Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Front bumper, possible rear sideskirt and possible back bumper damage

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2011, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front bumper, possible rear sideskirt and possible back bumper damage

Hi Guys,

I've just managed to run my ralliart into a dip in the road going about 20mph(didn't see it, pitch black, raining and the sign wasn't stated on the road). Anyways i heard a big thud on the front and a big thud at the back. Had a quick analsys of the car and the front bumper underneath is scratched hardcore and just bellow the inter cooler charge pipe is(on the bumper) it has a hole but it's not exposed to the eye its underneath.

Still I've only had the car 2 to 3 months and i want to get it fixed. I wanted to get your guys recommendations, whether i buy a new front bumper or go to a panel beater and get a weld and respray on the bottom of the bumper done. If anyone has links to a new bumper that would be great.

True ralliart lovers would want to shoot me right now and i understand i feel like shooting myself poor thing. Pic's will follow.

Cheers
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

I would also like to ask could anyone suggest anything in regards to checking for structural damage, like i wouldn't wanna stuff up the awd system on this or the exhaust system and if i did i would like to be aware of it. Any obvious ideas for checking? Cheers once again. The car seems fine as far as driving goes, i had a wheel alignment last week which has probably been thrown out the window. The dip was maybe 6 inches or so in depth, like a reverse speed hump but a bit smaller but the car went in a str8 line over it.

Cheers

Last edited by parralegend; Jun 29, 2011 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Extra info
Old Jun 30, 2011, 04:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by parralegend
I would also like to ask could anyone suggest anything in regards to checking for structural damage, like i wouldn't wanna stuff up the awd system on this or the exhaust system and if i did i would like to be aware of it. Any obvious ideas for checking? Cheers once again. The car seems fine as far as driving goes, i had a wheel alignment last week which has probably been thrown out the window. The dip was maybe 6 inches or so in depth, like a reverse speed hump but a bit smaller but the car went in a str8 line over it.

Cheers
Yeah, that my first thought while reading the thread... I would be more worried about bent control arms, bent wheels, etc.. first anyway. Depending on your deductible you might want to check with your insurance company given the road conditions... not sure if they would cover it or not.

In the mean time, take it to a good alignment shop and see how the alignment looks and if it is out of spec if it can be adjusted.... Also go to a wheel and tire place that has a road-force balance machine and have them check the wheels... should tell you if any of them got dented / bent / tire damage.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

I live in northern Ontario and also have the great fortune to live in a city built on a clay bed. In the winter, -25C or colder days freezes the clay bed, and in the spring the thawing clay tends to shift and produce potholes all over the city. Due to the laws in my area, if I hit an unmarked pothole and my car takes damage, I have the right to take a photo of the pothole, then take the car to a mechanic to assess the damage. We can then submit a claim with the city for the damages. If the laws in your area are similar, I'd look into what your rights are in this situation.

Nobody should have to deal with repairing a car damaged by a lack of road maintenance!
Old Jun 30, 2011, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

http://imageshack.us/g/96/20110630002.jpg/

Last edited by parralegend; Jun 30, 2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 03:36 AM
Evolving Member

Well i ordered in what i thought was the complete covering but i was wrong. I got part 5379A255 and it only covers the very front about 6 inches back and side to side.

I need to order in 2 other eng covers and im led to believe from research its

5370A440 right fender splashguard
5370A439 Left Fender Splashguard.

Anyone have any experience on the matter? I believe both the above mentioned cover part of the engine bay from underneath in particular the transmission which is the part i definitely want covered from water.

Cheers!!!

**** UPDATE****
I had my panel beater mate look at the tow hooks, he said it's fine as it has not caused and vertical impact and said the hook itself where it connects looks like factory but the bolt is a bit wrecked. He measured the Chassis and said it's equal and also mentioned it would take a fair amount of frontal impact to even dent it as these things are made alot tougher than the crap in the late 80's early 90's FEWWWWW!!!

Last edited by parralegend; Jul 4, 2011 at 03:38 AM. Reason: More info to add