Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Worrying new noise

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Worrying new noise

So as of this past Saturday my motor started making a new noise that sounded like knocking at first ( no not the transmission i know what that noise is) got to work and called one of the guys i work with over to see if he recognized the sound said it sounded like one of my valves, valve springs getting stuck. (putting it out there hes a master tech at nissan and has alot of experience 25 years or so) so we flushed my motor cleaned my pcv valve to make sure it wasnt that producing the noise too and it stopped for two days. Well today got to work and just got off for lunch started my car went back inside came back out after it had warmed up and its making the noise again and to top it off my injectors are being more loud than normal, which for our cars are already noisy. Does anyone have any idea what this might be? bad pcv valve just being loud? Valve springs needing adjustments? Im at 32,000 miles cobb ebcs, borla catback stage two tune access port tune on 91 fuel. im going to try and upload a video here in a second.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:05 AM

Link to video

Old Apr 29, 2015, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can never hear problems in these videos lmao

Umm unplug injectors one by one seeing if the "odd" noise stops. I doubt it's the injectors...

Where is the sound coming from in the engine bay? Does the sound stop when driving? Could you put the car into drive with the e brake on and the sound stops?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 07:38 PM

noise doesnt stop when in gear and its not my injectors i know that. its almost like the sst noise but less frequent and higher pitched. i pulled my spark plugs yesterday and ran a compression test and all was good with those. im about ready to pull my valve cover and see if anything is loose up there. id measure it all but i dont have a micrometer or anything for fine measurements.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 07:11 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
hEAD DOWN TO HARBOR FREIGHT AND PICK UP A CALIPER AND MICROMETER FOR 50 BUCKS TOTAL....THEY ARENT THE GREATEST QUALITY AT ALL BUT THEY WILL GET THE JOB DONE WHICH IS WHAT YOU NEED NOW.

PS pardon my caps, I use caps lock alot at work and forget about it.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:38 AM

HAHA dont worry about it, and yeah ill probably have to do that today.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Fwiw I would bet on loose rocker caps or something along those lines...does the noise match engine speed?
Old May 2, 2015, 06:40 AM

It does and it doesn't. When the car is under load but no boost i can hear it matching somewhat but when i get into boost it goes away.