Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Think your paint job sucks?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2010, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Think your paint job sucks?

So I've heard a lot of RA owners complaining of the sh!tty paint job and how it's so susceptible to rock chipping...

Here's some hope:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/2010/0...da-engines.htm

"The agency said that “it appears that the paint of some late-model Mitsubishi vehicles is unusually fragile and chips easily.”

But the Automotive Protection Agency is canadian based, so only Canadian drivers can report this issue currently..

"APA Investigation : Fragile Mitsubishi Paint
It appears that the paint of some late-model Mitsubishi vehicles is unusually fragile and chips easily. The APA has designed a new form to gather the information that will allow us to better understand this problem and help consumers. Do not hesitate to fill this form if your Mitsubishi exhibits this problem."
link: http://www.apa.ca/documents/Mitsubishi_yournamehere.doc

Hope enough people file a report so that something can be done about this "eco paint" crap!!
Old Aug 18, 2010, 09:10 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It would be awesome if i could get a recall on the paint of my 04 lol
Old Aug 18, 2010, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

im filling it up asap! ... i have my RA for 5 months now .. god knows how many rock chip i have... T__T
Old Aug 18, 2010, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

I filed a complaint through my local dealership, and they took pictures and submitted them to Mitsubishi's "Good Will Program". Whatever comes of this, I cannot say at this time. No matter what, though, I am going to try.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Hey if you guys are up for it, we should all take pictures of the paint chips on our cars, to show that all RAs are chipping in the same places. Get a list of people with year make and model, names of course and phone numbers and send it off to Mitsubishi Consumer Affairs. I did a little research and apparently, Mitsubishi has had issues with their paint chipping for many year, there was a huge class action lawsuit regarding that, in which consumers won the case. Issues seemed to have started in 2006. If the paint chips really bother you guys that much, then the only way to get it fixed is to get everyone together and let Mitsu know that there is a major issue. It would probably be better to just get pics and VIN numbers and send those off to them.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Agreed! Rock chips all over my body. I bought the touch up pen paint, not too satisfied with it coz I don't really know how to do it =p
Old Aug 18, 2010, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo 8 paint sucks!!

I don't even think I have ever had any clearcoat... Have been told it is "mixed in" with the factory paint. It is total junk.

My paint is so bad I literally go months without washing it now because it is so damned depressing to see the awful paint and continuosly increasing degradation of the crap paint. I have done my best in the past with wash, wax, etc. but it is just plain bad.
SUCKS!!!!
Old Aug 18, 2010, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SOG RA
...If the paint chips really bother you guys that much, then the only way to get it fixed is to get everyone together and let Mitsu know that there is a major issue. It would probably be better to just get pics and VIN numbers and send those off to them.
I'm down with this idea. Damn those rock chips! Mine are particularly bad some of them worked their way onto the lower portion of the rear doors.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

I actually have a couple tiny chips nobody probably notices, but I know they are there. I wouldn't mind doing something about it.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

The chipping on my RA is horrible. The worst of it is on the rear of the side skirts and up towards the top of rear wheel well. My hood is chipped somewhat, but not as badly. The fact that the paint chipped this much in less the one year of ownership is unacceptable.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anyone get chips on the front of the roof?
Old Aug 19, 2010, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Well, If you guys really want to pursue this thing, lets do it. The only way we are going to get anywhere is to give it a shot. If you are into it, PM me and I will give you my email address to send the info to. Be sure to state where the paint is chipping the most, include pictures if you can, how long you have owned the car/mileage, and your vin. If you want, you can provide pictures of your other car, showing the same areas on our RAs that have chipped so badly, just to show that it is not something specific to road conditions. I wouldnt be surprised if this is a problem for certain months of certain years where maybe the factory slacked off a bit, but it may just be all models. Once we get a full list with all of these things, I will present it to Mitsu Consumer Affairs. If we dont get anywhere doing that, then we will pursue other options like consumer advocate groups, etc.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 03:46 PM

how much would it cost me if i got my 09 ralliart painted gloss black bc its wicked white and i would perfer black
Old Aug 19, 2010, 03:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Sorry to hear about the paint jobs sucking, but if you guys need any touch ups or full paint jobs or insurance jobs please me know, i am here to help you guys get your car back into shape.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by robyn402
anyone get chips on the front of the roof?
I have 3M clear bra on the whole front of my bumper, bottom half of hood and rear doors/ sideskirt dog leg area so those areas are doing good. I have a few random ones except for the front half of my roof, which has tons of small chips

Quick Reply: Think your paint job sucks?