Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Slee256
What does "VE" stand for?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volumetric_efficiency

Old Sep 18, 2016, 11:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
The base maps work well for what they are intended. Once you add more airflow (like a upgrade turbo) there is a good amount of SST and torque related tables you will need to tune. If you didn't touch any of the SST related tables with this car, then there is your answer to the problem.

The lower bound fuel and timing is used on shifts on the SST equipped Mitsubishis.

So if you are running rich on shifts, then you need to tune the lower bound fuel table.
It did it even with the stock turbo on the car. My GT-R is a DCT also and i don't have to touch torque tables in that for auto mode to shift properly.

Why would the car not shift? That makes no sense. It just doesn't shift in auto mode in 1st gear. it just goes to the limiter.

If you know the problem let me know. He has to manual shift the car at the track.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 11:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Also I've tuned bigger turbo Evo X MR and never had to touch SST tables for it to shift itself in auto mode. Not understanding the issue here.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 07:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by tscompusa
It did it even with the stock turbo on the car. My GT-R is a DCT also and i don't have to touch torque tables in that for auto mode to shift properly.

Why would the car not shift? That makes no sense. It just doesn't shift in auto mode in 1st gear. it just goes to the limiter.

If you know the problem let me know. He has to manual shift the car at the track.
I've already told you. You are the tuner here, the customer is paying you, not me.

You also have the option of not using somebody elses basemap to start with.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 05:45 PM
Former Sponsor

I've already told you. You are the tuner here, the customer is paying you, not me.

You also have the option of not using somebody elses basemap to start with.
I'll play around more with it and if I cant figure it out, I'll gladly pay you for your services to help troubleshoot the issue.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really appreciate all your help brian, and also the basemaps, made my/our life alot easier to start this whole process.
So I have a brand new SST Transmission in this car, just hit about 5k miles on it. I'm gonna be swapping out the fluid and filter b/c i feel like its break in fluid and has been getting some abuse for this 5k. I'm wondering did you run into a fluid that stays cooler and holds up a little better in these transmissions? I'm also thinking about the metal magnetic reusable filter, I'm thinking this will keep it as clean as possible and make it simple enough for me to throw it on the lift pop it out clean it up and pop it back in. Also wondering if the upgraded transmission cooler will help out? Or if the fabricated fan on the back of the factory cooler works good enough.
I see alot of companies talking that more fluid in there is making things operate better, I'm seeing a deep trany pan, the upgraded cooler takes a extra quart as well. Is this true? in the stuff you have seen is it worth the money and having a extra 2.5 quarts of transmission fluid in it?
My plan was to upgrade transmission cooler with the fan, Hopefully find a better fluid than factory if not factory seems to be doing its job. and this magnetic filter which i can basically clean up every oil change, and have you found a realistic torque limit on factory clutches?
Sorry for all the questions, when i get the chance to ask a guy that has had his hands on these cars since they have been out. I would like to get all the info i can out of you.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 07:40 AM
EvoM Guru

I highly recommend using OEM SST fluid for the trans and nothing else. Also stay away from anything SSP.

You don't really need a ton of cooling or additional oil capacity unless you plan on tracking the car.

Have you done the S-Sport reflash yet? The higher clutch pressures S-Sport provides will help your car and longevity of the clutches.

Here is an example of the difference in clutch pressures between Sport and S-Sport:

Last edited by razorlab; Sep 21, 2016 at 07:47 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 08:00 PM
Former Sponsor

We haven't flashed the trans yet Bryan.

I will get with him over the weekend most likely and get that done.

Appreciate your help!
Old Sep 25, 2016, 06:52 AM

Bryan, we flashed it last night, wow it shifts hard and unforgiving but it does exactly as intended, the transmission all started shifting properly as well. thanks a lot for your help. i'm gonna put some new plugs in it and keep trying to clean everything up on it. but i'm gonna see if it will do 11.5 friday.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 09:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Glad that helped, the RA's really need S-Sport with larger turbos.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 09:30 AM

Glad that helped, the RA's really need S-Sport with larger turbos.
Next thing will be cam and FP Black. So I i'm debating on a 5spd manual swap. don't know i really like the advantage of the transmission but don't have the know how to work on it. I don't know yet, maybe i will just get another one and take it apart and try to build it. I like it. I just need to understand it 100% so when i break something i can understand. I can't live not knowing i will never sleep when something happens.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 09:32 AM

Then again the car is pretty well known around here now.. maybe a for sale sign is in order. and switch it up to a gsr.. hmm
Old Sep 25, 2016, 09:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Yea I would sell it for a GSR before you think about doing a trans swap.

The good news is everything engine and fueling related swaps over.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I highly recommend using OEM SST fluid for the trans and nothing else. Also stay away from anything SSP.

You don't really need a ton of cooling or additional oil capacity unless you plan on tracking the car.

Have you done the S-Sport reflash yet? The higher clutch pressures S-Sport provides will help your car and longevity of the clutches.

Here is an example of the difference in clutch pressures between Sport and S-Sport:

I am just going to quote this post because this is serious information that should be reviewed and reviewed again, along with the rest of the information that razorlab posted in this thread. This is HUGE! I have discussed tuning the SST countless times with a few people because it is one of the most critical pieces to modding Ralliarts.

Also, the original intent of this thread is great also. I have been looking for a discussion about this type of Exo X turbo swap and comparison for my own build.

Keep us posted on the progress. I agree with razorlab that there is more potential with this build.

What was the elevation/DA for these track runs?
Old Oct 19, 2016, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by drivejumpfly
I am just going to quote this post because this is serious information that should be reviewed and reviewed again, along with the rest of the information that razorlab posted in this thread. This is HUGE! I have discussed tuning the SST countless times with a few people because it is one of the most critical pieces to modding Ralliarts.

Also, the original intent of this thread is great also. I have been looking for a discussion about this type of Exo X turbo swap and comparison for my own build.

Keep us posted on the progress. I agree with razorlab that there is more potential with this build.

What was the elevation/DA for these track runs?
Track is 320ft above. It ran a 12.0 @118 still hit the rev limit going into second gear, We will have 1 more shot this sunday at maple grove, which is from my experience a faster track, i'm always running atleast 2/10s faster here. I also went to a local dynojet to confirm virtual dyno's numbers, it was pretty much spot on. i think it was off by 8 peak hp and it was 15 degrees hotter that day. So i installed lighter wheels, and also a new wastegate to try to control boost a little better, So heres for shooting for a 11.7 run on sunday. I also beleive this will hit my "goal" in hp numbers. We got 388whp out of it. But after the new wastegate hopefully it will allow me to hold a little more boost consitantly it should break the 400whp mark. So everything is great with it, its daily driven, its quick. i'm assuming the transmission makes up for a good bit of hp, we picked up my friends c5 supercharged vett from the shop. same dyno i only put down 380whp and he put down 410 30 mins before that. just in a simple 3rd gear pull i had him by 2 car lengths. also same results with a bmw with over 400whp.

Quick Reply: 2011 Ralliart Comparison with stock turbo & after Evo X turbo upgrade 93oct