Notices

09+ Ralliart Ultimate Racing Catback Exhaust Install Question

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2014, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09+ Ralliart Ultimate Racing Catback Exhaust Install Question

So I recently purchase a UR catback exhaust for my 2012 RA. I ran into a couple problems was hoping someone else either has install the exhaust or ran into similar problems when installing other exhaust and hopefully help me. So pretty much everything about installing this exhaust was easy and fit right in where old exhaust was until I got to the long and straight exhaust pipe that connected to the cat. The flange that meets up with cat flange had some issues. Firstly the heat shield around cat had small lip and prevented the two flanges from connecting. Second even after I trimmed away some of the heat shield lip to get a good fit there was a third problem. The bolts went in snug and so I thought everything tight start her up did and her rattling the bolts were tight but, somehow the gasket in between the pipe and cats pipe still rattling. I used a impact gun and got bolt tight as can be. So right now kinda stumped on the issue any suggestions or idea's?

Last edited by Oriolefaith; Sep 10, 2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
The OEM flange and the new one are probably different thickness...

You may need shorter (shank) bolts or need to add washers...

Remove the nut and see if you can see thread all the way up the bolt to the flange...
If not - add washers and torque it down. Can see at least two threads protruding from the nut when tight?

If not - TO THE HARDWARE STORE! Ensure you get good grade bolts and nuts (and use anti-seize on the bolts). Get zinc plated (not just common steel which will rust) hardware...

Pipe should fit tight and no rattles when done.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:10 AM

I had the same issue installing mine. Went to a performance shop by me and got shorter bolts snugged right up
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Did you guys not receive new bolts from UR when you bought the exhaust? Or is it that the bolts they gave were just too long?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 04:40 AM

The bolts they sent me were too long
Old Sep 30, 2014, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

How much shorter did you need to get? I'm doing the install on my car tomorrow and hopefully won't run into this problem. Unless should I just get more washers?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 05:19 PM

Not too much washers would have done it how did you make out?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Install had to be pushed to Saturday. My friends who are helping me out got called into work. We're doing the exhaust along with my intercooler/piping all at once.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 11:45 PM
Evolved Member

So I got the exhaust on. Just had to unbolt the heat shield a little and pry it apart to get the midpipe on instead of cutting away some of it and I reused the old bolts to the cat instead of the new ones from UR.

Does the exhaust get a little quieter over the course of a few days? Seems a lot louder than I was expecting.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 07:35 PM

Yeah a dulls down after a week or two. At least it seems like it did
Old Oct 9, 2014, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah it quieted down for mine also. The first few days were torture lol now its making me want to throw a HFC on it.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 02:19 AM

Hate to revive an old thread, but I'm curious if this is a recurring issue with the ultimate racing exhaust? Really wanna get myself into the single exit for my ralliart, but with all these rattling issues and heat shield problems I've become weary if someone can shed some light on this, it'd be much appreciated.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine fit perfectly for a few months then all of a sudden it started rubbing on the body behind the HFC. I wrapped the contact part in header wrap until I get some new rubber mounts and hope that fixes the problem.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Oriolefaith
So I recently purchase a UR catback exhaust for my 2012 RA. I ran into a couple problems was hoping someone else either has install the exhaust or ran into similar problems when installing other exhaust and hopefully help me. So pretty much everything about installing this exhaust was easy and fit right in where old exhaust was until I got to the long and straight exhaust pipe that connected to the cat. The flange that meets up with cat flange had some issues. Firstly the heat shield around cat had small lip and prevented the two flanges from connecting. Second even after I trimmed away some of the heat shield lip to get a good fit there was a third problem. The bolts went in snug and so I thought everything tight start her up did and her rattling the bolts were tight but, somehow the gasket in between the pipe and cats pipe still rattling. I used a impact gun and got bolt tight as can be. So right now kinda stumped on the issue any suggestions or idea's?
I was told by UR that the exhaust hangers and the hanger mounts are different sizes. My cat mod shop confirmed this. Problem is that I can't find anyone who sells the triangle shaped hanger mounts that is 10mm. The UR hangers are 10mm versus Mitsubishi OEM hanger mounts 12mm. I got some rattling also after installing them. Anyone have the same problem as my setup? Cat back with resonator downpipe on a 2011 Ralliart