Notices

Oil 5W-30 and oil filter M1-104

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2010, 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hm... that's weird cuz whenever advanceautoparts have oil sales it's always 5 quarts.. I hate that I have to get one quart at full price... Am I the only one??
Old May 26, 2010, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Skym
Besides the type of oil he bought didn't anyone notice he only bought 4.4L of oil??

Our cars need 5.5L or Quarts of oil.
Originally Posted by sepandee
Just checking to see if I bought the right products. The oil is oil 5w-30 EXTENDED PERFORMANCE and oil filter M1-104 EXTENDED PERFORMANCE. I bought 4.4L + 1L of the oil. The 4.4L jug was less than $30. Not bad
Old May 26, 2010, 06:31 AM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hm... that's weird cuz whenever advanceautoparts have oil sales it's always 5 quarts.. I hate that I have to get one quart at full price... Am I the only one??
1 qt at full price?

Yours uses more than 5qts?

Whenever I change my oil, even after letting it drip for like, an hour + filling up the filter, I still end up using about 4.75 qts, no more.
Old May 26, 2010, 08:24 AM

Besides the type of oil he bought didn't anyone notice he only bought 4.4L of oil??

Our cars need 5.5L or Quarts of oil.
he definetly said 4.4 +1L
Old May 26, 2010, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by brads09lancerGT
^ I know Chi I said it came with 5W30 not anything about synthetic. I still don't understand why it came from the factory without synthetic
i figured you knew, but im sure there are people on here who havent scanned through the old threads and may not be aware of that fact, so it was more for them than any kind of knock towards you, im sorry if it came off that way, just trying to clarify for everyone. so if you have a brand new ralliart and plan on beating it up a bit, you may want to do an oil change first...

and of course, regarding the reasoning behind the petrol based factory fill, every penny saved from the factory on any little bit they can get away with is golden to any corporation, especially if its the cost difference between standard and synthetic oil for every ralliart they produce. plus, i guess they figure you shouldnt be beating on the car during the first 1500 miles of break-in and with a synthetic oil change by a responsible customer at that point, maybe they figured all would be ok. at least i'd like to give mitsu that much credit anyways
Old May 26, 2010, 11:47 AM

So it's finally done. Price: $35 for labor and filter. Cost of oil: around $45. Both plus tax.

I asked the guy why he said they use 5W-20. He said that's what is recommended. I told him the car manual recommends 5W-30 for the ralliart with turbo, especially during summer. He said no, if I look at the engine it says 5W-20. What the heck. Of course, I didn't check. I'm happy with the -30.

Thanks guys.
Old May 26, 2010, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

May I ask which (st)ealership you went to?
Old May 26, 2010, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

I'm going to change to Eneos 0w50 ... anyone tried that?
why 0w50? cuz that's what my local garage recommend to be the "best" ..
Old May 26, 2010, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by laksman91
May I ask which (st)ealership you went to?
The one called midtown or something. On Eglinton and Dufferin.
They were very nice with me actually.
Old May 26, 2010, 01:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by initial_d2k
I'm going to change to Eneos 0w50 ... anyone tried that?
why 0w50? cuz that's what my local garage recommend to be the "best" ..
I am no wiz in oil. But the job of oil is to lubricate and minimize friction. second is to remove heat from critical areas of your engine.

Unless you are beating your Ralliart thru the gates of hell. I dont think a 0w50 oil is needed.

My opinion, of course. but I think if your going to just occationally drive a bit wild. even 0w30 oil is fine. So long as you change it at normal intervals. you will be ok.
Old May 26, 2010, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Oh my bad for missing that lol
Old May 26, 2010, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also did the 5 quarts deal at Advance Auto Parts and that was enough to fill my Ralliart during the oil change.
Old May 26, 2010, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evo_soul
I am no wiz in oil. But the job of oil is to lubricate and minimize friction. second is to remove heat from critical areas of your engine.

Unless you are beating your Ralliart thru the gates of hell. I dont think a 0w50 oil is needed.

My opinion, of course. but I think if your going to just occationally drive a bit wild. even 0w30 oil is fine. So long as you change it at normal intervals. you will be ok.
I agree. In fact, I remember a thread from a while back where a guy tried to run a heavier weight oil and then switched to a lighter weight oil and he said it made a big difference in the performance of his car, especially during cold weather.
Old May 26, 2010, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
i figured you knew, but im sure there are people on here who havent scanned through the old threads and may not be aware of that fact, so it was more for them than any kind of knock towards you, im sorry if it came off that way, just trying to clarify for everyone. so if you have a brand new ralliart and plan on beating it up a bit, you may want to do an oil change first...

and of course, regarding the reasoning behind the petrol based factory fill, every penny saved from the factory on any little bit they can get away with is golden to any corporation, especially if its the cost difference between standard and synthetic oil for every ralliart they produce. plus, i guess they figure you shouldnt be beating on the car during the first 1500 miles of break-in and with a synthetic oil change by a responsible customer at that point, maybe they figured all would be ok. at least i'd like to give mitsu that much credit anyways
No prob Chi, didn't think u were trying to make me feel like a newb
I guess if they can save a little $$ by not putting in synthetic originally and keeps the MSRP down a bit I guess it is all good. I made sure to do my break in and do a sythetic oil change before I ever drove "aggressive"
Old May 27, 2010, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul

I know I really don't "need" such grade of oil cuz I never go to track or what-so-ever. 100% street use. As far as I know, the price difference is not more than 20$ for invoice total; so I'm like, why not get a better one.

Just not too sure if there's anything negative when using 0w50 vs 0w30...

Quick Reply: Oil 5W-30 and oil filter M1-104