Notices

Coilover recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2011, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coilover recommendations

Debating on getting springs or just spending the money on coilovers, haven't made my final decision. I don't plan on racing this car much, if at all. It's a daily driver, might take it to car shows, who knows maybe I'd like to participate in some type of performance exhibition.

Anyway, if I go with coilovers I want to make sure I get a set that is excellent quality and will last a long time. Just checking to see who here has them installed on their Ralliarts and which ones they have. I think the two most common are the Tien's and Megan's.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 01:31 PM
Former Sponsor

BC Racing are the ones that I would get, for whatever reason. They have had multiple positive reviews on this site, and they are adjustable in all the ways that I require. Plus, that is a name that I am familiar with. Megan isn't bad, either. I bet that the price is about the same, though. So, no real savings in that department will be had.

Honestly, if you just want to lower your car, buy springs. The ride quality will suffer, but at least they don't cost an arm and a leg.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
BC Racing are the ones that I would get, for whatever reason. They have had multiple positive reviews on this site, and they are adjustable in all the ways that I require. Plus, that is a name that I am familiar with. Megan isn't bad, either. I bet that the price is about the same, though. So, no real savings in that department will be had.

Honestly, if you just want to lower your car, buy springs. The ride quality will suffer, but at least they don't cost an arm and a leg.
Well I'd like to improve handling as well. It'll be both for function and for show. I hate the stock wheel gap so I would like to reduce that even if it's only a little more than an inch (Eibach Prokits for example), but I would also like the car to handle well, with the addition of upgraded swaybars and a rear strut bar of course.

Without a lot of abuse and exposure to road salt and sand, what's the average life of a set of coilovers compared to normal shocks and struts?
Old Mar 10, 2011, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meagan and BC are made in the same place, as I recall. Just slightly different build qualities, with edge to BC
Old Mar 10, 2011, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

megan does not have any thing yet....

kw has v2 and cupsport
cusco
BC

and some there HIGHEND coilover has some as well
Old Mar 10, 2011, 01:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Get springs. Wait for upgraded shocks and struts to come out. The coilovers are not what you are looking for.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

BC also has a warranty, after the first year for $95 the will fix and re-valve any blown coilovers; that is one of their best values IMO.
I have a set of the type BR's (basic set) on my SB, and I love them. My power level was getting to the point where the stock set-up just could'nt keep up, the car started to buck and dive like crazy! Not anymore, now she feels like a little fighter jet flying around. My only qualm has nothing to do with them, but I need to tinker with the pre-load in the rear, as it's more than I would like in a DD. But again, beautiful thing about them, you can adjust ride height, spring load, and dampening (32 way). I recommend them, but if you you want to do tracking on a somewhat consistent basis, upgrade to the ER set with an extra oil reservoir.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

BravoZero, like NFS said, get springs. Doesn't sound like you can justify the cost of coilovers for what it is you want. Get a set of Swift's and call it a day
Old Mar 10, 2011, 03:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Tein Basics will do the job if you looking for show. Good reputation and quality.

BC I have mixed feelings about in terms of failure %. but I will say this, they do have a handle on the warranty process.

KW has pretty good levels of quality.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evil03

kw has v2 and cupsport
cusco
BC

I hope Megan has coilovers because i just bought some!
Old Mar 10, 2011, 07:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by evo_soul
Yeah, but KW is 3x as expensive. I can get my hands on a set of BC Racing coilovers for dirt cheap. I would be pretty upset, however, if I went to the trouble of dialing them in only to have them crap out on me. I still like them, though.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 02:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evil03

kw has v2 and cupsport
cusco
BC

KW Does not make the clubsport for the ralliart, according to them two days ago:

Code:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 12:49 PM
Subject: RE: 15265019 - KW Coilover Kit V2 Mitsubishi Lancer CY0
To: Bruce Herring <xxxxxx>

Hello Bruce, right now, we only have a V2 for that application. I looked on my list of cars they are doing in Germany, I don’t see a clubsport, but that list is a couple months old, it could be in their thoughts. Only time will tell.

Yes, then you could change spring rates. Glad to hear you are a happy customer!

Dallas Brandt
I'm in process of gathering all the info I can from all the coilover manufacturers I can to create a sticky of coilover options
Old Mar 11, 2011, 02:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
Yeah, but KW is 3x as expensive. I can get my hands on a set of BC Racing coilovers for dirt cheap. I would be pretty upset, however, if I went to the trouble of dialing them in only to have them crap out on me. I still like them, though.

KW is not really 3x the BC's. I just ordered a set of BC RAM's 8k/8k and the shipped price was right around 1250. I got a quote from GTWorx on the KW V2's for 1699. The Cheapest I could find the BC BR's was 999 shipped.

Now, with the KW V2's you CANNOT change spring rate and they use progressive springs. Nor do they include camber plates for the front so you have to figure another few hundred if you need cambner tops. If you want to customize spring rates you need to look elsewhere and if you add in the camber plates you will be looking at about 2X the cost of the BC BR's. On the plus side they are TUV approved.

Last edited by Mad_SB; Mar 11, 2011 at 03:03 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 02:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
Tein Basics will do the job if you looking for show. Good reputation and quality.

BC I have mixed feelings about in terms of failure %. but I will say this, they do have a handle on the warranty process.

I guess you did not hear all the horror stories about the teins failing at the upright on evo's a couple years ago Granted those were the flex and not the basics
Old Mar 11, 2011, 06:49 AM
Evolving Member

what are coilovers?

Quick Reply: Coilover recommendations