Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.

Aem ems antilag

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2012, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I just found this thread & I'm very interested in the AEM EMS, mainly because I heard it has knock control feature, I wonder if anyone here would confirm the knock control issue? Is it effective enough & how similar is it to stock ecu knock control? I also, got to have rally style anti lag, (it's a competition car). Found some misconceptions about ALS in previous boosts here, an aftermarket ecu als doesn't require a JDM sas, because it achieves proper anti lag in conjunction with a throttle kick, ignition cut, & negative timing. SAS is operated only through a stock ECU which contains the necessary tables to run SAS. So, proper anti lag should be achievable on any Evo including USDMs if the ECU supports it.
Again, I wonder if anyone here would confirm that AEM EMS supports both antilag & knock control?
Old May 26, 2012, 07:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by foxbat
I just found this thread & I'm very interested in the AEM EMS, mainly because I heard it has knock control feature, I wonder if anyone here would confirm the knock control issue? Is it effective enough & how similar is it to stock ecu knock control? I also, got to have rally style anti lag, (it's a competition car). Found some misconceptions about ALS in previous boosts here, an aftermarket ecu als doesn't require a JDM sas, because it achieves proper anti lag in conjunction with a throttle kick, ignition cut, & negative timing. SAS is operated only through a stock ECU which contains the necessary tables to run SAS. So, proper anti lag should be achievable on any Evo including USDMs if the ECU supports it.
Again, I wonder if anyone here would confirm that AEM EMS supports both antilag & knock control?
Yes, it does. I'm not sure if it is the type of anti-lag you're looking for though.
Old May 26, 2012, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Series 1: During 2step/Anti Lag, most of the time it will generate enough engine noise to flag your knock control. The 2step/Anti Lag/NLTS does not disable the Knock control and thus if during those conditions the engine/exhaust make lots of noise the knock contorol will kick in.

Series 2: Has better filtering for knock control so you might be able to find a happy spot with it.

Infinity 10: Still waiting on them to release, however this thing should be a bad *****.\

Hope that helps.

Also a great example of where I see this, is when at the drag strip, and depending on how you have the 2step setup it can generate a lot of engine noise, so 1st gear would be running under knock control, by the end of 1st gear if you bounce it off the rev limiter and it is set to hard cut, it could flag knock control again. During NLTS I have not had any issues, however if you bounce it off the rev limiter with a hard cut it will almost always generate enough noise to flag knock contorl.
Old May 27, 2012, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the series 2 and wanted to confirm it has better filtering for knock control as well has numerous antilag and launch control options. Having a good tuner is mostly important too
Old May 27, 2012, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PrimerSdime
Yes, it does. I'm not sure if it is the type of anti-lag you're looking for though.
I'm not interested in NLTS, I need rally style antilag that is capable of producing some PSIs, around 7psi on overrun & when cornering where it's most needed. Such effective antilag is usually implemented in conjunction with a throttle kick that keeps throttle opened & could be usually controlled by an aftermarket ecu.

In regard to knock control, is it similar to a stock ecu kc? can it be modified decreasing/increasing its sensitivity?
Old May 28, 2012, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Seeing that we have a cable actuated throttle, I don't know how you would setup a throttle kick in the ECU.

You didn't see any misconceptions, you misunderstood what was posted.

Since we can't get a throttle kick, it was suggestd to use the JDM SAS that, combined with the timing adjustment/fuel addition, could provide some decent antilag. No one can get it to run on the US ECU, but it should be easy to get it to work on EMS. The SAS method has been done on rally cars for years, it's probably the best alternative short of switching to a drive by wire TB.

edit: also, you should just download the software and look around at the tables. You sound like you have a decent grasp on how it's supposed to work, it's pretty easy to setup.

Last edited by whoflungpoo; May 28, 2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

& in turn you misunderstood what I posted :]
a throttle kick could be easily implemented to a cable throttle, by using either an electric valve (magnetic) kick or an air solenoid type of kick, when those get actuated they physically open throttle (butterfly) to a certain degree. Such kick is usually enslaved to a switch so you don't have a high idle all the time. Often they would be switched on/off through an ECU (non-stock) assigned switch associated with antilag and/or a certain map.

The photo is an electric-valve throttle kick on an evo equipped with a Motec ecu
Attached Thumbnails Aem ems antilag-rev_pusher.jpg  

Last edited by foxbat; May 29, 2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by HREEvo
I have the series 2 and wanted to confirm it has better filtering for knock control as well has numerous antilag and launch control options. Having a good tuner is mostly important too
Having the right tuner or the right understanding of the software is always the key to utilizing these tools for the true meaning and full potential.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Some extra anti lag info for you

http://brewed-motorsports.blogspot.c...m-aka-als.html

PS **AEM can control the a secondary air system fairly well**
Old Jul 11, 2012, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tunermt

PS **AEM can control the a secondary air system fairly well**
Do you have proper antilag on with your AEM ems? Does it produce some decent PSIs in between shifts. All after market, antilag capable ECUs would need to operate in conjunction with a throttle kick in order to produce positive boost in between shifts.

Could you post a screen shot of the AEM SAS control tables? I've never seen any other ECU (other than stock) that could control SAS!
Old Jul 12, 2012, 05:56 AM
Evolving Member

No more throttle kick i'm going with the secondary air injection set up (EVO parts). I did do a minor throttle kick set up with the aem in the past and it does help quite a bit on my tiny turbo.

The AEM's software is not ideal for either set up by any means but you can work around it
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
No standalone will have factory sas tables embedded. It's likely something you would have to create. Just need the proper negative timing and fuel cOntrol. In sure ems could do it if you can create custom tables. Once I get my stock ecu tuned up I'll give the best effort I can. Time has been a big problem for me I'm working like mad!

Last edited by 211Ratsbud; Jul 20, 2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

the secondary air injection set up i use on my S13 ka24-t

I also set up a mild throttle kick ALS on my galant vr4 4g63.

Both cars use AEM ems and control the systems quite well. The ALS is also set up on a switch in both cars to give the driver control of ON or OFF. (you don't want to be dealing with ALS pulling in and out of the shop, trailer etc.

I have a couple short videos of each system i will post up as soon as i have the time!
Old Jun 17, 2015, 09:59 PM
Evolving Member

Little testing on my s13 that is running an AEM emsRally style anti lag tuning and system set up explained.
This car is using the secondary air injection kit I found this particular set up doesn't need much keep the turbo boost happy. On ignition cut set up at the track or under heavier use you do start to get a good bit more noise and flame. I like the ignition cut option as it helps keep heat/stress off the exhaust valves vs retarding the timing under ALS conditions.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

and my Vr4 galant running the Throttle bypass rally anti lag system.

Quick Reply: Aem ems antilag