Notices

2012 RA tranny dying?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2017, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 RA tranny dying?

Hey guys hoping for your input on my tranny issues. It's been a pretty miserable month with my 2012 ralliart, first my factory amp died so I've got no sound and now my tranny is acting up.

3 weeks ago I was on my way home, came off the highway and was stopped at a red light. I went to turn left and the car started to accelerate, once the rpm's hit 2000 they started climbing quickly as if it slipped into neutral and the car wouldn't accelerate. When I let off the gas and the rpm's dropped there was a loud bang / jerking that felt like I hit a wall. After nearly being t-boned because of this I was able to limp the car to the side of the road.

No errors or warnings appeared on the dash and everything seemed fine otherwise. Had it towed to mitsu where they found no errors and couldn't recreate the problem so they told me to monitor it or pay 18k for a new tranny as if it's just spare change in my pocket lol.

Car was fine up until 2 days ago when the same thing happened. If I shut the car off for half hour it seems to go back to shifting just fine. The only thing I noticed in both instances was the temp outside was 27-30*C and there was a burning smell when accelerating on to the highway.

My last tranny service was last year 18,000km ago. Unfortunately the car isn't paid off so I'm pretty certain I have a 4 ton paper weight in my driveway. Any suggestions from you guys would be greatly appreciated, unfortunately I lost my job so I can't even consider a jacks or kosmic rebuild at the moment.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Salvage yard units should be getting easier to find these days...

Include EVO X MR in your search (same tranny - only beefier clutches ).

Remove and replace is 'easy' for just about any shop - so I would use that strategy and forget the dealership...
The following users liked this post:
gingivitis (Jun 17, 2017)
Old Jun 16, 2017, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
The clutches are the same between the MR and RA. It's only the gear ratios that are different between the two trans
The following users liked this post:
gingivitis (Jun 17, 2017)
Old Jun 17, 2017, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok thanks for the tip I'll head over to the salvage yard today. Thanks again.