Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Fears about buying a ralliart sportback!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2011, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Motojoe
I know forums only represent a small percent of owners so I should have some faith is the product. I just know there is a lot of technology and mechanics with new transmissions and no matter how you treat it, if it wants to act up it will. I never beat on my cars and do expect small things to go wrong. I just don't want to leave a semi dependable car for the unknown. Was there any big changes from 2010-11? And what options should I look for. I'm looking to buy used. Thanks.
There weren't many "operational" changes between 2010 and 2011, just a few minor things like a USB port, F.A.S.T. key changes and some of the factory packages. They no longer offer the RECARO package, it's the Touring Package instead. As far as the mechanics of the car, the engine, transmission, suspension and AWD characteristics have stayed the same.

I will tell you this... as far as being cost effective, I've even been told by experienced sales people at the Mitsu dealerships that the Ralliart is a better buy compared to the Evo X if you plan on slightly modding it. With just a few simple, cheap mods, you're making almost as much power as the Evo X MR and costing about $10k less. Plus, if you're a fan of the hatchback look, then this is a win/win scenario for you. Sure, it's not a fuel efficient vehicle and it's not a V8, but for the fun that the Ralliart is, you can't beat it!
Old Apr 6, 2011, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a 2010 Ralliart sportback for over a year... but I sold it because it wanted the Evo X GSR, and that was the only reason.
The Ralliart sportback was great, drove it cross-country 2500+ miles in 3 days almost nonstop without any issue, run like a quality Swiss-watch.
The car does not feel cheap or like a think can... it is heavy for it size but that didn't bother me because it was solid and stable at any speed. When u close the door it would feel solid.

I wanted a manual (I am too old-school) , but the TC-SST system worked as advertised...I shifted mostly myself or left in sport mode. I never had an issue with it..... I sold it with 11k miles on it... and it still run as good as new.
Siyah

Last edited by Siyah; Apr 6, 2011 at 08:14 AM. Reason: typo
Old Apr 6, 2011, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Had my sport back for 26000 kilometers running a cobb accessport, done a few 1300k per day drives between provinces, been through -30*C winters and still runs like a champ plus i can stick a big screen tv in the back.... only thong i desipise is the **** mitsu paint, if you get one don't skimp on the 3M... also 2010's come stock with recaros and colour screen info center display thing if your into that sorta thing sincce your lookin for used.

As well i have the non rockford stereo in mine, when compared my buddy who has the rockford system in his there barely any difference aside from the additional noise from a ****ty sub-woofer

My reccomendation is pick up a 2010 without the SSL package, unless you get a good deal. The extra cash they charge for it isnt worth it
Old Apr 6, 2011, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by robyn402
Had my sport back for 26000 kilometers running a cobb accessport, done a few 1300k per day drives between provinces, been through -30*C winters and still runs like a champ plus i can stick a big screen tv in the back.... only thong i desipise is the **** mitsu paint, if you get one don't skimp on the 3M... also 2010's come stock with recaros and colour screen info center display thing if your into that sorta thing sincce your lookin for used.

As well i have the non rockford stereo in mine, when compared my buddy who has the rockford system in his there barely any difference aside from the additional noise from a ****ty sub-woofer

My reccomendation is pick up a 2010 without the SSL package, unless you get a good deal. The extra cash they charge for it isnt worth it
x2. I feel the stock sound system in this car is far better than 90% of the stock systems out there. I have 0 feelins of changing out the speakers, and will just opt for a good 10" sub instead
Old Apr 6, 2011, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by captobvious75
x2. I feel the stock sound system in this car is far better than 90% of the stock systems out there. I have 0 feelins of changing out the speakers, and will just opt for a good 10" sub instead
Thank you, Captain Obvious! Sorry, I just wanted to say that.

But I completely agree, the stock system (non-RF) is a nice 140-watt six speaker system that sounds much better than any other stock system I've heard in a vehicle. I have to really crank it past "you'll-damage-your-hearing" levels to distort it, and that's more than enough for me. I agree, adding a nice sub would be perfect. I don't plan on doing much audio with this car as it's built for performance. A good aftermarket head unit with a LOC for the stock speakers and a nice sub with a decent mono amp would make the audio more than satisfactory for my needs.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 10:21 AM
Former Sponsor

31.1 mpg on the highway here.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
31.1 mpg on the highway here.
Did you average that on the tank at fill-up, or is that the average displayed on the dash?
Old Apr 6, 2011, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Motojoe
And as far as build quality, you guys feel it's a rattle box. For example my 05 sti was like a tin can. It felt cheap. How's the mistu? And tranny feedback would be great being my main concern. I know the motor is solid.
YES its a rattlebox but if your main concern is the interior, this car is aint for you..you buy this car for its bulletproof 4B11T engine and the amazing AWD system that was borrowed from evo 9... the SST like what they said use it wisely it was built as auto/manual gear box but mainly use the paddle shift or the shift knob like you were driving a manual car, feel the car the RA is so much fun to drive
Old Apr 6, 2011, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

since i do have a nice 10in RE AUDIO RSX sub, and a good enough amp. i believe its a 300watt amp. im not sure, but anyways. if i was to swap out the sub and amp , what else would i need to replace as far as wiring, and anything else i might need?
Old Apr 6, 2011, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

How do you get 31 mpg?? I love everything about the car except for my mpg...
Old Apr 6, 2011, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

i get 60 mpg of course when my RA is parked
Old Apr 6, 2011, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chazyronnie
I getz infinite when I'm parked, yo!
Old Apr 6, 2011, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

the RA has good build quality and the blue tooth is awesome... also i recommend the prem package(as its called in canada) as the recaro seats are shizznit
Old Apr 6, 2011, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

I have 39k miles on mine and have major mods done and the car seems to be solid no real issues. The cars build quality is damn good overall. Just do your maintenance and don't beat on it like you stole it you should be fine.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 07:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by chazyronnie

That was after I had my car tuned for the new RAD. I snapped that picture after the 90 mile drive back to my dorm.

Quick Reply: Fears about buying a ralliart sportback!