Notices

New Intercooler Arrived Today

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2011, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Intercooler Arrived Today

I labored with this decision for a while, but finally narrowed my FMIC purchase options down to a choice between the new CBRD FMIC, and the ETS 3" FMIC that uses their new style core.

Well my new ETS FMIC arrived today, and I thought I would share a few pictures. Build quiality looks good, welds are very nice, it was packed very well and provided with 4 ply silicone couplers and nice set of 4 stainless t-bolts.

Got this nice little basic FMIC package delivered for $499, which seems to be a pretty good value to me!

I'm looking forward to trying to get it installed next week along with a set of UR UICPs.

Old Feb 24, 2011, 02:27 PM

It's awesome and a great deal you got.
You should get the UR LICP too.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Will this fit an 09+ Ralliart WITHOUT having to modify it in any way? According to the ETS website, they only have a FMIC for the Evo, not a Ralliart specific model. The price is right, but not if it's going to take significant labor time to make it work....
Old Feb 24, 2011, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same IC. It should fit fine. I'm not 100% sure because I didn't do the install.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

thats hell of a deal!!!!
Old Feb 24, 2011, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Slee256
Will this fit an 09+ Ralliart WITHOUT having to modify it in any way? According to the ETS website, they only have a FMIC for the Evo, not a Ralliart specific model. The price is right, but not if it's going to take significant labor time to make it work....
Well I certainly do expect it will fit perfectly without any mods, and I know it has been used by others who claimed it fit perfectly.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...tercooler.html

As with any mods, I will know better for myslef once we get into the swap!
Old Feb 25, 2011, 01:17 AM

Im considering between the ETS 3" or the CBRD intercooler myself. Is there any real cons on going 3" core instead of larger if my goal is no more than 320whp?
Old Feb 25, 2011, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

this is will be THE IC to get (for me)
either this or a Evo X one.. I wonder what is the size/surface area difference between this one and the Evo OEM one..
Old Feb 25, 2011, 06:45 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by initial_d2k
this is will be THE IC to get (for me)
either this or a Evo X one.. I wonder what is the size/surface area difference between this one and the Evo OEM one..
any of the quality aftermarket fmic's will be more than capable over the stock evo X...

the stock evo X has a hard time keeping evo X turbo temps under control!

cb
Old Feb 25, 2011, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by slidez
Im considering between the ETS 3" or the CBRD intercooler myself. Is there any real cons on going 3" core instead of larger if my goal is no more than 320whp?
While I am certainly not even close to an expert on these questions, the various manufacturers seem to represent their different FMICs as being designed to support specific HP targets. According to the ETS website, the ETS 3" core is designed to handle up to 700HP, so I think you would probably be OK using the 3" core with your HP target.

Taken from the ETS website:
Features:
Pressure checked at 35psi.
Bolt on design to retain crash beam.
Fills entire grill with core.
Full mandrel bent 2.5" piping.
Stainless steel t-bolt clamps.
4-ply couplers.
Includes all mounting hardware.
Fits GSR and MR
Availabe in Silver, Black, Blue, Gold, and Red
20x12x3.0 Bar & Plate Core - 700hp Direct Replacement
20x12x3.5 Bar & Plate Core - 750hp Direct Replacement
20x12x4.0 Bar & Plate Core - 820hp Direct Replacement
The obvious tie-in between the UICP and LICP is the ETS EVO X Intercooler. Making certain to hold this unit to the standard of our EVO VIII/IX intercoolers, this unit is a tour de force in efficiency, distribution and flow. The factory inlet and out locations allow for the inlet and outlet to be at diagonally opposing corners of the core. This provides the best possible airflow distribution through the core's height making sure that all charge rows are used effectively. The AutoCAD drawn endtanks are as smooth as on our previous EVO intercooler with aluminum metal forming that looks more like artwork than endtank. Between the tanks is any one of our sizing options with 3", 3.5" or 4" intercoolers as BOLT-ON designs behind the factory crash beam and above the factory undertray. The intercooler is available separately or in a complete kit with UICP and LICP included and black anodizing, ETS stenciled logo, polishing and other options are all available!

Last edited by RideSober; Feb 25, 2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Slee256
Well now I can tell you for certain, it fits perfectly!

There is no rubbing, and the install was not that bad, it took about 2-1/2 hours.

The upper plastic radiator protector as well as the lower plastic engine protector/tray were removed revealing the stock FMIC. Once that was lowered abd removed along with the original pipes, it was just a matter of reusing the stock FMIC bushings, and installing the ETS FMIC in the exact same spot, using the exact same mounting bolts, and the exact same hangers. The front end/grill etc. did not even need to be removed.

One must note that just like the EVO X FMIC has an upper 2-1/2" opening, so does the ETS FMIC and the stock upper RA pipe needs to either be swapped out for something like the 2-1/2" UR UICP like I did (or equivilent), or just use a 2"-2-1/2" adapter if using the stock hose/pipe. IMHO it is probably pretty unlikely that anyone swapping out the FMIC will even want to use the cheap OEM RA UICP hose/adapter anyway as that would be an obvious bottle neck for charged air flow, so literally any 2-1/2" pipe will work much better.

Now in terms of the "seat of the pants" test, to me acceleration/low end torque seems about the same, but the car does feel a little stronger up in the RPM band. I was in sport mode coming home on the freeway and hit the accelerator, well I won't post the speed I hit in about 3 seconds or so but it might have been a little over the posted speed limit . Where before the motor began to feel like it was a little starved at higher RPMs, now it does seem to feel a little stronger.

Placebo effect you say???

I really don't think so as I always try to be objective, but hey who knows, it was certainly a little more fun to drive, so I guess either way it is all good.

Old Feb 27, 2011, 06:23 PM

Hey if you are looking for the OEM Evo X LICP and/or UR UICP please check out my ebay classified Cincinnati Ohio 08+ lancer and Evo X parts. I have both up for grab for cheap. Hopefully can help somebody out.. Thanks
Old Feb 28, 2011, 01:41 PM

Nice looking Intercooler
Old Apr 24, 2011, 01:38 AM

I recently install ETS 3" and was wondering on your fitment. The stock LICP was just about touching the endtank pipe on mine so it was a pain to get the silicone tube on. Also I had to use some muscle to line up the bottom bolts. My UICP doesn't seem to fit perfectly either like as if the length was a pinch too long. You didnt have any of these issues?
Old Apr 24, 2011, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by slidez
I recently install ETS 3" and was wondering on your fitment. The stock LICP was just about touching the endtank pipe on mine so it was a pain to get the silicone tube on. Also I had to use some muscle to line up the bottom bolts. My UICP doesn't seem to fit perfectly either like as if the length was a pinch too long. You didnt have any of these issues?
I don't know what UICP you have, but you can see the pictures of the UR UICP in my post, it is a 2 piece design that can be sized/adjusted to fit perfectly. I had it off yesterday to upgrade the clamps to t-bolts, and I can not imagine how any 2.5" UICP could possibly fit any better.

The fitment of the FMIC is really just about perfect, unlike some other larger/wider aftermarket FMICs it does not conflict with anything. I really can't imagine what might have caused your install to require "muscle", sorry to hear that. Personally I never like forcing anything into place.

Quick Reply: New Intercooler Arrived Today