Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

weird day with the ralliart, confused on my cel code.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2010, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weird day with the ralliart, confused on my cel code.

So this morning driving to class my "check engine soon" light came on. After I noticed the light came on, I also noticed my transmission acting really weird. when it geared, it geared roughly and made the whole car feel like it flew forward and backward, I could feel myself move back and forth in my seat. I was freaking out maybe my transmission was about to die or something, but made it school just fine. After my class I drove out to autozone to let them read the code. P1235. Nothing for mitsubishi was in the computer at autozone, but for other makes it kept saying something about fuel pump and/or something with air flow. I had installed a k&n air filter a few days ago. I decided to go to a close by mitsubishi dealer (not the one I bought the car at), and they checked my car out. After waiting for 30 minutes, the guy came in and told me to follow him. He said nothing else and I just followed him. In the garage I noticed a bunch of techs around my car and at first though "oh no, what happened". I guess the main service guy was there and explained to me that my car had obviously been messed with in the engine bay. He said my tubing from the vacuum something by the intake to the bpv was aftermarket and had an extra vacuum line hidden away that was used for an aftermarket turbo. They noticed my k&n air filter too and said my maf could be throwing the code. On my service paper they typed "loosing vacuum from loose hose. AFter market parts were removed"

I told them I bought the car like how it was and they said i'll have to pay whatever to get the code fixed. So I'm confused if just my filter is causing it or the filter along with the messed up hoses or...Any opinions would be great.

And I noticed after they cleared the code my transmission felt better but still is kind of jumpy, more then I'm used to
Old Aug 27, 2010, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

This is the problem with buying an Evo, RA, WRX, or STI used. You have no idea if the previous owner modded the car, how much they modded, or if they even did it right.

I hope you get it figured out, and get the dealer to cover the repairs, or at least the repairs are cheap. Good luck!!
Old Aug 27, 2010, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin.0
So this morning driving to class my "check engine soon" light came on. After I noticed the light came on, I also noticed my transmission acting really weird. when it geared, it geared roughly and made the whole car feel like it flew forward and backward, I could feel myself move back and forth in my seat. I was freaking out maybe my transmission was about to die or something, but made it school just fine. After my class I drove out to autozone to let them read the code. P1235. Nothing for mitsubishi was in the computer at autozone, but for other makes it kept saying something about fuel pump and/or something with air flow. I had installed a k&n air filter a few days ago. I decided to go to a close by mitsubishi dealer (not the one I bought the car at), and they checked my car out. After waiting for 30 minutes, the guy came in and told me to follow him. He said nothing else and I just followed him. In the garage I noticed a bunch of techs around my car and at first though "oh no, what happened". I guess the main service guy was there and explained to me that my car had obviously been messed with in the engine bay. He said my tubing from the vacuum something by the intake to the bpv was aftermarket and had an extra vacuum line hidden away that was used for an aftermarket turbo. They noticed my k&n air filter too and said my maf could be throwing the code. On my service paper they typed "loosing vacuum from loose hose. AFter market parts were removed"

I told them I bought the car like how it was and they said i'll have to pay whatever to get the code fixed. So I'm confused if just my filter is causing it or the filter along with the messed up hoses or...Any opinions would be great.

And I noticed after they cleared the code my transmission felt better but still is kind of jumpy, more then I'm used to
Luckily, the previous owner of your RA, IdriveRA now Eeboh, is on these forums...I'm almost positive he did not do a turbo swap or anything major like that. From what I remember, he had it tastefully modded and everything properly installed. Try shooting him a PM and ask about any other engine mods he may have done.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P1235 is really just a sign of making more power than Mitsu wanted you to. Just need the airflow tables adjusted. Was it a particularly cool day?
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Found this thread, looks like 08Lancer89 had the same CEL as you.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...cel-p1235.html
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

DetroitRA is right.

I never did anything other than a tune and CBE engine wise. They may have been talking about the boost pill tho.

You need a retune for an intake/filter tho. That is what is most likely giving you that code/jerky ness.

Last edited by GiLizILL; Aug 27, 2010 at 10:21 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 11:53 AM
Account Disabled

P1235 is airflow/target tables being hit, the trans acting weird is because the car is in limp mode.

- Bryan
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

Hey Gilbert

I thought it was stupid what they said. Since you told me everything. But I read that people who changed to a new filter didn't need a tune unless because I have a tune? That makes sense now. So if I put the stock filter on it should go back to normal/no limp mode?
Old Aug 27, 2010, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

I live in San Antonio and it's august so not a cool day lol. Thanks for the replies everyone
Old Aug 27, 2010, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

yes throw the stock filter back on first
Old Aug 27, 2010, 01:22 PM
Evolving Member

Alright thanks man. Btw how's the evo? Haha
Old Aug 27, 2010, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Is any damage occuring to any components from me driving with the k&n on? I'm going to try to put the stock back on tomorrow after work but gotta drive my car a little bit.