Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Power gains: Cat-back vs Axle back

Old Mar 14, 2017, 02:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power gains: Cat-back vs Axle back

Hi!

So I have done some digging around when it comes to exhaust upgrades to the RA. There are a few cat-back systems out there, but when reading about the RA stock turbo being small, and that the stock diameter of the RA exhaust being at 2,5", are there really any big gains to be had with a cat-back over an axle-back? This is of course assuming that the stock turbo is used.

I am considering 2 options: the DC sports cat-back or the Ultimate Racing axle-back. My concern with the cat-back is that it might be a bit loud for daily use, which is why I am considering the axle-back.

/Rob
Old Mar 14, 2017, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

exhaust

I have the DC sports single catback. It's definitely louder than stock, but has a nice deep tone and meets the 95 decibel limit. My car is a daily driver as well. There's a resonator on the midpipe which helps also.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The difference between the cbe and the axle back is neglable. The cat is the biggest restriction in the system. Obviously if you want to keep it quite you want something with an actual muffler but don't shy away from a cbe solely dye to noise over an axle back.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by hearnoevo
I have the DC sports single catback. It's definitely louder than stock, but has a nice deep tone and meets the 95 decibel limit. My car is a daily driver as well. There's a resonator on the midpipe which helps also.
Cool, I've heard varying opinions on the noise of that system, but I think most people consider it to be quiet in comparison to other exhausts, especially the UR ones.

Originally Posted by DWILSON357
The difference between the cbe and the axle back is neglable. The cat is the biggest restriction in the system. Obviously if you want to keep it quite you want something with an actual muffler but don't shy away from a cbe solely dye to noise over an axle back.
I though so as well
Old Mar 19, 2017, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a Borla CBE on mine, but it was way too loud for me imo, especially the highway drone. I ended up taking mine off, I think I rather stick with oem exhaust for now, though may do a Downpipe/HFC down the road.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:09 PM

I have the DC dual exit cat back and it's not as loud as some of the others out there. Now that I have a high flow cat it's gotten louder, but still not crazy loud.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by FoxFMX
I have the DC dual exit cat back and it's not as loud as some of the others out there. Now that I have a high flow cat it's gotten louder, but still not crazy loud.
Cool. What about droning? And was it affected by you switching to HFC?
Old Apr 4, 2017, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by robban87
Cool. What about droning? And was it affected by you switching to HFC?
All exhaust systems will have some droning. I don't think it's too bad. I don't think adding the HFC really made much of a difference with the droning. Seems about the same.