How To: Change Brake Fluid - EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

How To: Change Brake Fluid

Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:26 PM   #1

How To: Change Brake Fluid

Hello,

I was thinking of changing the brake fluid on my 09 RA and I was wondering

1. What would be the best/recommended fluid to use?
2. How important is bleeding out the brake fluid at the calipers when changing the brake fluid? i.e. can I just get away with pumping out the old brake fluid from the main reservoir and topping it off with the new fluid as that is where the majority of the brake fluid is kept anyways? Would this lead to poor performance or quicker brake wear?

Thanks

Old Sep 27, 2013, 01:54 PM   #2

Drives: 2009 Lancer Ralliart

Recommended would be Mitsubishi brake fluid DOT 3/4. Best? Id suggest looking at reviews and boiling points. Depending how hard youíre going to track your car. If itís a DD just stick with recommended DOT 3 or 4

I would not suggest replacing by reservoir. Mixing different types is a bad idea. I would go about putting it on all 4 jack stands and bleeding them one by ones until the new stuff comes through the bleed line. This way you get everything out and all the new fluid in. Hope this helps.

Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMamba88 View Post
Recommended would be Mitsubishi brake fluid DOT 3/4. Best? Id suggest looking at reviews and boiling points. Depending how hard youíre going to track your car. If itís a DD just stick with recommended DOT 3 or 4

I would not suggest replacing by reservoir. Mixing different types is a bad idea. I would go about putting it on all 4 jack stands and bleeding them one by ones until the new stuff comes through the bleed line. This way you get everything out and all the new fluid in. Hope this helps.
Thanks

Old Nov 15, 2017, 11:27 AM   #4

Drives: 17 Jaguar F-Pace S; 09 Lancer Ralliart; 17 Audi S3 (wife's car)

What is the recommended interval for changing brake fluid?