Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

Passing smog question..

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2009, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passing smog question..

Before I start, I tried searching and couldn't find anything.. so it's either really obvious or I just don't know..

So as you all know, I recently bought my car.. I went to smog it today and I didn't pass, as I have the AEM standalone and it didn't connect to the OBDII to do the test.. what do you all do to pass around here? I have a 35r turbo attached so putting the exhaust back on may not help any.. I need to get it done within the next few weeks..

Thanks!

*edit*

Looks like the problem I'm running into is that even if I find someone to "tip to fix" the fact is that i'm using AEM and they can't connect to the ECU... how do all of you with AEM do it?

Last edited by DJJimGreen; Feb 28, 2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
From what I know any standalone will make the car fail. Reconnect your factory ecu?
I too would like to know how people street drive their cars with a standalone.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im pretty sure that a car with an evos wont pass inspection from what iv been told. only the factory ecu has the info to send to the inspection computer to allowe it to pass and as far as the smog your on your own massachusetts just got rid of smog testing
Old Feb 27, 2009, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by silver9mr
im pretty sure that a car with an evos wont pass inspection from what iv been told. only the factory ecu has the info to send to the inspection computer to allowe it to pass and as far as the smog your on your own massachusetts just got rid of smog testing
that'd be nice.. shoot.. yea, I can't swap back to the stock ecu as I have different injectors in there and the MAF sensor would throw it yea?
Old Feb 27, 2009, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

bump.. problem not solved actually..

Last edited by DJJimGreen; Feb 28, 2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

updated the question..
Old Mar 1, 2009, 10:39 AM

swaped back stock injectors, maf and stock ecu. drive around till the ready codes clear. take to DEQ or emissions. some of that may require rewiring.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SR20S13
swaped back stock injectors, maf and stock ecu. drive around till the ready codes clear. take to DEQ or emissions. some of that may require rewiring.
I was thinking of doing that but.. do you think the codes will clear with a 35r turbo in there and no cat? The 02 code would be thrown at least right?
Old Mar 1, 2009, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

hey same here i will need ot get a sticker in my car but i have aem ems hwo will i go thru this? since u say it wont match up at all
Old Mar 1, 2009, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

i do not have the stock ecu handy at all so im stuck with aem ems
Old Mar 1, 2009, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DJJimGreen
I was thinking of doing that but.. do you think the codes will clear with a 35r turbo in there and no cat? The 02 code would be thrown at least right?
There's a Perrin o2 sim or even simpler, using antifoulers to get the rear o2 not to throw the CEL. Search the forums and you'll find plenty of info.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by amui07
There's a Perrin o2 sim or even simpler, using antifoulers to get the rear o2 not to throw the CEL. Search the forums and you'll find plenty of info.
so to pass, it looks like I'm going to have to get the antifoulers and go back to stock ecu..
Old Mar 1, 2009, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

there a many other ways like a friend who also has an evo
if you know wut i mean
Old Mar 2, 2009, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by DJJimGreen
You can use your WB as an output for simulating rear o2 sensor. Good programing of its analog output must be succesfull.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

There are several ways of having a street driven evo on an AEM. However most ways "bend" the rules and therefore are not discussed much on the forums.

Your best bet is swapping back to stock ECU. If you know someone with a cable, you could do a quick a dirty tune so that the car would run a little better on the 35r. If you go over to the stock ecu tuning forum, they have several methods of getting around different CEL's that may pop up.

As far as the other methods, czilla may be on to something. Also in my state, some counties don't require emissions while others do. If I happen to live in one of the counties that didn't require emission, I would be good. There are several ways of "living" in those counties. That's as much as I'll say on the subject. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Passing smog question..