My dealership told me that paint work would be taken care of without any out-of-pocket expense on my part. They are also providing me with a loaner vehicle while the RalliArt is at the body shop.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 09:24 PM

I thought it was just me. I have 3M protection, but the rest of the car front & sides has chips.

(finally 50 posts - anyone want to buy a 2008 Evo MR?)
Old Aug 27, 2010, 09:22 AM

I was so pissed the other day while cleaning my car, I found a paint chip caused by a bug.......
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:15 PM

I can't stand the garbage paint Mitsubishi uses. I found a chip on the hood and a couple by the vents. they are very small and hard to see unless you get close and look for them but still. It seems like the paint doesn't have a clear coat or any protection what so ever.

I have a 10 year old S2000 with 4 times the miles and its paint is 5 times better. I don't even want to drive it because every 50 miles means discovering new paint chips.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tack
I can't stand the garbage paint Mitsubishi uses. I found a chip on the hood and a couple by the vents. they are very small and hard to see unless you get close and look for them but still. It seems like the paint doesn't have a clear coat or any protection what so ever.

I have a 10 year old S2000 with 4 times the miles and its paint is 5 times better. I don't even want to drive it because every 50 miles means discovering new paint chips.
10 years old is the key...paint nowadays is crappy across the board.

My 2008 GTI had worse paint than the Ralliart (hard to believe I know), as does my friend's 09 WRX265, my coworker's 08 Accord Coupe...the list goes on.

Quick Reply: Think your paint job sucks?