Notices

Evolution VIII in Australia

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2003, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evolution VIII in Australia

My father spoke to the Ralliart guy at Nundah Mitsubishi a couple of days ago and he said that the Evolution VIII should be here at the start of next year (2004) and cost $60,000 - $65,000 Australian dollars. It will be the full Japanese specification.

That isn't new, but this is (at least to me)...

He said he had already taken one order and told my father that if he wanted one he should put in an order in November/December.

My father has put his car for sale and is waiting to see what happens.

The Japanese specification Evolution VIII is on sale in New Zealand for about $65,000 Australian dollars (according to Mitsubishi New Zealand ). I am not sure if Australia has extra taxes or something (New Zealand has GST of 12.5% + I don't know, Australia has GST of 10% + stamp duty + other things).

Aston
Old Oct 3, 2003, 05:05 AM
Evolving Member

My father just put down a deposit on an Evolution VIII at Nundah Mitsubishi (Brisbane) with the conditions that it is white, Japanese specification, about $65,000, and that he gets a test drive.

Now he has to sell his car and get the $65,000 before it gets here.

I don't know what is happening with the car exactly, the salesman only had some print outs of the stuff on mitsubishi uk's website. No offical Ralliart Australia brochures or anything.

Has anyone else here put a deposit on an Evolution VIII in Australia?

Aston
Old Oct 3, 2003, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

tell him i'll pay him $1000 for a weekend in it
Old Oct 6, 2003, 02:21 AM
Evolving Member

$60 000 - $65 000 isn't to bad since you can pick up a EVO 7 for $75 000

Cheers
Old Oct 7, 2003, 12:34 AM

I have heard that we won't be getting jap spec , because our fuel is too poor. Rather euro spec with 195kw instead of 206 BUT it will have the AYC (i think). The euro spec is easier to comply to AUS standards than US and JAP, therefore they think they can get it under 65,000
Old Oct 7, 2003, 01:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by benny gsr
I have heard that we won't be getting jap spec , because our fuel is too poor. \
That sounds about right

Cheers
Old Oct 7, 2003, 01:44 AM
Evolved Member

budget *** government..

Although, when it comes to think of it.. Were better off having the Evo, then no Evo
Old Oct 7, 2003, 05:14 AM
Evolving Member

I don't know what you mean by euro spec but the UK spec has 206kw acording to the Mitsubishi UK - Evolution VIII website.

Australia did get the 206kw Evolution VI TME but you could be right. That is the reason my father put must be japanese spec on the contract when he gave them the deposit, just in case.

Aston
Old Oct 7, 2003, 06:59 AM

ok, according to This Site , Mitsubishi are planning on importing the european spec Evo VIII, which means 190+kw and AYC stability control and a 5 speed manual instead of the 6 speed in the Japanese car.
Old Oct 7, 2003, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

190kw + 5speed is the same as the US spec but the US spec has no AYC. Is the UK not considered Europe? The UK definately gets 206kw. So they have at least Jap spec, US spec, Euro spec and UK spec (including FQ300). Why are they making so many different specs, especialy when the US and Euro sound very similar except for AYC, surely that would cost Mitsubishi money?

Why would they detune the VIII when we got the full VI TME? Especially when New Zealand already has the Japanese spec VIII.

If Australia gets 190kw then it is what I was afraid of. Every magazine test I read on the TME it was in the top 3 in acceleration and fastest around a track. Most of the testers loved it and said they could put up with cheaper interior, harsh ride for the performance. One complaint I did read a lot was the low gearing with high rpm in 5th at 100km/h. Now they bring in a detuned version with the same 5speed? I thought there was susposed to be an "evolution" between these cars. This car should be heaps better than the VI because there was a VII in between.

Anyway, sometimes I wonder if Mitsubishi knows what it is doing.

Aston
Old Oct 7, 2003, 11:39 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry to say it but the Evo VIII will not be as fast as the VI, even if it is the full jap spec. The body is just not what it was previously (extra weight). What you will get is upgraded cabin and all the little goodies. It will be interesting what Mitsubishi do, as a while back the person who is incharge of bringing the vehicles in said he was not going to bring it in. Mitsubish Australia was pushing for it but he could not see the value. Now it is rather interesting that Mitsubishi Australia are going through with it.
Old Oct 7, 2003, 11:59 PM
Evolving Member

According to everyting I have read, including magazine tests and Mitsubishi's own brochures, the Japanese spec Evolution VIII is faster than the VI, around a track anyway. The Evolution VII was faster than the VI TME around a track, acording to the brochures, and the VIII is faster again.

Maybe the VIII wont have the straight line speed but it shouldn't be too far off. It is carrying extra weight but it has more torque and lower first gear (6spd).

Aston
Old Oct 8, 2003, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

Ralliart themselves know it is not as good, but not too much they can do about the body. Yes it has been tickled a little but realy it is much the same engine that has been with the Evolution all the way through. A friend of mine has 3 Evolution 7's sitting in the workshop but will not race them in the rallys as the 6 is a far better car. I know the 8 is a little different to the 7 but all in all unfortunately is far from what it once was. From driving the several 6's and the 7's I can see the difference. I cant wait to get into a Evo 8 and take it for a strap also just to compare, but from all the info I have seen they have not dealt with the problems.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 01:19 AM
Evolving Member

That wouldn't be the Shepheard's at GSA wholesale would it? Steven Shepheard showed us two or three VII's that he said they decided not to use for racing (I think he said they were going to sell them) when I was there last with my father.

But than that is comparing Evolution's after they have been built for racing not the standard VI versus the standard VIII. It could still be the same, I know that the VI was rated at 0-60mph in 4.6sec in UK (according to magazines) but the VIII is rated at 5.3sec. This is a big difference but I can't be sure the VI was that fast or the VIII that slow (relatively of course) when the FQ300 with only an exhaust is rated at 4.4sec.

Aston
Old Oct 8, 2003, 01:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by astondg
I know that the VI was rated at 0-60mph in 4.6sec in UK (according to magazines) but the VIII is rated at 5.3sec.
So you agree
Look dont get me wrong, if I was to buy a Evo now I would be hunting a Evo VIII also. For that price you can not complain.