Notices
AEM EMS Get tuning help for your AEM EMS system.
View Poll Results: Can the AEM be tuned for correct A/Fs?
No it can\'t my car runs pig rich all the time
4.35%
Yes it can and (fill in the blank) tuned it
65.22%
I hope it can be, I\'m still trying to do it
13.04%
what the hell is an AEM ems
17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Does anybody get this??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2004, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Does anybody get this??

OK, my car has the following:
3" turbo back exhaust w/test pipe
HKS RS intake
Walbro pump
RC 660 injectors
HKS 264/264 cams
HKS cam gears
AEM ems (in process of tuning...)
I'm monitoring the boost and EGTs with Greddy electronic gauges
I've got an AEM wide band controller & gauge in the way and a Greddy IC waiting to be installed.

The problem?? well, I know that it's good to be safe so my car runs rich.... The question is how rich should it run? look at these pictures of the puff of smoke during acceleration (hard to get those pictures..) and the "fart burns in the parking lot behind my car... Nobody else has those in the parking lot and it appeared within 4 weeks of driving the car as modded. And that's considering that I did not even drive the car for nearly 2 weeks out of that time

Does anybody else running the AEM ems have these symptoms? Can this be "cured"?
Attached Thumbnails Does anybody get this??-puff-smoke-small.jpg  
Old Mar 27, 2004, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

evidence on the pavement

Here is a shot of that "fart burn" my car has made in my parking space... It's kind of embarrasing actually...
Attached Thumbnails Does anybody get this??-fart-burns-small.jpg  

Last edited by silverEVO8; Mar 27, 2004 at 10:44 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2004, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

This shot is with flash so the color is more realistic....
Attached Thumbnails Does anybody get this??-fart-burns-2.jpg  
Old Mar 28, 2004, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you using the wideband O2 sensor, MAS delete, Map sensor, EGT etc.... give some more details. My car runs great with no smoke at all, only a little residue in the actual opening, it did that with stock though. It was tuned by Eurospeed in Cary, NC.
Old Mar 28, 2004, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Evo Ate
Are you using the wideband O2 sensor, MAS delete, Map sensor, EGT etc.... give some more details. My car runs great with no smoke at all, only a little residue in the actual opening, it did that with stock though. It was tuned by Eurospeed in Cary, NC.
I don't have the MAS, the car was tuned with the wide band O2 sensor but i don't have my wide band O2 controller and gauge yet . According to Boost Solutions they are on back order... Jason from Eurospeed told me they have them in stock. I'm talking with George at Boost Solutions about whether to wait or just order one from Eurospeed.... So far my car is been in the shop twice for tuning and stuff. The first time was for the install of intake, pump, injectors, exhaust, gauges and the AEM. The second time was for the cams, cam gears and more tuning. I'm not too excited with the level of tune of my car yet. I don't know what the wide band O2 sensor would say since i don't have one, but I think that given the evidence of smoke and soot I believe the car is running too rich at some point or points where it could be a lot leaner without risk. Also, my last fillup calculated my fuel use at around 16.4 mpg..... That kind of sucks I think. seems like with a proper tune and not abusing the loud pedal I should be getting around 19-20 mpg which was my mileage when it was stock.... Of course, when you are making all kinds of power (I don't know how much I make yet) you are gonna use lots of fuel. However, it would seem that in highway cruising or commuting I should get decent gas mileage......
Old Mar 28, 2004, 01:16 PM
In Timeout

When the dyno day comes we will see, I wish George would be up there as well but he said he is going to Hot Import nights, Good customer support there. Anyway I bet your cars power running that rich is LESS then stock. We will see, there are going to be some GOOD tuners there so we can get it worked out. Looks like 8:1 or worse to me, ****ty MPG plus no power = poor tune. I am not here to slam George but he should take care of you and so far he has not.
Old Mar 28, 2004, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

My mods are similar to silver's less the cams and added fuel items, but my mileage is good around 25mpg. It seems as if his car is running excessively rich, and burning fuel heavily. The dyno with wideband will tell....good luck.
Old Mar 28, 2004, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Evo Ate
My mods are similar to silver's less the cams and added fuel items, but my mileage is good around 25mpg. It seems as if his car is running excessively rich, and burning fuel heavily. The dyno with wideband will tell....good luck.
Yeah, I think that the car should run a lot more efficiently and better than it's running now. We'll see how things work out...
Old Mar 28, 2004, 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

keep in mind that if you have a cat a wideband in the tail pipe wont read exactly correct, you need the sensor before the cat. the wideband after the cat will read leaner than it really is. that could be why you're car "seems" "ok" on the dyno but dosnt drive ok.

thats why road tuning with proper equipment is esential to a well tuned car.

chris's car (evo ate) is running in the upper 11:1 afr at wot under boost and still gets good economy and dosnt blow plumes of black smoke.
Old Mar 28, 2004, 10:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Wadzii
keep in mind that if you have a cat a wideband in the tail pipe wont read exactly correct, you need the sensor before the cat. the wideband after the cat will read leaner than it really is.
The car was tuned with a test pipe

that could be why you're car "seems" "ok" on the dyno but dosnt drive ok.

thats why road tuning with proper equipment is esential to a well tuned car.

chris's car (evo ate) is running in the upper 11:1 afr at wot under boost and still gets good economy and dosnt blow plumes of black smoke.
The car has not been dyno tuned so far, only road tuned .... The tune was done with a wide band O2 sensor......
How's Evo Ate's car tuned? is the fuel map boost compensated?

Last edited by silverEVO8; Mar 29, 2004 at 06:39 AM.
Old Mar 29, 2004, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by silverEVO8

How's Evo Ate's car tuned? is the fuel map boost compensated?
yep.. i tuned it. i do everything with the ems boost comp'd. we did the inital tune on the street, then we went down to Knowledge performance near atlanta to do some fine tuning and see what the evo liked. for some reason the car ran richer down there than it did up here so we had to do a little more road tuning to straighten it out.
Old Mar 29, 2004, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

yep.. i tuned it. i do everything with the ems boost comp'd. we did the inital tune on the street, then we went down to Knowledge performance near atlanta to do some fine tuning and see what the evo liked. for some reason the car ran richer down there than it did up here so we had to do a little more road tuning to straighten it out.
So you ended up leaning it a bit more in the final tune? My guess is that my car is running either too rich at idle and at cold start (or warm start) or perhaps I have some injector issues.... George has my car again and he's going to fine tune it. I expect that it'll be sorted out soon..... One of the issues that I'm having is that the mods are happening one at the time. For instance, the first go around did not include the cams and cam gears. Now I'm still without the Greddy IC and the wide band controller/gauge. The car will probably need tweaking after each mod is done and I'll have these issues until it's all done I really don't see dyno tuning it until all the mods are done.....
BTW, are you coming down to the Dynoday at Limey's in May?
Old Mar 29, 2004, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

running to rich at idle will cause buildup that will get blasted out soon as you hit the gas. what afr are you idleing at? most evo's i have done like about 14:1 and about 1000 rpms to be happiest. what injectors do you have?

where is limey's? if we arent doing anything and yall want some tuning im sure i could make it assuming it isnt too far...
Old Mar 29, 2004, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

running to rich at idle will cause buildup that will get blasted out soon as you hit the gas. what afr are you idleing at? most evo's i have done like about 14:1 and about 1000 rpms to be happiest. what injectors do you have?
I don't know what A/Fs I'm running, I don't have the A/F gauge yet... My idle fluctuates a good bit but it's supposed to be set at 1000. My injectors are RC 660's and I'm running them with a Perrin fuel rail.

where is limey's? if we arent doing anything and yall want some tuning im sure i could make it assuming it isnt too far...
The shop is Dyno4mance, and they have a webpage too I think it's www.dyno4mance.com
The dyno day that's planned for May 15 is here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=71625
As you can see it's a Shiv tuning weekend. I'm sure a lot of ppl will be there and no doubt other tuners as well. I've planned to go there at least for some dyno pulls. George from Boost Solutions wont be there since they are scheduled to be somewhere else that weekend.... Maybe you could make it.
Old Mar 29, 2004, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

ill see about making it down there... ill talk to the guys there and see about some ems tuning. we have a few customers in GA that have traveled to our shop to get the ems installed and would probably want to dyno....

do you know if the battery offset is set properly for those injectors?

Quick Reply: Does anybody get this??