Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Fears about buying a ralliart sportback!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2011, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fears about buying a ralliart sportback!

Right now I have a 08 Audi a3 with a dsg tranny so I am familiar with dual clutch transmissions. The Audis are prone to countless problems and expensive to fix. Cams, fuel pumps, coil packs, ac's, transmissions, electrical, etc. Right Now I'm starting to have little issues here and there. I love the ralliart sportback and would trade my car in a heartbeat for one but I'm worried about this transmission. I have seen numerous problems here. I want a reliable trouble free hatch that's fun to drive. I don't want to think at any time this thing is gonna take a crap on me. Please let me know how you guys feel about reliability over all, and also this transmission lasting 100k miles trouble free. Thanks.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

If you don't track the car and abuse it all the time i think you'll be fine but the maintenance costs are pretty high too for a non luxury car
Old Apr 6, 2011, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

The transmission has only really been a problem for people who drive it poorly...

The EvoX MR has the same transmission as the Ralliart but with additional electronic/mechanical features (a super-sport mode). Other than that, it's exactly the same EXCEPT for one major item, a throttle protection on 1st gear. That means if you hammer it in an MR, it won't dump the power all at once. In the Ralliart, we don't have that protection. So if you continuously abuse 1st gear with brake (or neutral rev) launches, you'll get problems. But that's the same for any car.

There are a lot of heavily modified Ralliarts that have no problems (running in the 300+ hp/tq).

Drive smart and you shouldn't see any problems.

Also, if you want to alleviate any worries, SSP (South Side Performance) sells an upgrade clutch pack and transmission fluid.

You can also add a transmission cooler from SSP or AMS. That's probably the most worthwhile mod in conjunction with the upgraded fluid.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 06:21 AM

And as far as build quality, you guys feel it's a rattle box. For example my 05 sti was like a tin can. It felt cheap. How's the mistu? And tranny feedback would be great being my main concern. I know the motor is solid.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One these fourms you'll see a handful of people with transmission problems compaired to how many people actually have the car. Some of the problems also are related to modifications made to the car.

Also in most cases it is still covered under warrenty if you do happen to have any problems.

As long as you keep on the maintence schedule you should be fine, im at 40k miles with over 20k of it with 300hp / 300tq (about a 100 / 100 over stock)
Old Apr 6, 2011, 06:43 AM
Former Sponsor

As long as the car is tuned correctly, you shouldn't have any problems with the TC-SST.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
As long as the car is tuned correctly, you shouldn't have any problems with the TC-SST.

Exactly

You should listen to NFSLancerRA because he's got a really intensely modded car and he hasn't run into any problems.

NFS...did you change you clutches/fluid/add a trans. cooler??
Old Apr 6, 2011, 06:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jasoob
NFS...did you change you clutches/fluid/add a trans. cooler??
Nope. I have blueprints already setup for a new transmission cooler, though. I will likely install that, new lines, and put in new fluid when servicing time comes around.

My car runs like a champ. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Ralliarts, especially the new ones. I suspect that all the bugs have been worked out. I haven't heard about a defective transmission in a while.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
Nope. I have blueprints already setup for a new transmission cooler, though. I will likely install that, new lines, and put in new fluid when servicing time comes around.

My car runs like a champ. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Ralliarts, especially the new ones. I suspect that all the bugs have been worked out. I haven't heard about a defective transmission in a while.
Do you also have an '11? I have an '11 and noticed they fixed that problem with the fuses as well (the proper fuses are supposed to be blue) and a large gray one in the corner.

To answer the first guys question:

The transmission is fine as long as you drive properly. Regular service and proper tune if you mod!!
Old Apr 6, 2011, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

I'm a firm believer that if you take care of a car, it will take care of you. If you are really worried about the SST, dont mod until after the warranty is up
Old Apr 6, 2011, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

I think the quality is pretty good. Not a lot of rattling but the suspension makes some weird noises and is oddly stiff. Suspension mod is the first thing I would do if I start over.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Oh yeah and for more power make sure you get a new fmic to replace the stock one.
I just took out the UR fmic couple days ago and it makes a huge difference.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

I'm approaching 4k miles on my 2011 RA and it's been as solid as a rock. I don't race it but I do spirited drives from time to time. I have a set of BC Racing coilovers sitting in my room waiting to be installed when I have the opportunity. I'm considering doing a transmission service at 10k just to play it safe, might install the SSP cooler at the same time too. While the transmission is my only fear in this car, I'm confident enough that as long as you don't abuse the hell out of it, it will last.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

+1
Old Apr 6, 2011, 07:49 AM

I know forums only represent a small percent of owners so I should have some faith is the product. I just know there is a lot of technology and mechanics with new transmissions and no matter how you treat it, if it wants to act up it will. I never beat on my cars and do expect small things to go wrong. I just don't want to leave a semi dependable car for the unknown. Was there any big changes from 2010-11? And what options should I look for. I'm looking to buy used. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Fears about buying a ralliart sportback!