Notices

No fender-rolling replacement for OEM wheels

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2014, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No fender-rolling replacement for OEM wheels

Hey, I've been searching around the forums, and clearly there's a lot of diverse opinion as to what wheels work/look best, what size tires, etc.

What I'm looking for is just a simple swap-out for the OEM rims on my 2011 RA, that won't require any fender work. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just anything that looks better than the stock.

I'm afraid I'm not a wheel guy; I can follow conversations about engines, but looking at the threads talking about offsets, spacers, etc. on the wheels, my eyes just glaze over

So any suggestions that can be offered for decent wheels that won't require any kind of special work to be done for them to fit (I'd rather they not stick out, but if they do a tad, it isn't a huge deal), and decent tires to go on them, I'd really appreciate it, thanks!
Old Apr 8, 2014, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

I bought used EVO X wheels. Running 235/40/18 tires on stock evo wheels which are 8.5 inch wide. No rolling needed as long as u don't have 2 many people riding in back seats. My oldest son and his friend were in back seat other day and it rubbed a little. So truly if u go with a 8.5 or wider wheel and a 40 series tire u will probably want to roll fender lips
Old Apr 9, 2014, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

It also depends on whether or not you'll be lowering your car. That will make a huge difference as to what you'll be able to run.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you buy your wheels online and chose your model of car, they will stick to factory wheel specs or really close as to make sure your wheels will work.
TireRack, Discount tires, etc.

Most of the us on the forum want wider Tires and wheels so that is why you see so many #'s on the fitment thread.
The same wheel can look dramatically different depending on the offset so be aware when looking at pictures online. They might be a lower offset then what you can fit and not look the same.

Last edited by neogeo64; Apr 9, 2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:55 AM

2010 sportback with evo x gsr wheels 18x8.5 +38 with 245/40/18 all season tires rub in the rear at stock height. only on the biggest dips and mainly on the passesnger side. definitely have to roll the fenders with this set up.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mjp10mlrsb
2010 sportback with evo x gsr wheels 18x8.5 +38 with 245/40/18 all season tires rub in the rear at stock height. only on the biggest dips and mainly on the passesnger side. definitely have to roll the fenders with this set up.
I really dunno how honestly. I was running 18.8.75 +35 wheels with 245/40 tires dropped on Eibach Pro-Kit and never rubbed unless I hit a large drop or a big pothole. Im surprised that rubbed on stock height.
Rolling your own fenders is a piece of cake. I changed over to 225/40 tires but went with 15mm spacers and went with a larger drop with Tein Springs. I bought a Eastwood roller and it took me a couple hours to roll my rear fenders. Its well worth the cost and time to have the perfect stance IMO.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay10Ralliart
I really dunno how honestly. I was running 18.8.75 +35 wheels with 245/40 tires dropped on Eibach Pro-Kit and never rubbed unless I hit a large drop or a big pothole. Im surprised that rubbed on stock height.
Rolling your own fenders is a piece of cake. I changed over to 225/40 tires but went with 15mm spacers and went with a larger drop with Tein Springs. I bought a Eastwood roller and it took me a couple hours to roll my rear fenders. Its well worth the cost and time to have the perfect stance IMO.
And I counter your really don't know how with my own "I really don't know how" lol. I was on X wheels, with 225/45 tires and Eibach Pro Kit, and it was chewing the sidewall up on almost any significant bump I hit until I got rolled. I don't know how on Earth you got away with ~7mm more of wheel poke 10mm more tire only rubbing if you hit something major. Were you running herra frush? I was on stock alignment specs.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 01:43 PM

Brand of tires affects fitment greatly, the diffs in sidewalls/shapes can be huge.. Hankook V12s are the worst, so far.. Soooo Many noodles.

I've done about 200 rolls on 150 cars.. Yeah, sometimes it needs to be done 2x.. I'd look into doing a roll for almost any kind wheel swap. It's so much better than the results you'll get if you hit hard. There's places you can rent the roller for about $50, if you can't find a local guy to help you, contact me, and I promise you I can show how to do a roll without damaging anything, it's not that much fun, but you'll be greatful you can choose from many more wheels, as opposed to what might fit. And fitment charts don't account for evrything, like ride height, alignment, tire size, brand etc..
Old Jun 18, 2014, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Drew314
And I counter your really don't know how with my own "I really don't know how" lol. I was on X wheels, with 225/45 tires and Eibach Pro Kit, and it was chewing the sidewall up on almost any significant bump I hit until I got rolled. I don't know how on Earth you got away with ~7mm more of wheel poke 10mm more tire only rubbing if you hit something major. Were you running herra frush? I was on stock alignment specs.
Everything was stock besides the drop. Its crazy how every car is different. But when I did rub it was on on the passenger side. I know all tires are different and that may be why Im not sure. His car was at stock height though so I have no idea how he was rubbing.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
camber also plays a big roll, if you drop without adjusting the rear camber it might tuck in toward center of the car, but most want the factory camber settings which then push the top of the wheel outward toward the fender wall.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jay10Ralliart

i bought cheap antares ingens just in case it rubbed. the tread width isnt even that aggressive. a stack of same size toyo proxes was 3 inches taller than these. i definitely have to roll because i am with you on the perfect stance, and this aint it! my plan is to have the stock wheels for winter and after this gets worked out, an aggressive summer tire for the evo wheels.