Notices

Oil leak "above" the gearbox/tranny?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2017, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil leak "above" the gearbox/tranny?

Had the car in for some service, with some service-minded people. They, of course robbed me blind, but that was expected, they still need to eat, and such.
They did bring fourth an issue i wasn't aware of. I apparently have an oil leak.
It seams to come down the left side of the gearbox/tranny, and they said it was coming from the connections to the oil radiator. If that is conjecture, speculation, or knowledge, i have no idea. But, it does make one sort of worried, since there is no time, nor budget to pull the whole thing, figure out where it really comes from, and fix it the proper way, right now. And, i of course need the car as my daily driver.

So, first of i want something of an opinion of what likely is borked, and leaking, and how critical it is. As a second measure i'd like to know if there is some way of telling how much fluid is in the darn thing, so one can figure out if, and if, how much one should fill it up with.

It does look like it's been leaking for a while. It's a bit messy, truth be told. But there also isn't any hanging droplets, and the plastic undertray isn't wet with oil. The service minded peeps said it didn't look like a problem, and that pulling it out in the winter would be soon enough, but then again, mine is the first, and only RA they have touched, so i wanted to check in with you guys for a second opinion.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Is it leaving a puddle overnight?

Does fluid drip when you look underneath?

I ask - because it sounds like the shop didn't try very hard.

If neither of things are happening - I would just keep driving it...
Old Jun 12, 2017, 01:20 PM

Both is a resounding "no". I just don't know how long it has been leaking. (Bought the car 9 months ago, had it serviced by the Mitsu retailer that sold it at that point in time, and hey sure didn't mention it...If they had, they would have had to fix it, of course, so who knows...)

Any "symptoms" of low oil levels i should be aware of... That doesn't include complete failure, and a black silvery mess being stuck to the oil plug once removed...
I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world if i had to replace the gearbox, and, or engine, but i wasn't planing on doing that for another 4-10 years. (If at all.)
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If there is no puddles or drips then the its very unlikely the fluid amount that has been lost is large and there should be no issues.

Annoying yes, but your car is not going to die overnight. If your worried further get them to check it out again.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

it is possible some goober spilled oil filling it up....

Monitor oil level for awhile.

No maintenance needed yet...
Old Jun 14, 2017, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Veronica
it is possible some goober spilled oil filling it up....
Of course. That would be the ideal reason for why there is oil at all. I don't really have any history aside from the documents with the car, so i just don't know.

Originally Posted by Veronica
Monitor oil level for awhile.
Is that even possible? If so, how? That takes out the guesswork straight away.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by -=Mr B=-
Is that even possible? If so, how? That takes out the guesswork straight away.
check the oil level with the dipstick, take a picture with your phone drove for a few days and check again comparing to your picture. Do this for a month or so and you'll be able characterize your oil loss.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 07:12 PM

Didn't even know there was a dipstick for the transmission. Guess i have to stop taking my med's for long enough to see straight, walk out to the car, and check the manual.

I mean, if there is a dipstick, then there is a minimum and maximum marking. As long as i'm between those, i don't need to worry about that.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

No - no dip stick for tranny.

For peace of mind - I would pay dealer to check TC-SST fluid level once (and service if required). It is a fill/spill procedure. The drain plug for level check is really hard to get to (pull d/s wheel and have a hex tool that is "just right" length to bust the plug loose and properly torque when complete... I was thinking of buying a hex wrench and cutting it down until it did the job...
Old Jun 16, 2017, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by -=Mr B=-
Didn't even know there was a dipstick for the transmission. Guess i have to stop taking my med's for long enough to see straight, walk out to the car, and check the manual.

I mean, if there is a dipstick, then there is a minimum and maximum marking. As long as i'm between those, i don't need to worry about that.
I believe we were confused thinking you have an OIL LEAK, not a GEAR OIL leak. Makes more sense now, there is no accurate way to monitor it with a dipstick. Clean the area and watch for more oil to come out over time.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 09:54 AM

Crap. Dip-stick would have been great.

I've been sick as a dog the last week, so much of nothing at all, has happened.
I'm going to put it on the lift, pull the plastic, and hose it down with the pressure-washer, drive it until it is time for the yearly inspection (MOT?) and try to peek when they do their tests, to see what, if any, oil i can find at that point. If i'm going to pay anyone to do anything, i'll end up having them pull the unit, fix the leak, and then fill it back up, so that will probably be quite the process. (read as expensive)
Cheaper then buying a new unit when i've run this one without fluids, hence why i asked for ideas, warning signs and alike. I'd really prefer not to have to pull the unit right now, but i really, really don't wanna buy a new transmission right now either.
I can see my self putting a EvoX engine & transmission in the RA a couple of years from now, when both are, well, well worn, and need a major overhaul to be serviceable, I think i could get away with that without the inspection people figuring it out. (again, MOT?)
Just not right now.