Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

AEM Safegaurds for Alky/Meth Instructions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2006, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, meant if your boosting hard and run out of meth, did AEM jump back to the standard pump map safely? No quirks?
Old Feb 28, 2006, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by itzwolf
Sorry, meant if your boosting hard and run out of meth, did AEM jump back to the standard pump map safely? No quirks?
Yes, the thing is that it doesn't jump maps though. It is all the same map, all it does is turn off the NOS activation just like as if you was using No2 on your car so it all happens in an instant. If you are running high boost you must but using the AEM for boost control as well unless you come up with some sort of turn off power mechanism for your EBC as others have done. It works very well, if you have the AEM I highly suggest using it even if it is solely for tuning because the tuning due to the activation latency is much more consistent as well. There are no quorks or issues with using it, there is only a positive side.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Yea I know it didn't 'change' maps per say, but meant did it quickly switch off the nitrous options.

I haven't tried getting AEM to control my boost yet. I have a profec b spec II solenoid (same as Apexi), read it runs at 30Hz, but only close option for that is 31Hz, is that safe? Need to read up on it more.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Yea I know it didn't 'change' maps per say, but meant did it quickly switch off the nitrous options.

I haven't tried getting AEM to control my boost yet. I have a profec b spec II solenoid (same as Apexi), read it runs at 30Hz, but only close option for that is 31Hz, is that safe? Need to read up on it more.
Yes during fast logging it seemed to switch <.02 seconds (within one frame logging at 250 samples per second.). I do believe that is what other people was using for the best responce from the solenoid.
Old May 10, 2006, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Everyone just so you are aware the SMC kit spray light will not turn on if the pump can not make >40psi of pressure. I have tested this myself and you should test it too if you need to reassure yourself.

Just simply drain your tank and refill with just a bit of water, unhook the line and jet from the car and place the line with jet installed inside bucket so alky/water doesn't get out side of it on the car at all. I threw a towel in the bucket to keep the mist down. After you do this hold the test button down you will see the spray light shut off once the pump looses its prime and is not make pressure in the lines.

It will do this becuase the switch ontop of the pump is a pressure switch set to kick on/off at >40psi. When the switch kicks off the wire has almost no voltage, when the switch is on and the pump is making pressure the wire has 4.5volts to power the LED in the controler and to switch the AEM Map.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by johnjonfenomeno
My list is off the full options menu. I have AEM firmware 1.11.

I think the Maximum RPM is can be set by these

NOS Overrev Off
Units: RPM
Desciption: Nitrous will be activated only when the engine speed is below this value. This is an over-rev type function that should disable the nitrous under unsafe engine conditions or when on the rev limiter.

NOS Overrev On
Units: RPM
Desciption: Hysteresis condition for nitrous overrev condition. Must be set lower than NOS Overrev Off option.

I think NOS on above load

NOS Off Above Load
Units: Engine Load
Desciption: Above this engine load the EMS will deactivate the nitrous control. This can be used to spool a turbocharger, which will turn OFF the nitrous once the desired boost has been reached, or as a safety measure to prevent the nitrous from being active in an overboost situation. When the engine reaches this load point, the EMS will cut the active signal to the nitrous relay, and disable any trims that have been set. Set this to the maximum allowable pressure to be active.

NOS Reinstate Load
Desciption: Hysteresis condition for nitrous load conditions. Must be set higher than NOS Off Below Load option and lower than the NOS Off Above Load condition.

NOS Off Below Load
Desciption: The nitrous control will be OFF when below this engine load. Note: The nitrous will not necessarily be ON when above this engine load.
Did you ever get this figured out, as I don't have them options either, and Nitrous is not getting switched on, but everything else checks out...
Old Jun 19, 2006, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Did you ever get this figured out, as I don't have them options either, and Nitrous is not getting switched on, but everything else checks out...
Have you tryed the following settings?

NOS Off Above Load 35.12
NOS Reinstate Load 34.92
NOS Off Below Load -14.69
NOS Overrev Off 11000
NOS Overrev On 9000
NOS Minimum RPM 0
NOS Maximum VSS 255
NOS Minimum VSS 0
NOS On Above TPS .39%
NOS Off Below TPS 0.00%

This should work for you but you can still change the turn on points as wished just be sure to follow the rules you quoted above. Hopefully this helps get you lined out.

Last edited by GTVEVO; Jun 19, 2006 at 07:39 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

GTVEVO,

I will try them options today once I get home. I'll message ya later if your on and let you know.

"NOS On Above TPS .39%" That differs from the original directions? Did you have to change that as well?
Old Jun 19, 2006, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

GTVEVO,

I will try them options today once I get home. I'll message ya later if your on and let you know.

"NOS On Above TPS .39%" That differs from the original directions? Did you have to change that as well?
Yes you are correct, the settings above for the higher AEM Pro version are just base settings to get it to turn on, at that point you can change to what ever you feel will work best for your setup such as TPS, Load and VSS turn on points. Hopefully those settings above will get you atleast working where the NOS will turn on for you. If not let me know and I will try to dig up my old V1.19 map and grab them off of there, I don't really approve of that version so I don't run it any longer.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

works like a charm.. I have it controlling my boost with a perrin EBCS.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Interesting thing is I use v1.11, but newest AEM Pro software. We've talked about v1.19 and the phantom knock is horrible so I wont use it. I don't get why I don't ahve the same options you have, unless it's simple the AEM Pro software...
Old Jul 30, 2006, 03:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was just out driving yesterday with a new wastegate spring installed, and the power seemed a bit "flat" in the upper RPM's.... so I took a look at the data logs and find that my boost as read on the AEM EMS was 27 psi, and my timing was flatlining! A/F ratio was a bit lean (not excessively so, just a bit) Came home and checked the alchy kit with the test switch.... it used to give a spray light almost imediatly after pushing the button, and stall out the car at idle. Now, after holding the button for a few seconds the engine starts to run rough, and after a couple more seconds the spray light finally comes on. I am not sure if the pump crapped out, or the lines between the pump and pressure sensor are plugged, but the SMC hook into the AEM produced a very safe outcome (zero knock on the log) it what could have been a really bad situation without the safety feature setup.

Keith
Old Jul 31, 2006, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fourdoor
I was just out driving yesterday with a new wastegate spring installed, and the power seemed a bit "flat" in the upper RPM's.... so I took a look at the data logs and find that my boost as read on the AEM EMS was 27 psi, and my timing was flatlining! A/F ratio was a bit lean (not excessively so, just a bit) Came home and checked the alchy kit with the test switch.... it used to give a spray light almost imediatly after pushing the button, and stall out the car at idle. Now, after holding the button for a few seconds the engine starts to run rough, and after a couple more seconds the spray light finally comes on. I am not sure if the pump crapped out, or the lines between the pump and pressure sensor are plugged, but the SMC hook into the AEM produced a very safe outcome (zero knock on the log) it what could have been a really bad situation without the safety feature setup.

Keith
Very glad to hear that the AEM Safegaurd may of saved you from some serious engine damage. Hopefully you get things figured out and thanks for post the praise.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 02:46 AM
Evolving Member

This is an interesting thread. One reason I am replying is to bump it. Another reason is to ask if anyone else has tried this with a kit other than the SMC and what were their experiences?

Shouldn't this be in the WaterAlcohol Injection forum too?

Thanks,
strike
Old Nov 12, 2006, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by strikethree
This is an interesting thread. One reason I am replying is to bump it. Another reason is to ask if anyone else has tried this with a kit other than the SMC and what were their experiences?

Shouldn't this be in the WaterAlcohol Injection forum too?

Thanks,
strike
This can be done with any kit, I have done it with the SMC and provided the instructions. VTECH8TR has also been sucessfull in providing the owner of AlkyControl with the needs to have it work on his kit personally also. I don't know if AlkyControl changed their kits but I am sure VTECH8TR could point you in the correct direction to get you what you need for an AlkyControl kit.

Keep in mind this process will work with any kit as long as you have the AEM and a way to read the pressure in the line via pressure sensor, there are several different ways you could impliment it using a 0-5volt or simple ground source. You could also impliment other safegaurds in line with this one it all just depends on how creative you want to get.

Quick Reply: AEM Safegaurds for Alky/Meth Instructions