Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Gauge install//firewall access

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2011, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauge install//firewall access

Hello all...
I have searched and come up with mixed results, but I found something today that made me very happy! I have begun an install of 2 AEM gauges in a REXSPEED pod. Pretty standard stuff- its been done and posted over and over I know. Here is where I got pretty stoked: A while back I installed a sub and amp, and the biggest PITA was how to route a power lead through the firewall. In that case I went through the grommet for the main wiring harness. Not my first choice, but I wanted the cleanest and least detectable wiring install. When it came to the gauges, I was hesitant to try and find a pass through but took my time and looked over and over. Low and behold... If you pull the insulation mat under what I assume is the spot where a clutch pedal assembly would be, is a blank unused grommet. Its just to the left of the cut out and you can get to it if you poke around that insulation. It pops out in the engine bay just behind the drivers side strut tower and is perfect for running power etc etc. You do have to remove and reinstall 1 relay so you can get better access to the spot, but its what I have been after for quite some time. I plan on posting some pics this weekend, since I plan on putting a little silicone sealant around the grommet hole as insurance against any leaks. Don't think its necessary, but i am very **** when it comes to my wiring. Hope this helps, maybe you guru's already know about this spot but I had not seen anything in the past.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 05:59 PM

Size

Oh and by the way... Its about a 1 inch grommet so there is plenty of room for connectors etc.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, it's a perfect spot for wiring to go through the firewall! Hats off to Mitsu for actually leaving a spare hole...

My Inno LC-1 wiring passes through there. It took ages to get it through the first time, but I've got better at it with practice.

I found I needed to remove the stock airbox to get my hand all the way up to the grommet. Sounds like you did a similar trick, but with a relay fitting instead.

Rich
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:20 PM
Evolving Member

Nice find. Wish I knew about this spot when I installed my gauges.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 03:46 AM
Evolved Member

Yup, good find... might come in handy if I do a battery relocation...
Old Jun 30, 2011, 04:05 AM

Oh yes, and by the way... My description is from inside the cabin. I spent a significant amount of time under the hood searching for a pass through, with no luck. Its very hard to see this under the hood, since the brake booster and master cylinder tend to hide that area. Once you push a fish line or wire through however, its very easy to find.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Excellent! Thanks for sharing!
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:55 AM
yip
Evolving Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Any pics of the gauges installed?
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:45 AM

Pictures

I plan on posting some pics this weekend when I finish things up and clean everything up for good.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:50 AM
yip
Evolving Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by SPSERG
I plan on posting some pics this weekend when I finish things up and clean everything up for good.
Looking forward to seeing them
Old Jul 3, 2011, 07:43 AM

Photos

I am still doing my best with uploading pics, let me see if this works:

Old Jul 3, 2011, 07:44 AM

Relay

Old Jul 3, 2011, 07:49 AM

Talking Description

Ok folks... Here is a brief description of what these pics are: The first pic shows the grommet and those are the gauge lines I ran through it. Pretty simple, in fact you can see the hood cable in the foreground. No offense, but I was not going out through the fender to come back into the engine bay.

The second photo is that relay you must remove to get access to that grommet. Use a 10mm socket and that relay and its bracket can be pulled to get at that grommet. As soon as you pull that relay you will see the grommet!! And yes, my back is still killing me from laying on that floor!!
Old Jul 3, 2011, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SPSERG
Ok folks... Here is a brief description of what these pics are: The first pic shows the grommet and those are the gauge lines I ran through it. Pretty simple, in fact you can see the hood cable in the foreground. No offense, but I was not going out through the fender to come back into the engine bay.

The second photo is that relay you must remove to get access to that grommet. Use a 10mm socket and that relay and its bracket can be pulled to get at that grommet. As soon as you pull that relay you will see the grommet!! And yes, my back is still killing me from laying on that floor!!
Nice work man...but you think you can get some farther away pics just so we can see where it is? Just wondering lol. I plan to install my boost gauge soon!
Old Jul 4, 2011, 08:22 AM

Install updates

Ok here is the scoop... I snapped a few pics to give you folks a better idea where the location is, unfortunately I did not take any more with the panel removed. I think this should be enough to get you started, but if not let me know and I will see what i can do...

Last edited by SPSERG; Jul 4, 2011 at 08:31 AM.