Notices

Conical intakes BEWARE! TTP tunes a 2009 Ralliart with fueling problems from intake!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2009, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by xdemoulasx
luckily i didnt run it long without a tune... i installed the intake a few minutes before heading over there. so much for the company stating you dont need a tune with that intake haha
It depends on the intake, specifically the size of the MAF pipe housing. The AEM, Injen, and HKS (piece of crap BTW) lean out the car but not a lot to be dangerous like this one that TTP posted about. I do not know about the AMS. We be logging a car soon that has it and will report back.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 03:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NJ,
Fairly sure they are talking about ralliarts here not X's so your observations in relation to the injen intake on an X may not be at all relevant.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 06:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WTF!?...ok really confused..so on a ralliart the AMS intake is a no no..but on the X it's safe...I've heard from AMS that it was safe to run the intake on my car untuned...so...I guess I should take it back off..? If this is the case..then why do companies like ETS, AMS, and Buschur say you can run these things untuned on an X..please help me understand..alot of people can have severe engine damage if this is the case...
Old Jul 22, 2009, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ImsoevoX
WTF!?...ok really confused..so on a ralliart the AMS intake is a no no..but on the X it's safe...I've heard from AMS that it was safe to run the intake on my car untuned...so...I guess I should take it back off..? If this is the case..then why do companies like ETS, AMS, and Buschur say you can run these things untuned on an X..please help me understand..alot of people can have severe engine damage if this is the case...
I don't believe this Ralliart had an AMS one, it looked like another one, I will not say but just read the thread, I am not about bashing shops.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Daniel came in yesterday to get his 2009 Ralliart tuned with his new parts. Dan had brought in the car with the downpipe and testpipe installed along with an Ultimate Racing intake filter and adapter.
It appears that it's an Ultimate Racing Intake Filter and adapter, which apparently flows so well over the stock piece on a Ralliart that it leans the car out too far.

I haven't seen the Ralliart stock intake in detail but the stock Evo X has a ~2.8" housing while many intake upgrades use a 3" housing. While the change is sigificant it usually ends up being between .5 and 1.0 AFR leaner which on a stock Evo X will push you from high 9's to high 10's and is USUALLY safe without a tune. The stock timing advance tables are pretty aggressive so getting a tune is still what I would recommend, especially if other parts are thrown in and you are increasing boost levels.

Unfortunately for this buyer, he received great results however his fueling maps are maxed out at 7.4afr in the ECU and it is still in the 12's AFR due to the intake design.
Probably the only way around the maxxed out 7.4 values in the fuel tables would be to use injector scaling. Either reduce the size you are reporting to the ecu to make everything richer or get larger injectors and don't report them as being as large. Sounds like that Intake was leaning things out like crazy, are you sure there weren't intake or boost leaks anywhere?
Old Jul 22, 2009, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

I feel sorry for you guys at TTP. Every time you bring an example of this up, every dummy who has no idea what you just said reply and mucks up the thread in the first page. There's enough misinformation in the first page to turn your hair gray! I'd have thrown my hands up in frustration by now Cheers to your perserverance!

To everyone who's still on the short bus (apparently all but a couple of the repliers so far): increasing intake airflow should NOT lean the car out. That increased airflow should get detected by the MAF sensor, which should cause the car to add more fuel in compensation for the increased airflow and maintain the SAME target AFR that the ECU is tuned to achieve. At least until the point where the weakest link in the fuel delivery system is maxed out (not the case here).

What's happening with intakes that modify the dimensions of the MAF housing is that they are causing the MAF sensor to basically become miscalibrated, and causing it to detect less air than is actually flowing into the engine. How can you expect the engine to work properly if it doesn't even really know how much air it's working with? More importantly, how can you expect any other performance modifications to be designed to safely work with a car who's engine now effectively has faulty sensors?

No wonder Mitsu blindly voids warranties when they see aftermarket anything. With people accepting this practice as ok out of ignorance, I can't blame them. It's not worth their time to do all the home work for you, after the fact. If you want to change the intake and still have any warranty, you better be able to PROVE that the intake you installed did not change the way any of the engine sensors work. Heck, I'd run the idea and your testing plans by your dealer first and get their blessing. Most will work with you if you show you know what you're talking about and are making an effort to make be open and do things safely.

I know we'll have someone who says 'All I'm ever going to do is put an intake on my car. I'll never get it tuned anyawy, so isn't this like also getting a free tune with your intake?'. I see your point, but is the extra 10whp you'll get over just a $50 performance box filter worth more than 100k miles of PT warranty if that's really all you're going to do? If so, accept that fact now and remember it when you feel like crying on the forums about Mitsu voiding your warranty over an intake
Old Jul 22, 2009, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

ok now i know this is for a 2009 lancer 2.4l injen CAI and not a ralliart or evo x but is this what you guys are talking about may be bad for the engine.

these photos are close up camera phone shots of the injens new intake for the 2009 lancer. notice the pipe inside that allows air to flow to the engine without the maf sensor detecting it...
Old Jul 22, 2009, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blk-majik
I feel sorry for you guys at TTP. Every time you bring an example of this up, every dummy who has no idea what you just said reply and mucks up the thread in the first page. There's enough misinformation in the first page to turn your hair gray! I'd have thrown my hands up in frustration by now Cheers to your perserverance!

To everyone who's still on the short bus (apparently all but a couple of the repliers so far): increasing intake airflow should NOT lean the car out. That increased airflow should get detected by the MAF sensor, which should cause the car to add more fuel in compensation for the increased airflow and maintain the SAME target AFR that the ECU is tuned to achieve. At least until the point where the weakest link in the fuel delivery system is maxed out (not the case here).

What's happening with intakes that modify the dimensions of the MAF housing is that they are causing the MAF sensor to basically become miscalibrated, and causing it to detect less air than is actually flowing into the engine. How can you expect the engine to work properly if it doesn't even really know how much air it's working with? More importantly, how can you expect any other performance modifications to be designed to safely work with a car who's engine now effectively has faulty sensors?

No wonder Mitsu blindly voids warranties when they see aftermarket anything. With people accepting this practice as ok out of ignorance, I can't blame them. It's not worth their time to do all the home work for you, after the fact. If you want to change the intake and still have any warranty, you better be able to PROVE that the intake you installed did not change the way any of the engine sensors work. Heck, I'd run the idea and your testing plans by your dealer first and get their blessing. Most will work with you if you show you know what you're talking about and are making an effort to make be open and do things safely.

I know we'll have someone who says 'All I'm ever going to do is put an intake on my car. I'll never get it tuned anyawy, so isn't this like also getting a free tune with your intake?'. I see your point, but is the extra 10whp you'll get over just a $50 performance box filter worth more than 100k miles of PT warranty if that's really all you're going to do? If so, accept that fact now and remember it when you feel like crying on the forums about Mitsu voiding your warranty over an intake
This is true, but this is why if you are going to increase the size of area around the MAF sensor, you simply need to tune the car, enough said, otherwise stick to a panel filter.

However my dyno clearly shows that the car is still ridiculously rich, so in my case it would not have mattered but I was getting tuned regardless, it was a baseline with the parts installed.

You kind of make it seem like its bad to get an intake that does this, but I think you are simply trying to stress the point that people need to tune their cars, lol.

TUNE PEOPLE TUNE, its worth every penny, otherwise stick to exhaust's and rims.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blk-majik

All of this is completely understandable; throwing in a better filter would allow for more air to flow through but you still keep the stock MAF housing dimension which in reality wont require you to tune the ECU to accept the MAF changes; someone here said something about AMS saying their Ralliart Intake kit can be run with NO tune and that is NOT TRUE; They clearly state to "tune right away or serious engine damage can occur"... I've always considered a box filter to be the safest way to go; most tuner shop can get those 65+ horses on an Evo X with a tune and box filter so why not going the safe way and keep it simple, and retain your warranty (but again that depends on the the dealer you're "dealing" with most of the time);
Old Jul 22, 2009, 09:11 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ralliarts run considerably leaner than Evo X due to their lower boost looking up leaner AFR in the fueling maps.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Ralliarts run considerably leaner than Evo X due to their lower boost looking up leaner AFR in the fueling maps.
Interesting, good info. So Ralliarts should for sure get a tune if they want to add an intake that does anything with the MAF enclosure, end of topic, lol.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 09:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just to clear the air as this thread is a little misleading.

In regards to AMS products and AMS PRODUCTS ONLY!

On an EVO X you can run an AMS intake without a tune SAFELY!
On a 2009 Ralliart you CANNOT run an AMS intake without a tune.

They are two TOTALLY Different animals.

Again the problem is with the RALLIART ONLY in regards to AMS PRODUCTS ONLY

We cannot speak for any other intake on the market but we suspect that any intake for the ralliart that changes the diameter or anything to do with the MAF will cause a lean condition.

Eric
Old Jul 22, 2009, 09:57 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by murlo26
Interesting, good info. So Ralliarts should for sure get a tune if they want to add an intake that does anything with the MAF enclosure, end of topic, lol.
No, not exactly... In this case EVEN WITH A TUNE, the car could not be richened up enough for safe, reliable use.

The product was probably developed for Evo X and they may have thought it was OK to use on Ralliart since it is OK on Evo X.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 09:58 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
Just to clear the air as this thread is a little misleading.

In regards to AMS products and AMS PRODUCTS ONLY!

On an EVO X you can run an AMS intake without a tune SAFELY!
On a 2009 Ralliart you CANNOT run an AMS intake without a tune.

They are two TOTALLY Different animals.

Again the problem is with the RALLIART ONLY in regards to AMS PRODUCTS ONLY

We cannot speak for any other intake on the market but we suspect that any intake for the ralliart that changes the diameter or anything to do with the MAF will cause a lean condition.

Eric
Thanks for the input Eric.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 10:21 AM
EvoM Community Team

Great job by TTP to bring this issue in front of everyone.

Great post by blk-majik. What he said needed to be said.

Great post by AMS to set things straight after all the misinformation about their product...even though their product was not installed on the car in question.

Quick Reply: Conical intakes BEWARE! TTP tunes a 2009 Ralliart with fueling problems from intake!