The following users liked this post:
297146007 (Jan 16, 2023)
Old Jul 15, 2011, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Old Jul 15, 2011, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow! That is a bigger difference than I knew as well. Maybe I need to start piecing together the x swap as well lol.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by S2K2EVO
Wow! That is a bigger difference than I knew as well. Maybe I need to start piecing together the x swap as well lol.
Having owned both, it is true that the RA TD04HL looks like a tiny little snail sitting next to the larger TD05 from the Evo X.

Having obviously very closely considered an Evo X swap (yeah, I bought one), I choose the CBRD upgrade for the stock RA TD04HL. According to Chad (CBRD) with their oversized billet turbine/compressor (larger than a 19T ) the modified stock frame RAD turbo is capable of producing just slightly more power than a EVO X turbo. My notes from some of my communications indicate that the CBRD RAD turbo should produce 38 pounds minimum, where the stock EVO X turbo should produce between 36-37.

Based on my own experience (even though my CBRD RAD turbo had a little extra work done), I would say that this seems very realistic. I can say for certain that my little turbo was capable of 27 pounds of boost, and as an added bonus, the sound (more like a scream actually) at higher RPMs was just a thing of pure beauty. I miss it already .

If you choose to go with a EVOX turbo, it would be a good choice. And while choices like these are personal choices we each need to make for ourselves, if an upgrade is in the plans, I would at least suggest considering the CBRD RAD turbo/mod. It is an easier upgrade, the cost is less, the power potential is pretty similar, and if you decide to go back to stock (like I did) it is really not very complicated. Just my .02$, good luck.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by RideSober
Having owned both, it is true that the RA TD04HL looks like a tiny little snail sitting next to the larger TD05 from the Evo X.

Having obviously very closely considered an Evo X swap (yeah, I bought one), I choose the CBRD upgrade for the stock RA TD04HL. According to Chad (CBRD) with their oversized billet turbine/compressor (larger than a 19T ) the modified stock frame RAD turbo is capable of producing just slightly more power than a EVO X turbo. My notes from some of my communications indicate that the CBRD RAD turbo should produce 38 pounds minimum, where the stock EVO X turbo should produce between 36-37.

Based on my own experience (even though my CBRD RAD turbo had a little extra work done), I would say that this seems very realistic. I can say for certain that my little turbo was capable of 27 pounds of boost, and as an added bonus, the sound (more like a scream actually) at higher RPMs was just a thing of pure beauty. I miss it already .

If you choose to go with a EVOX turbo, it would be a good choice. And while choices like these are personal choices we each need to make for ourselves, if an upgrade is in the plans, I would at least suggest considering the CBRD RAD turbo/mod. It is an easier upgrade, the cost is less, the power potential is pretty similar, and if you decide to go back to stock (like I did) it is really not very complicated. Just my .02$, good luck.
Just wanted to quote the post that sold me on a RAD turbo instead of an X...

well that and the complete fear of getting an X turbo only to immediately "need" to mod more... and more... and clutches... and ... and ... and...
Old Feb 17, 2012, 02:06 PM

i think the RA mani could benefit greatly from a decent port and polish job..
Old Feb 17, 2012, 02:12 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ill try to get you guys an overlay of the RAD and a X setup!

cb
Old Feb 17, 2012, 02:26 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ok here you go

1. is CBRD rad lite, CBRD fmic, CBRD ic pipes, and CBRD 3" Intake with stock downpipe and catback, in march around 72 degrees

2. is Ralliart with EVO X turbo, EVO X fmic, AMS pipes, CBRD 3" Intake, AMS downpipe, stock catback and about 45 degrees

seeing as it was warmer when we ran the RAD lite plot, id normally say its down a few whp, BUT since the car had a better intercooler, I'll call it a draw--

please note the RA is at 1 less psi---

Name:  RADvsEVOX.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  66.1 KB

Hope this helps-

cb
Old Feb 17, 2012, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

soooo, RAD is solid lines on the plot?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am wondering, if you get the RAD, I assume you will have to get tuned. Now, my question is, say something happens to my car and need to go back to stock, you think it would be at all possible to drive on stock map. Guess main thing would be not to WOT, but would slight boost harm the car? Even though the RAD is stock looking, guess it would pretty much null any chance of warranty drivetrain related. Anyways, just wondering.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 05:24 PM

my bet is, if you plan on doing this kind of mod, and wanna keep your warranty? you should have an extra OEM unit for "dealer visits"
Old Feb 17, 2012, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CBRD
ok here you go

1. is CBRD rad lite, CBRD fmic, CBRD ic pipes, and CBRD 3" Intake with stock downpipe and catback, in march around 72 degrees

2. is Ralliart with EVO X turbo, EVO X fmic, AMS pipes, CBRD 3" Intake, AMS downpipe, stock catback and about 45 degrees

seeing as it was warmer when we ran the RAD lite plot, id normally say its down a few whp, BUT since the car had a better intercooler, I'll call it a draw--

please note the RA is at 1 less psi---

Hope this helps-

cb

LOL!! Chad is this my ralliart you put up that I just did the Evo X swap with? Sounds just like my setup. I might get in contact with you again to put a bigger turbo possibly by summer time.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

I might get in contact with you again to put a bigger turbo possibly by summer time.
The quintessential fear of those who want a RAD,
Old Jun 20, 2013, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So slightly smaller than the 14b on my old 92 Talon, I was pushing 18lbs on that one, but the fuel system being stock could not support anything higher... Does anyone know the max boost possible with the TD04 on the Ralliart?
Old Jun 20, 2013, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

I peak 26psi on mine... but the turbo is too small to hold that ... by redline its way down to the 12 to 14psi range. The fulling system in our RA's will keep up with the EvoX turbo (TD05H-152G6-12T) maxed out. To go bigger than that, you'll need injectors at the very least; stock fuel pump is good for 400'ish HP on pump gas. E85 requires injectors and fuel pump on anything larger than the stock EvoX turbo.

Quick Reply: stock ralliart turbo