Notices

3 error codes (GST related?)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2010, 01:03 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kieffer87
I installed my boost pill today and upgraded to your linked flash. I took it out earlier in the day without any problems however later in the evening it was 3 degrees out and I was getting on the highway in 2nd gear ran to around 6200rpm and it bucked extremely hard when i shifted to 3rd and threw a CEL. I didn't have a chance to watch my boost gauge to see if it spiked but this would be my guess.

I'll let you know the codes tomorrow.
The linked flash ROM in post #7 in this thread?

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it.

- Bryan
Old Jan 3, 2010, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GST Motorsports

- Bryan
No problem Bryan, we really appreciate all that you've done for the community. I'm actually trying to determine if the "bucking" is coming from something that's not right with your basemap(93 octane w/ upgraded boost pill), or if the real culprit is that it's been very cold and I need to get the AWC reflash that Mitsubishi put out recently. What do you think? I was planning to reflash back to the factory stock basemap tomorrow and take my car into the dealership and have them complete the AWC reflash, and then re-download your GST basemap for 93 octane w/ upgraded boost pill and see what happens. Do you think that's a good plan?
Old Jan 3, 2010, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

- Bryan
Bryan first thanks again for all your hard work on these ROMs and your time spent messing around with us cold weather guys!

Yes I am currently using this new flash ROM that is linked in post #7. I'll go out and pull the codes here in a bit once the car warms up a bit, -3 degrees is just too cold to be sitting out there
Old Jan 3, 2010, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Slee256
No problem Bryan, we really appreciate all that you've done for the community. I'm actually trying to determine if the "bucking" is coming from something that's not right with your basemap(93 octane w/ upgraded boost pill), or if the real culprit is that it's been very cold and I need to get the AWC reflash that Mitsubishi put out recently. What do you think? I was planning to reflash back to the factory stock basemap tomorrow and take my car into the dealership and have them complete the AWC reflash, and then re-download your GST basemap for 93 octane w/ upgraded boost pill and see what happens. Do you think that's a good plan?

I was also curious of this but I read the AWC service bulletin and my car was manufactured after the date that is supposedly affected by this flash. It feels more like fuel being cut to me when it does happen. Something engine related not driveline.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

Just as I thought P0234 Overboost.

Thanks again Bryan.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kieffer87
I was also curious of this but I read the AWC service bulletin and my car was manufactured after the date that is supposedly affected by this flash. It feels more like fuel being cut to me when it does happen. Something engine related not driveline.
How could it NOT apply to your car, since the recall affects all 09-10 Ralliarts produced before 8/28/09, and your profile says that you drive an 09 Ralliart? I'm pretty sure all 2009 models were produced before 8/28/09. Only the 2010 models should have been manufactured after this date.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Slee256
How could it NOT apply to your car, since the recall affects all 09-10 Ralliarts produced before 8/28/09, and your profile says that you drive an 09 Ralliart? I'm pretty sure all 2009 models were produced before 8/28/09. Only the 2010 models should have been manufactured after this date.
I might have to look again but when I looked originally it was manufactured like 2 months after the bulletin cutoff. I'll have to talk to the dealer when I go in to get a couple recalls done.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

When did you guys flash your car? Was it before 11/5/09?

Either way, load this map and let me know if the problem still exists:

Cold weather updated 91 Base Flash with Pill

- Bryan
Hey Brian, are you planning on a cold weather update for the 91 Base Flash without Boost Pill?

Not sure if you have heard but, there is a member on here that has encountered this same issue using the 91 Base Flash w/o Boost Pill. You probably have already heard about it by now.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

- Bryan
For Bryan at GST, I think I've figured out for sure what's causing the hard bucking at full throttle in the 3rd/4th gear range(I'm running the GST basemap for 93 octane with upgraded Boost Pill). Today I flashed back to the stock/factory basemap and duplicated the conditions that I had the problem with over the weekend. The temperature was in the 20's again today and I gave it full throttle in sport mode on the same stretch of road that I had the bucking problem over the weekend, and even though I tried numerous times I could not get the car to jerk hard on me while running the factory tune like it did with the GST basemap. Also, while I was doing this test I had my ScanGauge II hooked up to record AFR, and I noticed a huge difference in the AFR at wide open throttle between the factory tune and the GST tune. With the GST tune the AFR pretty much was always locked on at 14.6 no matter if I was crusing with light throttle, or whether I was giving it full throttle and accelerating hard. On the other hand, with the factory tune, it stayed at 14.6 during light throttle, but dropped all the way down to the 11-13 range during full throttle and hard acceleration. Anyway, I hope this is helpful feedback for you, since I know several people have experienced similar problems with bucking and Check Engine Lights. So, if you're feeling inclined to produce a few cold weather basemaps, I'm sure lots of people in the colder parts of the country including myself would benefit greatly from using them during the winter months!
Old Jan 4, 2010, 03:54 PM
Account Disabled

Is the jerk like hard hitting a brick wall? Wanting to throw you through the windshield? If it is, that is fuel cut, which probably came from a overboost in the cold weather, so actually the safety net is doing it's job.

As far as AFR from ScanGauge II, you need a wideband AFR sensor to log actual AFR. The ScanGauge goes off the factory narrowband which is not accurate for showing actual AFR at all.

Let me know how violent the jerking was. Did you run the factory map with the GST upgraded boost pill?

Also are you using the "beta" flash I posted in post #7 here?

- Bryan
Old Jan 4, 2010, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Is the jerk like hard hitting a brick wall? Wanting to throw you through the windshield? If it is, that is fuel cut, which probably came from a overboost in the cold weather, so actually the safety net is doing it's job.

As far as AFR from ScanGauge II, you need a wideband AFR sensor to log actual AFR. The ScanGauge goes off the factory narrowband which is not accurate for showing actual AFR at all.

Let me know how violent the jerking was. Did you run the factory map with the GST upgraded boost pill?

Also are you using the "beta" flash I posted in post #7 here?

- Bryan
Bryan, thanks for the quick reply. I'd say that "hitting a brick wall" is definitely overstating the case, but the best way I can describe the "jerk" is that it felt like someone slammed on the brakes for a split second while I was giving it full throttle. In answer to your second question, I DID NOT run the factory map with the upgraded boost pill, but rather I switched out the boost harness and boost pill back to the factory/OEM equipment at the same time that I reflashed back to the factory/stock map. In reference to your last question, I DID NOT try the "beta" flash that you posted in #7 here because it said it was for 91 octane gas, and we run 93 octane here in the Baltimore area, so the only GST basemap that I've ever run is your 93 octane with upgraded boost pill map. Feel free to write back with any other questions, I'm just trying to help out here!
Old Jan 4, 2010, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

HI GST, yes, the one from post 7.

And now tested to -20, while TRYING to make it error out, and no issues.

Thanks again!
Old Jan 4, 2010, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by suprPHREAK
HI GST, yes, the one from post 7.

And now tested to -20, while TRYING to make it error out, and no issues.

Thanks again!
I tried getting it to overboost again as well without any luck 25 psi was the highest it would spike when it was 8 degrees out. I think the other day must of been a fluke.