Notices

Best springs?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2010, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alterna
I bought a set of Robispec springs a few weeks ago, and really like the improved ride. They seem a bit softer at first, but quickly stiffen when cornering during a spirited drive.

I didn't buy to drop ride height, and think they only lowered the car a couple cm, maybe an inch.
Are Robispec's variable rate springs?
Old Apr 21, 2010, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
I have RRM springs. I don't know what "problems" you are referring to, but I certainly haven't noticed any.
+1. the only thing i ran into was using the stock struts, i had to cut 1 section out of the front bump stops. other than that, they've been great. i hear robi's spring rates are a little more performance oriented, but then again, how often do i really track the car. the rrms are definitely the drop i was looking for, aesthetically speaking
Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:06 AM
Evolving Member

I've got the RRM's on my car. Didn't have to trim stops or anything. car feels a lot firmer now. This is one of the more aggressive spring drops around, and makes the car look really good. We get crazy snow up here though, so might not be the best choice if you're going to drive it year round.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 07:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chops
I've got the RRM's on my car. Didn't have to trim stops or anything. car feels a lot firmer now. This is one of the more aggressive spring drops around, and makes the car look really good. We get crazy snow up here though, so might not be the best choice if you're going to drive it year round.
+1

My springs fit like a glove. They handle fine in the snow, too.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

They drop the car approximately 3cm (1 inch).

Robi's are progressive rate. Softer than stock for about 1cm, then they are rock-hard.

I've had no rubbing issues, and I beat the crap out of my car. I bottom them out last week...But truth-be-told, it was just prior to launching over the railroad tracks which cross Westheimer at the Galleria (forgot they were there, and I was late for a meeting @ Greenway Plaza). Didn't notice them bottom on landing, but it landed pretty flat. When it warms up a bit, I'm gonna see how it handles on the logging roads at the Nat. Forest...Gonna do a quasi- wanna-be rally race/Pygmy Rattlesnake hunt combo thingy.

http://www.robispec.com/products/?ca...alliart-08+-52

Last edited by Alterna; Apr 22, 2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Awesome to hear! Though I need to roll my fenders before considering springs.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 02:21 PM
Evolving Member

def getting these.. will have pics up when i do
Old Apr 22, 2010, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

launching over the railroad tracks which cross Westheimer at the Galleria
Ouch! That's not a good spot to go flying over. Makes me cringe just thinking about it.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

They drop the car approximately 3cm (1 inch).

Robi's are progressive rate. Softer than stock for about 1cm, then they are rock-hard.

I've had no rubbing issues, and I beat the crap out of my car. I bottom them out last week...But truth-be-told, it was just prior to launching over the railroad tracks which cross Westheimer at the Galleria (forgot they were there, and I was late for a meeting @ Greenway Plaza). Didn't notice them bottom on landing, but it landed pretty flat. When it warms up a bit, I'm gonna see how it handles on the logging roads at the Nat. Forest...Gonna do a quasi- wanna-be rally race/Pygmy Rattlesnake hunt combo thingy.

http://www.robispec.com/products/?ca...alliart-08+-52
Could you further explain the progressive rate? Also, how is comfort and handling.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by laksman91
Could you further explain the progressive rate? Also, how is comfort and handling.
Progressive or variable rate springs are springs that increase spring rate as they compress. For example, the springs might be 100 lbs/inch rate for the first inch of compression and then jump to 200 lbs/inch rate for the next inch of compression.

Despite what many "performance-minded" people might tell you, higher spring rate does not always mean better, even in terms of pure performance. Ideally, you should run the lowest spring rate possible so that your tires are in constant contact with the surface. However, because performance cars often create a huge amount of down force (making the car seem heavier than it actually is), they are usually equipped with higher spring rates than would normally be necessary. Progressive/variable rate springs cover both areas, so despite sometimes being softer than stock during daily driving (better ride feel than stock), they are the better performance option (the spring rates at deeper compression are usually much higher than stock).
Old Apr 22, 2010, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nmilsaps
Ouch! That's not a good spot to go flying over. Makes me cringe just thinking about it.

Whoa where you houston you guys live? I go to houston all the time; I have a house down there, I'm in dallas now...we should all meet up one day...all RA's in austin;houston;sa thatll be cool...and take some major pix.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

I live near NASA, but work @290 and the Beltway. Most days I ride so I can use the HOV, otherwise the commute is brutal. Originally I'm from Pecos-Balmorhea/Ft. Davis-Alpine areas of Texas.

Last edited by Alterna; Apr 23, 2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by laksman91
The ride is softer under normal driving, but quickly get stiffer-most noticeable difference when hard braking or cornering.