Notices

Lancer Airfilters, the facts........well as I found them

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2003, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Lancer Airfilters, the facts........well as I found them

A startling new find which will benefit everybody with a high performing 1.8 L 4G93 Lancer.

Last friday I went to Mitsi to purchase a new airfilter element which I didn't because they asked $61.20 for the item. No problem I thought, fit the Ryco item since they will be manufacturing for Mitsi anyway. So I purchased part number A1311 from my local friendly supplier.

Upon unpacking the item I noticed that the filter media was a black colour whereas the original factory item was white material. Before installing I held white one up to sun and was suprised how thin it was, the sun shone through on the bends in the pleats, I thought OK thats fine. Then held up the new black one to sun and not one ray of light shone through, very interesting, it was obiviously thicker!

Fitted the new black item and went on hols! Car went well enough but difficult to tell any change until car was unladen 2500 km later. Now the beast didn't go near as well, so what to do. Checked boost gauge at 6000 rpm and lo and behold 2 psi of boost was missing, was it the belt or the filter??????????

So got the old one which I bought with me and got a torch and shone through and it definitely was thin like I remembered and the black one, no light shone through at all. Took some photos which I will post up in another 10 days or so. So I put this back in and presto the missing 2 psi had returned together with the ballistic acceleration. Am now thinking of trying a foam, I have had excellent results from using these in the past.

So there it is, the factory Mitsi filter is freest flowing and changing to a Ryco could reduce the performance of your engine.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 08:59 PM

Have you tried a K&N?
Old Sep 18, 2003, 02:06 AM
Evolving Member

Unhappy K&N

I have never used this product as I always have some concerns with dust retention in dusty locations, also think that it could become loaded with dust much sooner than most other aftermarket filter types.

Anyone care to correct me on this issue?? Any evidence of how good the K&N is and what price they commonly sell for the Lancer application?

I like the airflow of foam and the service it yourself stuff but hate how the oil goes over everything that is in connection with the filter once it has been in there 6 months or so.
Old Sep 18, 2003, 05:38 AM

i have a k and n replacment element as im sure we are all sure that the lancers can not use pods unless they are the special mas ones.
any how i had to fork out the big bucks and get one of these bad boys and let me say its a hell of a diff..... i will honeslty say i felt a diff in performance and would recomend this filter to any/everyone. with the removal of the resinator box and the addition of the filter (and my cai) the car has made a huge diff and just as a example. a guy with a 2002 model lancer 1.8L extractors and exhaust pulled over 4kw at wheels less than i did with my lancer which is a 96model. same dyno same day.
Old Sep 18, 2003, 06:40 AM

I got the panel for my Magna. I'm guessing there's a panel available too. As far as difference between panels and pods go, I'd say it's bugger all unless your pod doesn't have some CAI to protect it from the engine bay. Plus CAI doesn't really show it's benefits on a dyno.

I got the panel as it costs the price of 4 replacement Mitsu filters. I'll save money in the long run. I didn't do the light test but I did blow through them. Noticeable difference. I reckon that dusty areas might be of concern but then you'd just use the recharge kit more often than the claimed 100,000km's or whatever it is. As for the oil, a mechanic expressed a little concern after seeing that some WRX's have had issues with them as the oil has corroded elements in the air sensor. I felt that I noticed a difference. Throttle seemed to be slightly more responsive and it felt eager to hit the higher revs. With the panel and muffler change, I picked up 11HP at the wheels, (two dyno runs on the same day). A similar muffler increases the Magna Exec (3.5l) from 155kW to 163kW and mine's the 3.0. 160HP at the wheels - whoohoo!

Last edited by Redav; Sep 18, 2003 at 06:43 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2003, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

Lightbulb Keep the info coming

Keep the info coming, I will learn something about K&N here I think!
Old Sep 19, 2003, 09:35 AM

I changed the original filter to a replacement K&N panel and noticed a huge difference. I've tried a pod but I lost about 10km/h from the top end... I think the pod just sucks in too much hot air from the engine bay.
The standard air box and a cold air feed from the front grill works wonders... I've clocked up almost 300 000 kms so I don't think reliability is anything to worry about! Go the K&N for sure
Old Sep 19, 2003, 08:44 PM

http://members.optusnet.com.au/damimess/my%20car/cai/
Old Sep 19, 2003, 10:05 PM

I had a standard gsr filter, and then replaced it with a HKS insert...didnt notice a diff.

Then i swaped it for a Blitz filter (stainless ones...)

Looks sexy, sounds better, boosts better (ie response) but gets so friggin dirty so quickly......

Its filthy at the moment.....
Old Sep 19, 2003, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by Grover
I changed the original filter to a replacement K&N panel and noticed a huge difference. I've tried a pod but I lost about 10km/h from the top end... I think the pod just sucks in too much hot air from the engine bay.
The standard air box and a cold air feed from the front grill works wonders... I've clocked up almost 300 000 kms so I don't think reliability is anything to worry about! Go the K&N for sure
Yeah, pods aren't great unless there's some decent cold air induction. Actually, I reckon that if a pod and panel both has optimal CAI setup, there's a chance that the panel might be better. But there wouldn't be much in it.

Once it can breath better, other mods like oversize throttle bodies, FPR's, extractors and ECU upgrades will work that much better.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

Arrow Air Filter Solution still to happen

Hmmm still thinking about all this airfilter business

I was talking to a company at the Jamboree this year who were selling EBC Green Stuff brakes and now a range of air filters. Long story short the product appeared to be very good, but I have not heard a peep from them as they were going to get back to me about whether they could supply the exact replacement piece.

Not real happy about their service so far yet I think the product they had to offer had some potential. Will let the forum know how this progresses.
Old Sep 27, 2003, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Air filter evidence

Ok I am going to post up the light images.

I will firstly post an image which is the original filter from my car and the next posting will include the replacment RYCO A1311
Attached Thumbnails Lancer Airfilters, the facts........well as I found them-airfilter-test-resized-.jpg  
Old Sep 27, 2003, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

The RYCO

This filter is likely to have better dust retention, however it reduces flow considerably.

YOU are going to have to look extremely hard to even seen the outline of the pleats, they can be seen if screen is good as well as eyes. This was taken in a dark room as was the previous image.
Attached Thumbnails Lancer Airfilters, the facts........well as I found them-airfilter-test-resized-copy-1-.jpg  

Last edited by Raptor; Sep 27, 2003 at 03:19 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2003, 04:24 PM

Here's a link to my site which shows the stock filter against the K&N.

http://www.geocities.com/redavsmagna...kn_filter.html
Old Oct 6, 2003, 10:47 AM

Just wondered what to do to stop the power loss in cold climates in winter - - anyone????/