Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

push-starting an AEM-equipped car??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2009, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
push-starting an AEM-equipped car??

I have not had a need to do this, but something came up while I was out driving today.. As I approached the stop light, my car simply died when the clutch was depressed..I was able to restart the car without any issues by coming to a stop, re-priming the fuel system, then cranking like usual. It got me thinking... What if I had to restart the car without a booster battery? What if my only alternative was to have the car pushed?

I'm asking this because with the hydra that I ran before, the car could be push started if the need arose.. If the car died as I was approaching a traffic light, all I had to do was to take my foot off the clutch pedal, and the momentum of the drivetrain car would jump the engine back to life again..

With the AEM as you know, the engine has to crank over 100 times for the synchronization, after which the ECU will give spark... which makes me wonder how you would accomplish this on a car that required a push start?

Or is push starting the car completely out of the question with this ems?
Old Feb 17, 2009, 11:02 AM

It works. You can use car dynamics to start it again....... but still the better way is: "Tune your AEM, and your car will not die"
Old Feb 17, 2009, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

yea it will start fine, if you are rolling 20mph and let the clutch out it will spin those "100 times" pretty quickly.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Or you could set the "high idle" adjustment. Where it adds whatever RPM you want above a certain MPH. I agree with "tune your aem and your car will not die"
Old Feb 18, 2009, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the response guys. Yes, I do know about the high idle adjustment to prevent the engine from dying.

It was just that when it happened and I restarted the car, it suddenly occurred to me as to how exactly one would get the ECU to fire the engine up IF you happened to have a dead battery, since the ECU insists on seeing the engine spin over a few times before it will fire it up.