Notices

2009 Aussie RA - Tweaking and Tuning

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2012, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TurtleRA
Do you mean on your high octane map you change all afr to 11.5 past 100 and how does this change your MAP tables if you are = or - your target value? Learning is fun, thanks.
Honestly, when you're first wading into this area, I'd say ignore the 3 x MAP Tables, ignore the Calibration Fuel Map, and just concentrate on the High Octane Fuel Map.

Otherwise... YOUR HEAD A SPLODE.

The trick with setting the High Octane Fuel Map from 100 load on to a single fixed value is designed to remove some of the complexity and hassle from getting initial fuelling readings. Given the plan is all about keeping it simple, don't go making life more complicated poking at other tables. Just my suggestion.

If your wideband's readings are anything like mine, you'll have your hands pretty full learning this stuff and applying it. Beware of:
  1. Wideband lag - the delay between what's really going on in the cylinders and what you see in your logs.
  2. "Spool-up" readings being very different to "steady-state" readings (in the exact same cells).
You can spend a lot of time chasing your tail. I certainly did!

Rich
Old Jan 2, 2012, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very true! If your getting your feet, start with more introductory concepts. These last few posts are for spastic OCD peps who MUST MAINTAIN ABSOLUTE CONTROL, at the detriment of sanity ;p
Old Jan 2, 2012, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

You rang?

Rich
Old Jan 2, 2012, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As you know I've been working on spool-up, leaving top end for later. Check this out, playing on the dyno a couple days ago:

See how flat fuel is, basically 12 all the way across (this was reading a WB in the tail pipe, not my WB, so ~.5 leaner)? Oh FYI, thick blue/green are current, thin green/red are my original tune from the X-Swap, thin Blue is MR for comparison.

Now look at how flat my fuel map is:

Pretty sweet. Logically this means my calculations for CFM are pretty dang good
On a side note, I was having a hard time getting the hang of timing the start of WOT on the dyno, so initial spool was bouncing around. BUT, you might notice that I now have 20 more ft/lbs....at 3 psi LESS (I think I may have mentioned this before )

EDIT: Any one who stumbles across this, DO NOT USE THESE TABLES!!! I have a completely different set-up, and trying to use this on a different turbo WILL f ur ish up

Last edited by sstevojr; Jan 2, 2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Tidying up a few things on the boost control side now. Adding in some protection against anyone going WOT in a tall gear at low rpm.

I've split my boost tables into high vs. low using the Xover Gear Based setting. Top three gears are "high", bottom three are "low"...

For RPM/MPH, that's a value of 82.

For RPM/kph, that's a value of 51.

Here is my current effort... for 4th-6th, I now have BWGDC and targets reduced below 4000rpm...

I've tested this out by going WOT in 4th at 2000rpm, and now only touch 16-odd psi at 3000rpm. Before these changes, it would happily get to 22psi by then.

That's got to be good for (a) silly low-rpm throttle in 5th/6th, and (b) grinding up a hill in 4th with a car full of fat circus clowns. As you do.

Rich

Edit: Thanks to Bryan and Golden for answering all my pestery questions about this tall-gear stuff (and about everything else).
Attached Thumbnails 2009 Aussie RA - Tweaking and Tuning-2012.01.06_boost_4th.png  

Last edited by richardjh; Jan 5, 2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 12:42 AM
Evolved Member

After getting a couple of PMs about the Evoscan/mode23 learning curve, I thought I'd drop in a few images here that I could point to.

So here goes.

First off, the most flexible ECU logging system we have is "mode23" style. This allows Evoscan and other loggers to request data at any RAM address.

If you've picked up one of razorlab's base maps, they come with mode23 enabled. But if you've got a stock ROM, or something different, you'll need to enable mode23 yourself.

Assuming you have a sensible xml definition, you should have three simple items available that allow you to enable mode23...

The stuff like "0x05 -> 0x23" shows what you need to change FROM (eg. 0x05) and TO (eg. 0x23) in order to enable mode23 logging mode.

Note: To enter these values, type in the full "0x23" style input... not just "23".

For this particular ROM example, it needs to look like this if you want mode23 logging to work...

To Evoscan!

Here's the kind of setup you should be using:

For the "Select ECU" choice, you can play with different ones and see which works best for you.

Note: I found that Evoscan's logging would sometimes get confused if I swapped between the different Mode23 options. So if you're having trouble like getting total garbage results, RESTART EVOSCAN after changing this selection.

If you've selected something that kinda sorta works, great. Chances are, though, no matter how good or bad it is, you'll still need to modify some logging "addresses" to get stuff to work.

Right-click on at item, and select Edit Data Items...

You will then get a pile of options you can select and edit...

Be warned, the user interface is a little wacky. You'll probably find yourself with odd extra things called "New Item" you've accidentally created... but you'll get the hang of it.

The "RequestID" field is where you type in the RAM address of the thing you want logged. Prefix the raw hexadecimal value with a "23", so...

Say someone tells you RPM for your car is at address 0x808246, enter a RequesID of 23808246.

The "ResponseBytes" is the number of bytes to grab as the value. It'll be 1 or 2. If you use the wrong number of bytes, you get a rubbish result.

And that's about it.

If you've got mode23 enabled, Evoscan requesting mode23 logging, and sensible addresses that match your particular ROM, you'll get usable data.

Hope that helps!

Rich
Attached Thumbnails 2009 Aussie RA - Tweaking and Tuning-2012.02.10_mode23.png   2009 Aussie RA - Tweaking and Tuning-2012.02.10_evoscan1.jpg   2009 Aussie RA - Tweaking and Tuning-2012.02.10_evoscan2.jpg   2009 Aussie RA - Tweaking and Tuning-2012.02.10_stock.png   2009 Aussie RA - Tweaking and Tuning-2012.02.10_evoscan_3.jpg  

Last edited by richardjh; Feb 10, 2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

Just for interest's sake, here are a few WOT test logs of my current tune. Attached.

I want this tune to work well on the track. It's pretty conservative - boost around 21.5 psi and AFR around 11.0:1.

I'm trying hard to keep timing and fuel as smooth as possible.

Don't go using these... I've got some extra ROM tweaks that make fine-tuning changes to fuel and spark during quick spool-up... specifically, when MIVEC ExVVT is trailing its target. That stuff really sets the cat amongst the pigeons - mixture readings go leaner, and the engine gets more knock-prone. So the main maps don't really tell the whole story.

Enjoy...

Rich
Attached Thumbnails 2009 Aussie RA - Tweaking and Tuning-2012.04.30_tables.png  
Attached Files
File Type: zip
richardjh_WOT_tests.zip (10.1 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by richardjh; Jul 23, 2012 at 11:28 PM.