Notices

Running the Fog lights without headlights

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2010, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyway ... i guess the other way is to tap the fog in the "accessory" in the fuse and put a switch in between.

anyway, thanks alot !
Old Apr 25, 2010, 12:05 PM

Hey guys,
I tried to do this is a while back and let me tell you to check and double check everything before you do it. I killed my ecu and burnt the fuse box. I would suggest going with your own switch because trying to use the ecu switch is what did it for me. I had to lie to the dealer and said i found it like this. They fixed it cause it came down to everything being under warranty but it took them two weeks and they had to replace fuse box and ecu and everything according to the bill they gave me came up to $1300. I was so lucky that I didnt have to pay.

I would love to find a way to do it. But i am not gonna do it myself. I cant go through that again. If someone finds something please do update.
Old May 10, 2010, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Doarrival
Hey guys,
I tried to do this is a while back and let me tell you to check and double check everything before you do it. I killed my ecu and burnt the fuse box. I would suggest going with your own switch because trying to use the ecu switch is what did it for me. I had to lie to the dealer and said i found it like this. They fixed it cause it came down to everything being under warranty but it took them two weeks and they had to replace fuse box and ecu and everything according to the bill they gave me came up to $1300. I was so lucky that I didnt have to pay.

I would love to find a way to do it. But i am not gonna do it myself. I cant go through that again. If someone finds something please do update.

It cant be done by using the factory switch, ralliart use an interface circuit. meaning headlight, drl and foglamps are getting signal from only one wire. it is like from the multifunction switch run to one wire to etacs/ecu, etacs/ecu process what kind of signal it is then give negative trigger to foglamps relay then relay turn on the foglamps. unless use an aftermarket switch bypassing the etacs/ecu. it had to be a negative signal...
Old May 10, 2010, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The most reliable method is to run a wire to the #1 terminal on the fog light relay, put a toggle switch on the wire, and ground the other pin on the toggle. When you flip the switch, you turn on the relay, sending power to the fogs. If you wanted to get fancy, you could put another relay in place of the toggle, and have the headlight switch activate it. Then your fogs would always come on with the headlights.

No need to cut any wires. Unfortunately, you lose the function of the button on the dash. Nobody's been able to reliably make that button work independently.
Attached Thumbnails Running the Fog lights without headlights-fog-relay.jpg  
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

Running the Fog Lights Without Headlights (Merged)

Is there a way to run the fog lights without running the headlights ... you know, kind of like the Corvettes?

Last edited by 03chi-town0Z; May 11, 2011 at 04:23 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by komilp13
Is there a way to run the fog lights without running the headlights ... you know, kind of like the Corvettes?
I work for a mitsu service dept and I've hounded about this, but there isn't anyway to my knowledge to do this. I find out anything from my DPSM, I'll let you know.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 02:39 PM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...ght-mod-2.html

Have you read that?
Old Jun 15, 2010, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

u can run them independently,if u have an independent switch that is tabbed to another source..

that seems to be the easiest way to do it
Old Jun 15, 2010, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris RA
I work for a mitsu service dept and I've hounded about this, but there isn't anyway to my knowledge to do this. I find out anything from my DPSM, I'll let you know.
+1. when i get bored or have some downtime at work, i usually play around with the car and i have tried probably every angle of getting the etacs to let me run the fogs independently. the only other thing i have yet to do is try to simulate a customer or port-installed upgrade to hid and see if it will then trigger the fogs to come on as drl, though i think i may have to re-pin the wiring connectors. i need to get some instructions for a fog lamp install kit on a hid car and reverse engineer the process...
Old Jan 22, 2011, 03:52 AM

The only way that it seemed to work was when installed my h.i.d's I would (while the car is running) turn off the lights, then turn them back on. The head lights wont light up, but the fogs can be turned on/off.

Running the Fog lights without headlights-2010-12-16-14.15.44.jpg

Last edited by bluevojr; Jan 22, 2011 at 04:09 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 05:57 PM

theres a way to run your headlights to your fog lights, then to turn on your headlights you switch on the fog lights
Old Jul 29, 2011, 12:04 PM

yeah there's away, if you run HID's in both all you have to do is get HID extension cables and route your fogs to your headlights and your headlight wires to your fogs, simple solution.

Result

Position 0
OFF Park Light
OFF Head Light
OFF Fog Light

Position 1
ON Park Light
OFF Head Light
OFF Fog Light

Position 2
ON Park Light
OFF Head Light
ON Fog Light

Factory foglight switch will then toggle the headlights =)
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by laksman91
what's the main idea behind getting them to be independent
Like 8 years late here, but... Here in Sweden, it's actually illegal to run fog-lights, with headlights. Either or, not both. Not sure how they managed to make this car legal with the setup it has, but i don't care...
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:04 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If anyone is reading this and is curious about wanting to run just fogs. It can be programmed to have ONLY fog lights in the ETACS. I have done it and have been running around with this for two years now, I didn't need to cut wires or do any funky things to my cars electronics just to run fog only.

This option is in the ETACS system specifically for countries (Like above post) were running headlights with fogs is illegal. (It is also dangerous to drive with headlights on in fog lights because of the headlights reflecting off the fog, here as fog lights aim underneath the fog. Anyone with an old vehicle that had fogs will know what I mean by this)

Anyways, if you want this feature it just needs to be reprogrammed. Your market doesn't matter as this is a reprogrammable feature.

On a side note, I also have it programmed so I can run Fog, low and high all at the same time. ( I don't use this, but I can turn all on at once when I want.) * I love our ETACS! *
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:48 AM

Um... So, how?
Does it take Mitsubishi only software / hardware, or could this be done with something like the OpenPort 2.0, and the appropriate software, and if so, what software would that be?

I would like to make it so that the foglight on switch lights the foglights, and turns of the main running headlights, and turn it "on" again lights the rear lights as well. When you turn them of, you turn it to "off" you kill the front ones first, and the rear ones after.
Meaning, if you run all alone, you turn all of them on by turning it twice, and when you get closer to someone in front you kill the front ones, and have rears still on. If someone catches up to you before you caught up to someone you turn it all the way off, and on just once, and keep fogs forward.

The Mercedes i had was real easy to work... Turn on the foglights once for forward, once more for rear. Force main headlights on, or flash headlights to kill fogs and switch to mains, and turn of once to kill the rear. It always killed all foglights when using the switch, so headlight trickery required to kill fogs forward, but it was easy enough to remember.

Quick Reply: Running the Fog lights without headlights