Notices

Tactrix OpenPort Standalone Logging... 0-5V ADC on OP2.0 Pin 8

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2011, 09:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Tactrix OpenPort Standalone Logging... 0-5V ADC on OP2.0 Pin 8

Hi guys.

I discovered something pretty cool about the OP2.0 on the OpenECU and RomRaider forums. The OP2.0 can be configured to perform "standalone" logging of a 0-5V input from Pin 8 (an unused pin, apparently). The standalone logging stuff has config options for straight ADC processing of Pin 8 voltage.

This is of some value to Ralliart owners, who don't (yet) have ROMs full of "extras" such as rear o2 simulator patches - used by the Evo crowd to run analog voltage through ECU ADC circuitry for logging purposes. On the RA ROMs, it's not a well travelled path.

But with this trick, it looks like we don't need to bother with ECU-side wiring or patching!

The only hardware work involved is splicing the relevant signal wire into the OBD-II extension cable, so the OP2.0 can see it. After that, it's all configuration tweaks on the Tactrix box, and maybe whatever is supplying the 5V signal.

The sampled data ends up in the .csv log files on the microSD card, with the usual heading, scaling, etc.

More blurb over here...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post9106692

That post cross-references to the OpenECU/RomRaider forum contributions from dschultz. I just stumbled across this while searching for better wideband logging options. Score!

Hope this is useful to people. It certainly looks like being very useful to me for standalone LC-1 AFR logging!

Rich

PS. I haven't yet tried a ROM read/write down my "modified" OBD-II cable, but I have complete faith in my slicing/dicing/soldering skills, hehe. I'm sure it'll be fine...
Old Mar 26, 2011, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone attempted this yet?

I took a loot at the OBD-II port on my 2010 Sportback today hoping to make quick work of inserting a socket into port 8 or 16 only to discover both were in use. I believe 16 is +12v and pin 8 is fed by the ecu but when i went back to double check the wiring diagram I could not find a reference to ping 8 again on the c-34 (OBD-II) connector.... wire in pin 8 position is green with gold, pin 16 is red with gold.....
Old Mar 26, 2011, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Ok, well I just got this working.

Since I did not want have an OBD-II extension cable routed around inside the car I decided to snip the wire running to socket #8 on the OBD-II connector. I spliced on a female barrel connector to the OBDII port side of the wire and a male barrel connector on the cut end of the factory wire. I also put a male barrel end on the analogue wide-band output from my PLX wideband. This way I can run the Wide-band to pin 8 of the OBD connector 99.9% of the time and swap it back to stock wire config when I i need to go to the dealer or do anything with the etacs ecu (I think pin 8 is etacs related output from ecu).

I setup the stadalone logger with the following formula:
scalingrpn=x,0.002,*,10,+

For my plx the output is 10.0:1 at 0v and 20.0:1 at 5.0v so the slope of the line is 2...

y=mx+b where m=2 and b=10

Working like a charm so far!
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mad_SB
Ok, well I just got this working.

Since I did not want have an OBD-II extension cable routed around inside the car I decided to snip the wire running to socket #8 on the OBD-II connector. I spliced on a female barrel connector to the OBDII port side of the wire and a male barrel connector on the cut end of the factory wire. I also put a male barrel end on the analogue wide-band output from my PLX wideband. This way I can run the Wide-band to pin 8 of the OBD connector 99.9% of the time and swap it back to stock wire config when I i need to go to the dealer or do anything with the etacs ecu (I think pin 8 is etacs related output from ecu).

I setup the stadalone logger with the following formula:
scalingrpn=x,0.002,*,10,+

For my plx the output is 10.0:1 at 0v and 20.0:1 at 5.0v so the slope of the line is 2...

y=mx+b where m=2 and b=10

Working like a charm so far!
Cool - nice way to patch it in.

On my hardware, I had to adjust for a fixed 0.05V variance between the voltage being output by the LC-1 and the voltage being read by the OP2.0. With a desired 10:1 - 15:1 range, my formula ended up being:

scalingrpn=x,0.001,*,10.05,+

Also, my voltage readings weren't 100% rock-steady. Readings varied by up to +-0.05V. I verified that by doing the old trick of reprogramming the LC-1 to output various fixed voltages, irrespective of AFR, and comparing the logged value to the known output voltage. It skipped around a bit. Not sure if it's the LC-1 or the OP2.0 responsible. Still, plus or minus 0.05V variance isn't a problem when the AFR range is from 10:1 to 15:1.

Rich
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by richardjh
Cool - nice way to patch it in.

On my hardware, I had to adjust for a fixed 0.05V variance between the voltage being output by the LC-1 and the voltage being read by the OP2.0. With a desired 10:1 - 15:1 range, my formula ended up being:

scalingrpn=x,0.001,*,10.05,+

Also, my voltage readings weren't 100% rock-steady. Readings varied by up to +-0.05V. I verified that by doing the old trick of reprogramming the LC-1 to output various fixed voltages, irrespective of AFR, and comparing the logged value to the known output voltage. It skipped around a bit. Not sure if it's the LC-1 or the OP2.0 responsible. Still, plus or minus 0.05V variance isn't a problem when the AFR range is from 10:1 to 15:1.

Rich
Thank you for the info Richardjh.......

Sadly my plx does not offer any way to program the outputs at all.... I thought I was being clever going with plx sensors and the DM-100 multi display... turns out the display is crap, mine has stopped working about 6 times in 2 days..... Makes me wish I had stuck with innovate this time around like my previous cars.....

The plx is supposed to output 2.5v steady with the sensor disconnected.... I guess I can use that method to log the variation and see how stable the analogue output is and if I need to offset the equation a bit..........
Old Jul 19, 2012, 01:43 PM

theres any way to make evoscan read this?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Apparently not. Not yet, anyway.

Rich
Old Jul 21, 2012, 10:33 AM

So bad
Old Dec 3, 2012, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I opened a tactrix support ticket regarding logging my Zeitronix Wideband and they responded that I can log voltage on the 2.5mm jack just like pin 8.

I'd rather avoid hacking into my car and instead prefer to plug the wideband into the 2.5mm jack for standalone logging.

Does anyone know what logcfg.txt configuration is required to log voltage on the 2.5mm jack? Supposedly it's possibly but I can only find the Innovate logging commands for that jack and not raw voltage.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Did you specifically mention StandAlone logging with the Tactrix and did they reply in a manner that suggested they understood that you would not be using EvoScan for your logging?

I don't know that there is a known address for the stereo plug, though I could be wrong. Usually, when using that, you use the option in the menu bar in EvoScan to select your WB and configure accordingly.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
Did you specifically mention StandAlone logging with the Tactrix and did they reply in a manner that suggested they understood that you would not be using EvoScan for your logging?

I don't know that there is a known address for the stereo plug, though I could be wrong. Usually, when using that, you use the option in the menu bar in EvoScan to select your WB and configure accordingly.
Wow, I got a nice reply that I believe indicates it is possible to log voltage on the 2.5mm jack. The only caveat being that it outputs 18V on the same jack during mitsuflashing which would damage the wideband.

So it will work but you cannot flash with the 2.5mm jack plugged in or your wideband will be toast.

However I have better news! I'm getting the specifications from Zeitronix on how to log the Serial RS232 output via the 2.5mm jack just like the Innovate users are doing. This is preferable to logging 0-5 volts since a noisy ground on RS232 will *not* effect readings whatsoever. Plus it's faster I believe.

I already contacted Zeitronix and they were really cool and friendly after I described what I'm looking for. They are going to mail me the specs on how to log the RS232 output for the ZT2 and ZT3 widebands.

Once I get these specs, I'm going to send them to Colby. He expressed interest in working with me to support the 2.5mm logging for the Zeitronix ZT-2 and ZT-3's since a ton of people have them. I volunteered to test as well once he gets something going.

So I have the logcfg.txt for logging ADC on the 2.5mm jack. The tip is volts and the sleeve is ground.

Yes, you may log analog from the 2.5mm jack. The analog voltage goes on the tip and ground goes to the sleeve. The caveat with using this pin is that you never want to attempt any Mitsubishi flashing with your device plugged in. The OP2 puts out 18V on this pin when reflashing pre-CAN Mitsubishis and could damage the device you have connected. in your logcfg.txt you need.....
Code:

;----------------adc---------------- 
type=adc    ; log from built in ADC channels
paramname=jackvolts 
paramid=12      ;paramid is pin number on OBD connector 
; valid pins are 8,12 and 16 
; values are pre-scaled to millivolts
So apparently that's it guys. I was surprised to see pin 12 there but I guess that's the 2.5mm jack ID. I haven't tested this yet but the info came straight from Colby so do what you will.

Last edited by acidtonic; Dec 4, 2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Just a note...

"...when reflashing pre-CAN Mitsubishis..."

EvoX/Ralliarts are CAN-bus.

Rich
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by richardjh
Just a note...

"...when reflashing pre-CAN Mitsubishis..."

EvoX/Ralliarts are CAN-bus.

Rich
Yeah we know that silly

I'm just not sure the OP2.0 cares what it's flashing. I think Colby was hinting that it simply supplies 18V when flashing to the 2.5mm jack. I'd assume the OP2.0 just enters a "flash mode" where 18V is supplied and it lets EcuFlash drive.

Evo 8/9 guys will have something plugged into the jack at that time. We will not. But I'm not sure the OP2.0 will turn off 18V, so it's best to leave it disconnected while flashing.... unless someone wants to use a voltmeter to check.

Last edited by acidtonic; Dec 4, 2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 04:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Pin 12 huh... I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up until now if it has always been that simple. Good luck and keep us updated
Old Dec 7, 2012, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Great news, thanks for posting the info

Quick Reply: Tactrix OpenPort Standalone Logging... 0-5V ADC on OP2.0 Pin 8