Notices

ralliart transmission might be faulty

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2010, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shawn, I am interested to know how much torque your running on your RA and if its the stock clutch or if you just ran out of room under your name. Sounds like a nice build. Love to see some pics!
Old Jul 19, 2010, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by SOG RA
Shawn, I am interested to know how much torque your running on your RA and if its the stock clutch or if you just ran out of room under your name. Sounds like a nice build. Love to see some pics!
Ya I have the stock clutches, I have ran out of money for now, the wife is a little pissed that I spent $15,000 on the car in the last year. (still cost less then a stock EVO) Luckly Toyo has given me my tires at cost for putting some stickers on my car I have had up to 4 sets of tires and rims at 1 time, I am down to 2 sets now R1R's for the track and T1R's for the street. I have never had it on a dyno, I am more going by what AMS says that you should have with this upgrade,and because I actually have more then what the stage 2 kit comes with (ie, intake ) that I must have around what they say which is 320hp with 350 torque( i thought it was 325 but i just looked and it said 320 oops), I know is I drive EVO's all the time at work, and my car is much faster and handles pretty much the same do to suspention upgrades. Not saying that an EVO wouldn't be faster then my car with a few upgrades, I will take some pics and put them up sometime today. Anyway I'm sure this is off topic so I will stop rambleing on about myself.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FasterNU08
Have any of you guys noticed an electronic hesitation. It hasn't happened for a few months but every now and again when shifting into reverse from a stand still the indicator on my display will just flash for a few moments and I would then feel the trans kick into gear. If you were to touch the gas it would just rev.
This is something normal. If you ever drove a manual car, you probably know that it's sometime hard to engage into reverse. This is a similar situation the SST is experiencing. When this happens just wait a few second and it will engage.

There's already a thread about this.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SHAWN325
... the wife is a little pissed that I spent $15,000 on the car in the last year. ...
This is ALSO normal.

Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

^

It's true!

My GF gets pissed if I buy anything for my car or any of my other hobbies and the GF isn't even on my payroll yet!
Old Jul 26, 2010, 02:58 PM

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Tiresomejunk
Went to the dealer today to get my 09 ralliart to get some recalls done on it. To find out I might have a faulty transmission. What mine does it hesitates with three to four quick jerks before going and it does this from a dead stop then going reverse or forward. I have to wait to see what tech says about the situation. I have 19200 on it and had it since sept 08. My brakes feel alot better and firmer though and I hear the turbo alot more on accel.
This sounds EXACTLY like what happened with mine and guess what...Tranny completely went to **** afterwards and it had to be completely replaced. It was covered on warranty fully for me.

It started somewhere around 20,000km. By 30,00 km it was slipping and sometimes it would only allow me to use 1,3,5th gears. They told me to drive on it untill it blows up, i did for a bit longer but it became waaaaaay to common of an occurrence.

The first time it started doing this it was on the highway and it just changed into 5th gear out of nowhere. then it wouldnt go back into 6th and if i downshifted it would go into 3rd. Pulling over and restarting would fix temporarily, but as soon as it hit 40,000 it started to do it every 10 mins on the highway unless i kept the exact same speed.

So i eventually *****ed to the dealership and said i cant wait i need it replaced now. They said ok. It then took them a week to get a new tranny in. It had a crack in it though so they had to order another. It took another week for the next tranny, and then a few days for them to get it ready and test it. Finnaly i just got it back a few days ago, and it feels GREAT now.

Just a head up cause this is exactly what happened with mine. and now with the new transmission it doesn't do that chuggy start in 1st at all. It is VERY smooth. More than i can ever remember it being. This leads me to believe that i had a bad tranny from the start.

I really hope they didn't send out a ton of bad transmissions.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

wanted to give an update. turned my car into the dealer and they did some test to find out that my sst is faulty. they order a replacement but when it got there the box was damaged. Where it was damaged at was were the TCU was. Mitsubishi sent out another one last week. now Im out going on two weeks without my car and this cheap car mitsubishi is paying for. A cobalt LS I mean that is a major downgrade from what I am riding. Come on!!! Really!!!! no power windows, no power locks, no cruise control, no tint, and 1 leaky tire. I shouldnt be paying anything even tax per day for this rental? I'll talk to the dealer today.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 05:13 PM

my car sometimes dies in first from a stop...like the clutch kills itself because it doesnt know how to ease into first gear or something. My car too is currently in the shop...for a full week now...getting it back next wednesday...my turbo already went out...had to order one from the mitsubishi plant in Japan lol.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 05:59 AM
Evolving Member

Another update. I get to pick up my car today. Will tell how it drives with the the new sst transmission later today.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Just got my car back and the transmission is alot smoother. No stutter hops! YAY!
Old Sep 1, 2010, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Hey guys. I was testing out my RA WOT. I was not paying attention and reved the car to high ( basically not shifting in time). The power was reduced dramatically until i shifted into next gear. Im assuming this is a security system so we dont blow the engine. Has this happened to anyone else?
Old Sep 2, 2010, 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ArtofRalli
Hey guys. I was testing out my RA WOT. I was not paying attention and reved the car to high ( basically not shifting in time). The power was reduced dramatically until i shifted into next gear. Im assuming this is a security system so we dont blow the engine. Has this happened to anyone else?
Yes, sounds to me like you hit the Rev Limiter.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ultimaralliart
It started somewhere around 20,000km. By 30,00 km it was slipping and sometimes it would only allow me to use 1,3,5th gears. They told me to drive on it untill it blows up, i did for a bit longer but it became waaaaaay to common of an occurrence.

The first time it started doing this it was on the highway and it just changed into 5th gear out of nowhere. then it wouldnt go back into 6th and if i downshifted it would go into 3rd. Pulling over and restarting would fix temporarily, but as soon as it hit 40,000 it started to do it every 10 mins on the highway unless i kept the exact same speed.

So i eventually *****ed to the dealership and said i cant wait i need it replaced now. They said ok. It then took them a week to get a new tranny in. It had a crack in it though so they had to order another. It took another week for the next tranny, and then a few days for them to get it ready and test it. Finnaly i just got it back a few days ago, and it feels GREAT now.

Just a head up cause this is exactly what happened with mine. and now with the new transmission it doesn't do that chuggy start in 1st at all. It is VERY smooth. More than i can ever remember it being. This leads me to believe that i had a bad tranny from the start.

I really hope they didn't send out a ton of bad transmissions.

Im in the exact same spot right now! My ralliart is 25,400 km old, and I was driving down the highway at approx 110km/h went to pass a car (3 lane highway) and as I accelerated I noticed it felt like clutch slipping or something. Then a loud clunk, and the car went into 5th. I tried to downshift and it went to 3rd, immediately i shifted back to 5th. I pulled over and also did not have 2nd. So I effectively had 1, 3 and 5 left. I turned the car off, and turned it on, had all of my gears again. I randomly lose gears 2, 4 and 6 while driving, and it's only been three days of this.

I guess tomorrow I go in and try to get a new transmission...
Old Sep 8, 2010, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

So I went in today, and on the way in to the dealership, 5th gear stopped working. I finally got a check engine light, and had something they could work with.

The mechanic scanned the ECU and found 4 error codes (I didn't write down), but one of them was "5th Gear Blocked". The mechanic said that the car needed a new transmission, and then called Mitsu Head Office in Toronto. They told him to clear the code and drive the car. He cleared it and took it for a drive, and shifted through all 6 gears. They told him to tell me to drive the car and bring it back in if it happened again. So I reluctantly left the dealership with only a cleared engine code, and headed down the highway. Not 15km down the highway, I lost 2, 4 and 6 again. I called them and turned around. When I was accellerating again I lost ALL of my gears. I had to turn the car off and back on, and it had all 6 again. Still no check engine light. Got to them, and left the car with them. We'll see if they do anything.

In the meantime, I'm driving a Saturn Ion loaner car
Old Sep 8, 2010, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Proteus_x15
So I went in today, and on the way in to the dealership, 5th gear stopped working. I finally got a check engine light, and had something they could work with.

The mechanic scanned the ECU and found 4 error codes (I didn't write down), but one of them was "5th Gear Blocked". The mechanic said that the car needed a new transmission, and then called Mitsu Head Office in Toronto. They told him to clear the code and drive the car. He cleared it and took it for a drive, and shifted through all 6 gears. They told him to tell me to drive the car and bring it back in if it happened again. So I reluctantly left the dealership with only a cleared engine code, and headed down the highway. Not 15km down the highway, I lost 2, 4 and 6 again. I called them and turned around. When I was accellerating again I lost ALL of my gears. I had to turn the car off and back on, and it had all 6 again. Still no check engine light. Got to them, and left the car with them. We'll see if they do anything.

In the meantime, I'm driving a Saturn Ion loaner car
That is sad that the dealer where you were at try to give you the run around. When they change your trans it will be just like new.

Quick Reply: ralliart transmission might be faulty