Notices

Upgraded RA Turbo by FP

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2011, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upgraded RA Turbo by FP

This was brought up in another thread and to keep it on topic I moved this here. FP is able to upgrade a stock RA turbo to a 65mm HTA wheel with a 43 lb/min flow rate.

Here is the e-mail thread of my conversation with Robert at FP for reference.

My Original e-mail:
Just curious if you have any plans to make a hybrid turbo out of the Mitsubishi Ralliart turbo (TD04HL-15T-7)? CBRD has done so and dubbed it the RAD Lite, however I wanted to see if you plan on, or if I provided my stock turbo, will create something similar?
Roberts Response:
Ryan, we can do such a thing of course. If fact we have done it on a number of occasions, but the results do not equal the power from the stock non ralliart turbo system and in my observations isnt really very useful for that reason. I am unaware of any constraint anywhere that requires the ralliart owner to retain the tiny TD04 turbo in order to participate in racing, so abandoning the TD04HL is about the smartest decision you could make. Ok, so now that full disclosure has occurred I would be happy to make a tiny ralliart turbo a tiny bit bigger
My Response:
Robert,

Thank you for the quick reply. While I am aware that the TD04 is a tiny turbo and I could move up to a TD05/Evo X Stock housing based turbo, it would require the o2 housing, manifold, and quite a few other parts from an X. My other issue is intakes. The information I have found has indicated a Evo-X intake (aftermarket or stock) is needed to go that direction, and with that comes battery relocation or a small battery. I also kind of like the idea of doing something different. To be honest I have a relatively modest goal of 300 – 320 WHP… which seems doable upgrading the TD04… correct me if I am wrong.

I also know quite a few others on EvolutionM.net are looking to avoid going the X swap route and just want something bolt-on, tune, and go. While CBRD offers such a thing, they don’t list a price, and getting ahold of them is difficult. .... If FP were to offer a similar upgrade without the hassle, I believe the outcome would be beneficial to both FP and the community of Ralliart owners.

So what would be next steps to getting something like this started, and what do you think the overall costs would be? I have a spare TD04 I can ship to you to do some research on.

Thank You,
Ryan
Roberts Response:
Ok, there isnt any research that needs to be done, the programs are already written for the wheels and the cover recontour. Sned it over and we'll do one up for you. If the core is good we will go a billet HTA upgrade for $795. It is a 65mm HTA wheel with a 43 lb/min flow rate that. This is the same wheel we use in the twin 997 aplication which normally operates around 700whp in the P-cars. Robert
My Reply
Robert,

Sounds good to me. Will there be any work done to the actuator? I know this thing runs out of breath on the top end and from what I’ve read that should address that issue… again, I’m just going off what I’ve read, you’re the expert, not me.

Where can I send the turbo? Should I send it, let you take a look to make sure we’re good to go, then make payment, or do you require payment up-front?

Thanks,
Ryan
Robert's Reply
of course it runs out of breath on the top end, its a itsy bitsy turbo with a itsy bitsy turbine housing and a itsy bitsy turbine housing on a motor that deserves so much more. No payment until the work is done use the turbocharger check in sheet from the turbocharger rebuild section of the website. I dont have any updated actuators for that turbo, honestly it wouldnt do a whole lot besides make it easier to destroy the turbo with overspeed since it is so small.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

WHOAAAA!!!

Bitzch slapped the TD04! LOL
Old Oct 28, 2011, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TheNEWB
WHOAAAA!!!

Bitzch slapped the TD04! LOL
He is right. I mean, everything on the RA is small. That's why we can own them and not be considered "compensating" like vette owners. lol
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

Wait, so is the stock RA turbo "itsy bitsy"?
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:45 PM

So what would they call this turbo FP pink? Lol I'm going to call them on this I'm really interested since I dont want to go to big on the sst anyways.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by TOralliart
Wait, so is the stock RA turbo "itsy bitsy"?

Yep...

You know those tiny little paper dixie cups that they use to dish out shots of gatorade to runners? You can barely fit one inside the intake of the compressor housing...

As for the exhaust side... I lid off of the 3-serving monster cans with the semi-screw top fits right over the exhaust port and wheel.

I would define it as a "cute" turbo more than "itsy bitsy"
Old Oct 28, 2011, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, its an adorable little turbo. Look, we've all met those short tiny little girls that turn out to be dynamite... the RA turbo is similar, tiny and little on the outside, but packs a very unexpected punch. lol
Old Oct 28, 2011, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Under_Pressure
So what would they call this turbo FP pink? Lol I'm going to call them on this I'm really interested since I dont want to go to big on the sst anyways.
I lol'd at work @ FP Pink... I think that's what they should call it.

Little but strong. Like an ant.

Last edited by SudzRA; Oct 28, 2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

43lb flow rate - not bad as the rad turbs is 38, too late for me but would be good to see the results that this upgraded turbo goes
Old Oct 28, 2011, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

as you can see Ra turbocharger is itsy bitsy tiny
Old Oct 28, 2011, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ive been running an upgraded ralliart turbo from fp for about 2 years now . I bought a core from a member and sent it in. Upgraded from a 15t wheel to a 19t wheel. My 2 cents on this is I wish I would have done the evo x turbo swap from the begining. As stated above the turbo is just too small for my liking.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by silthos
Ive been running an upgraded ralliart turbo from fp for about 2 years now . I bought a core from a member and sent it in. Upgraded from a 15t wheel to a 19t wheel. My 2 cents on this is I wish I would have done the evo x turbo swap from the begining. As stated above the turbo is just too small for my liking.
Dyno numbers??
Old Oct 28, 2011, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I will look to see if I can find my dyno sheet on my new computer.
Found It.

Last edited by silthos; Oct 28, 2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 02:38 PM

That 19t wheel is not the one there talking about from Fp right? He said a HTA wheel not 19t.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Wow, that dyno graph is crazy looking. Not bad though. Do you have a baseline? Not sure what stock is at on that type of dyno.

Quick Reply: Upgraded RA Turbo by FP