Notices
Lancer Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech Discuss forced induction related specs and upgrades for custom aftermarket setups.

all these issues with RRM turbo is worrying me

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2004, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all these issues with RRM turbo is worrying me

i am like 500$ away from a auto non IC turbo. and i see these topics about ppl's cars running badly. most are rrm stage 2.. will i have all these problems with a non IC auto turbo. if i do, could someone name them, and tell me how freqently they occur. also how much do these problems cost to get rid of them.

{please help me out}... (hehe FF11 auto traslate)
Old Nov 26, 2004, 10:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
read the posts more and find that they are getting corrected... errors have all been in the install except for one person. He's got restricted intake issues...

LISTEN GUYS... stage 2 is setup to run on a full out setup! IE: Ported intake manifold, bigger TB, RRM header, No 2nd cat, And highflow exhaust. The setup runs fine without some of these mods but there is a power loss as well as a "RICH" code posibility. The car needs the bigger air volume for stage 2 setups. The car will not have any reliability or damage though if ran a little rich due to not having all the mods and will still put down more power than any other kit as well. For full effectiveness you need to duplicate the setup that RRM used.

RRM will sell you the setup without all those mods... they recommend them. However they know you'll have more power than before even lacking some items.

Installs need to be meticulious and attention to details NEEDS to happen. Most don't then they pop here with "CAR RUNS LIKE CRAP" or "RRM STAGE 2 ISSUES" or "blah blah blah...!"

What really pisses me off is when they have an issue most don't call RRM they post about it. Thanks for giving the chance to get it solved. The ones that do call don't post as they fix their install error. IF YOU CANT INSTALL IT RIGHT DON'T BLAME RRM!!" Thus far all but one issue has been due to install errors. One is due to not following the setup correctly mod wise... but RRM is to blame for that right?? Even though all the mods were posted on the original thread.

People want to make EYE CATCHING posts about things but then don't want to make EYE CATCHING posts about their errors and how they feel blaming RRM for their mistakes...

Thanks for the friggin support guys... your great!

NUFF SAID!!
Old Nov 26, 2004, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

Word. NUFF SAID!
Old Nov 26, 2004, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

woah boe, little offtopic rage there lol ?
Old Nov 26, 2004, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

But he does have a point!
Old Nov 27, 2004, 12:14 AM
Evolved Member

sad but true, that's what happens with a lot of products. Instead of sleeping on it and calling the company in the morning to get some resolution, every jackhole with an internet connection tries to shut the company down before 1AM . . . . . a lot of times it's just stupid ish. And the worst part is I hardly ever see anyone come back and say "damn, I'm a retard and forgot to hook my batter back up. Those guys have really really patient customer service and I'll def do biz with them again"

The dude with restricted intake issues PM'd me (I don't know why. I won't go turbo, I use and eManage instead of a piggy, and I didn't have anything to do with his tuning) and sure enough, I can see how a fuel map for a stage 2 would make the ECU think "damn, that's a lot of fuel!!" if there's not sufficent air intake to mix with all of that fuel

Suffice to say I've been on these boards long enough to know that the RRM and RPW turbo kits are solid.
Old Nov 27, 2004, 03:15 AM
Evolved Member

now i feel bad i didnt mean any harm.....

Last edited by thereasonsf3; Nov 27, 2004 at 03:16 AM. Reason: typo
Old Nov 27, 2004, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Hello everyone. I am "the dude" with the restricted intake, supposedly. Whether that is true or not remains to be seen. What is posted up there does not fall in line with what RoadRace told me. They told me that the only thing needed was a header, point blank. Nothing was mentioned about a test pipe, axle-back exhaust, intake manifold or throttle body. Not a damn thing about them! Since then, I now have the test pipe and Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, so I went a little further than just an axle-back. With that being said, is it fair to say that what was said to me in person and what really is needed is wrong?

Last edited by Dookie; Nov 27, 2004 at 09:21 AM. Reason: More information
Old Nov 27, 2004, 11:11 AM
.L.
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dookie
. They told me that the only thing needed was a header, point blank. Nothing was mentioned about a test pipe, axle-back exhaust, intake manifold or throttle body. Not a damn thing about them!

sometimes people just mess up and give you the wrong answer. just a simple mistake. they dont do it on purpose. best thing to do would be to double and triple check from different people that are familiar with the system.
Old Nov 27, 2004, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dookie
Hello everyone. I am "the dude" with the restricted intake, supposedly. Whether that is true or not remains to be seen. What is posted up there does not fall in line with what RoadRace told me. They told me that the only thing needed was a header, point blank. Nothing was mentioned about a test pipe, axle-back exhaust, intake manifold or throttle body. Not a damn thing about them! Since then, I now have the test pipe and Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, so I went a little further than just an axle-back. With that being said, is it fair to say that what was said to me in person and what really is needed is wrong?
i have seen you on theses boards for awhile now...and its not like to just up an decided(or have never heard of RRM before your purchase)...but im sure you did do a little research before you bought the kit...and you would have found out that the lancers most restictive part is the exhaust(from the header to your bumper)...im not saying that they did...but they probably assumed that since this guy is buying a turbo kit, he must know a little something about them and that a standard cat-back would have helped you out a lot. there are always two sides to a story...most people have the normal bolt-ns done beofre buying such a big mod....so i assume that they presummed
Old Nov 27, 2004, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lookslikeanevo
i have seen you on theses boards for awhile now...and its not like to just up an decided(or have never heard of RRM before your purchase)...but im sure you did do a little research before you bought the kit...and you would have found out that the lancers most restictive part is the exhaust(from the header to your bumper)...im not saying that they did...but they probably assumed that since this guy is buying a turbo kit, he must know a little something about them and that a standard cat-back would have helped you out a lot. there are always two sides to a story...most people have the normal bolt-ns done beofre buying such a big mod....so i assume that they presummed
That could be...

I did drive down there in person to have the LSD installed by them and picked the turbo up at the same time. They had my car torn apart and saw that at the time, I had absolutely zero mods and was driving home with Stage 2 in my back seat...
Old Nov 28, 2004, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boeturbolancer
read the posts more and find that they are getting corrected... errors have all been in the install except for one person. He's got restricted intake issues...

LISTEN GUYS... stage 2 is setup to run on a full out setup! IE: Ported intake manifold, bigger TB, RRM header, No 2nd cat, And highflow exhaust. The setup runs fine without some of these mods but there is a power loss as well as a "RICH" code posibility. The car needs the bigger air volume for stage 2 setups. The car will not have any reliability or damage though if ran a little rich due to not having all the mods and will still put down more power than any other kit as well. For full effectiveness you need to duplicate the setup that RRM used.

RRM will sell you the setup without all those mods... they recommend them. However they know you'll have more power than before even lacking some items.

Installs need to be meticulious and attention to details NEEDS to happen. Most don't then they pop here with "CAR RUNS LIKE CRAP" or "RRM STAGE 2 ISSUES" or "blah blah blah...!"

What really pisses me off is when they have an issue most don't call RRM they post about it. Thanks for giving the chance to get it solved. The ones that do call don't post as they fix their install error. IF YOU CANT INSTALL IT RIGHT DON'T BLAME RRM!!" Thus far all but one issue has been due to install errors. One is due to not following the setup correctly mod wise... but RRM is to blame for that right?? Even though all the mods were posted on the original thread.

People want to make EYE CATCHING posts about things but then don't want to make EYE CATCHING posts about their errors and how they feel blaming RRM for their mistakes...

Thanks for the friggin support guys... your great!

NUFF SAID!!

rather than starting this whole nonsense about people not installing them correct and bashing the company for there own mistake, answer is still needed our fellow freind who has a question.. all he/she wanted to kno if there any mechanical problems.. all is needed to be said is that there are no problems with the kit. if there any problems it could have been the instalation of it or not having the prep mods and etc. i'm sure this person didn't want to start a thread where people get angry over. he wanted a question answer.. if this has been on the forums already than a simple word would have solved it. search
Old Nov 28, 2004, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

somethings that arent really problems but issues that may come up:

-wastegate gasket has a big habit of blowing and leaking
-the 2g bov that comes with it cant hold too much boost, so upgrading to a better bov when increasing boost may be necessary
-cant really think of anything else right now
Old Nov 28, 2004, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pgmike

-the 2g bov that comes with it cant hold too much boost, so upgrading to a better bov when increasing boost may be necessary
About the wastegate gasket...I ended up going with an all copper one to prevent this. So far (fingers crossed), it hasn't blown and I would like to think it won't. SCE makes the gasket and fits perfect. They also make a collector gasket for the header to up pipe connection and the turbo downpipe to B-pipe connection. I had to ream the two bolt holes out a little bit, but I had a problem or two with these gaskets blowing out here also from the heat, I assume. Look on Summit Racing's website under collector gaskets.

About the original question, I have very little doubt that you will have problems with a Non I/C kit. There is very little piping and the fuel injectors aren't messed with. Just remember, the more power you try to squeeze out of a motor, the more things must be tampered with from the factory. That being said, things are more bound to go wrong on a Stage 2 install compared to a Non I/C install. Don't have doubts in RoadRace. It's safe to assume there are hundreds, if not thousands, of kits out there and the problems you see on this board are a very small percentage of them. It just sucks cause I'm part of the small percentage.
Old Nov 28, 2004, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pgmike

thats more of a response... thank you

Quick Reply: all these issues with RRM turbo is worrying me