Notices

Boost Control?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2009, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost Control?

Okay, before I get flamed here, I did a search with no solid results.

My question is, what is the best method for boost control in the RA?

Manual, electronic, or just a simple boost pill?

AMS claims the best method (reliability factor here!) is a boost pill. From their website:

Using one of these pills is the only method of boost control that we recommend for any car with the SST transmission (i.e. any EVO MR, or any Ralliart)
Because of the unique way that the transmission gets loaded, unloaded, clutch released, etc. Manual boost controllers and electronic boost controllers do not work very well on these cars. When using an MBC or EBC on these cars they are very prone to boost spikes and overshooting of boost, resulting in very poor driveability.

The stock ECU in both the Ralliart and the EVO X has a 3D table for defining boost solenoid duty cycle which helps to regulate the turbo speed at low throttle conditions, and keep the wastegate open more and prevent boost spikes and uneven boost.

These will work on the 5 speed cars as well, but are not absolutely necessary.

Your car MUST have a tune to use this pill. The boost drops in the higher rpms even with the pill. It is a function of the airflow the turbo can produce and what the engine can injest.

Yet when I contacted another well respected and reliable tuner he strongly recommended a 3 port boost controller.

So what's the answer here? Boost pill or an electronic 3 port boost controller, or would a manual boost controller work best?

I'm thinking the boost pill is likely the safest (most reliable) bet.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the consensus is to let the ECU control boost. A boost pill or a 3 port both use the ECU. If using a MBC the ECU cannot compensate for various factors or in case of an emergency. It is also not possible to custom tailor the boost curve throughout the rpm range with a MBC. I am using a PERRIN 3 port and love it!
Old Dec 29, 2009, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Piper747
I think the consensus is to let the ECU control boost. A boost pill or a 3 port both use the ECU. If using a MBC the ECU cannot compensate for various factors or in case of an emergency. It is also not possible to custom tailor the boost curve throughout the rpm range with a MBC. I am using a PERRIN 3 port and love it!
Have any other mods done to your RA?
Old Dec 29, 2009, 02:13 PM

i have a manual in my RA an its working fine
Old Dec 29, 2009, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chops
Have any other mods done to your RA?
The usual bolt on stuff and my own tune with GST's mivec maps.