Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

AMS One Lap of America Updates

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2005, 09:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well this is our first event but as far as not being able to build a well handling car isnt the case.

We have had some really really bad luck in the past few events and to be where we are in the standing is really a testament to the shop, crew and driver.

That black STi is set up nice but Kudos goes to the driver. He is driving the wheels off of that car. I saw him in action at IRP and dammit if it doesnt look like he is going to lose it in ever turn...but he doesnt. Its not a matter of AMS not knowing what we are doing but a matter of some pretty ****ty luck and some DAMN fine competitors out there.

Keep pulling guys. there is still alot of event left and some nice tracks that good ol John has some SERIOUS seat time on.

Eric
Old May 3, 2005, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cet_euro
As long as they come in first I really don't care. They need to come out in first. I just want them to win so bad. We need someone from Chicago to represent damn it!!!! Go AMS go....

The guys who own the 'truck' are from Chicago.
Old May 3, 2005, 10:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
Well this is our first event but as far as not being able to build a well handling car isnt the case.

We have had some really really bad luck in the past few events and to be where we are in the standing is really a testament to the shop, crew and driver.

That black STi is set up nice but Kudos goes to the driver. He is driving the wheels off of that car. I saw him in action at IRP and dammit if it doesnt look like he is going to lose it in ever turn...but he doesnt. Its not a matter of AMS not knowing what we are doing but a matter of some pretty ****ty luck and some DAMN fine competitors out there.

Keep pulling guys. there is still alot of event left and some nice tracks that good ol John has some SERIOUS seat time on.

Eric
Sorta’ like Ludikraut said…It's hard for EVOm members who just do the occasional track day/autocross to imagine how fast and prepared the top 7 (or so) cars are. Several of the competitors run each track on the event in the weeks before the event. They fly in or trailer the car to each track and test then move on to the next one.

The other thing is that the cars aren’t stock. You say a modded EVO can beat a Viper or a TT Porsche people just forget or don't realize that the Viper and Porsche are completely decked out and tested, being piloted by a very seasoned, quick often pro driver. For Example Ron Adee’s “truck” weighs less than the EVO (by a bunch) has 345 tires all the way around and 750hp. It also has a full tube chassis (think Craftsman Truck) with a Viper independent rear suspension and has been developed for a couple of years and is driven by a two-time overall winner.

It's not like a track day when you blow by a GT2 a Lambo and a F360 in you're lightly modded EVO and call it a good day (It is a good day BTW!)

Finally the format is very unforgiving. Every lap you do is timed (and counts) NO warm up, no practice and the point are structured so that if you have a bad event of miss one you have very little chance of making it up. So the pressure is very high for the team and especially the driver, then factor in the fatigue...

Lets see what they (AMS) can do when they get to some familiar ground
Old May 3, 2005, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UFO
Kinda ironic that an Evo, a car world renowned for its handling abilities, is depending on a drag race in order to move up the leader board. I have much respect for AMS but it seems they either underestimated the competition or just aren't that good building a decent handling car.
Sounds like someone who hasn't ever competed in One Lap before

Preparing for and doing well in this event isn't like preparing for and doing well in a drag race or an autox. In those events, you only have to keep your car perfectly functional for those 10-50 seconds between runs. You have essentially all the time in the world to make sure that your car is running perfectly (or close to it) when you stage and your only concern is keeping it running like that for the next several seconds. It can be exciting and thrilling but it's not nearly the same technical, mechanical and emotional challenge as One Lap which is completely unforgiving in ciomparison.

The ideal One Lap car is awfully fast, starts up every time, never misses a beat over thousands of miles, is confortable enough for you to live in for a week and handles intuitively enough that a good driver can be fast in it right out of the gate, in his first hot lap of the track. How many of you can say that about your cars?

Any car will run into problems at One Lap that they would never otherwise see. Heck, not only did our exhaust manifold bolts loosened themselves completely by the end of the event, the bushings on our driveshaft also deteriorated. Oh yeah, and the mainshaft in our transmission bent during one of the 16 dragstrip launches during that week of hell.

Before anyone thows any stones at AMS for the problems they have run into, I suggest you try it first and see how well you would do. There's a reason that most tuners get scared from competing in One Lap. Hats off to AMS for running what they brung, paying the $$, doing the prep and taking a week out of their time so that we can all benefit from learning more about our cars. Win or lose, they will have walked away with more knowledge than one can garner from any internet forum

Cheers,
shiv
Old May 3, 2005, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

AMS is already showing a good run.. GOOD LUCK AMS!!!!!
Old May 3, 2005, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Well, FWIW, I am really hoping that Jon will be able to pull off an overall victory at one of the tracks that he is familiar with.

Here's to exorcising the gremlins that are plaguing them!!

l8r)
Old May 3, 2005, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

I have been around the track a few times at Roebling with JonK in my Evo. The guy is moving to territory he knows. There has been some bad luck, but they are going to do well. I know AMS has one hell of a car and one hell of a driver. So as Shiv said, if you have never run the event,do not post about how you can do it better. Enter a car, run it and see how you do. Please keep the internet fanboy stuff in the other forums.
Old May 3, 2005, 11:40 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Greyman09
I have been around the track a few times at Roebling with JonK in my Evo. The guy is moving to territory he knows. There has been some bad luck, but they are going to do well. I know AMS has one hell of a car and one hell of a driver. So as Shiv said, if you have never run the event,do not post about how you can do it better. Enter a car, run it and see how you do. Please keep the internet fanboy stuff in the other forums.
Please point out where I said I could do better. I'm pretty sure my close to stock Evo would be firmly implanted in the wall on the first lap. Exactly who am I a fan boy of? As I said, I have nothing but respect for AMS. Reading comprehension is obviously not your forte. As for Shiv's 'expert' opinion, well, l'll leave that alone.
Old May 3, 2005, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Originally Posted by UFO
Kinda ironic that an Evo, a car world renowned for its handling abilities, is depending on a drag race in order to move up the leader board. I have much respect for AMS but it seems they either underestimated the competition or just aren't that good building a decent handling car.
You shouldn't be so quick to show your ignorance. Sometimes it's better to keep us guessing.
Old May 3, 2005, 12:12 PM
dwx

Well apparently the leading STI of Luke Russel crashed today at VIR and it is looking bleak for him continuing. He is fine but the car is pretty banged up from early reports.

http://65.75.164.80/onelap/2005/day04/video/td04v02.wmv <-- video of the crash.

Rear end of the car got airborne coming into a turn and he went off and then couldn't get the car slowed down. Very lucky to come out of the incident with no injuries, imho.

If Luke can't continue, AMS has to at least pass the SRT-4... for the good of all us AWD drivers.
Old May 3, 2005, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dwx
Well apparently the leading STI of Luke Russel crashed today at VIR and it is looking bleak for him continuing. He is fine but the car is pretty banged up from early reports.

Rear end of the car got airborne coming into a turn and he went off and then couldn't get the car slowed down. Very lucky to come out of the incident with no injuries, imho.

If Luke can't continue, AMS has to at least pass the SRT-4... for the good of all us AWD drivers.
Damn, that was f***ed up! I hate to see anyone biting the dust like that. Glad to hear the driver is ok and I hope they can get their car patched up. As much as I'm rooting for AMS to take their class, I gotta root for fellow AWD sedans as well... What we really need is a 1-2 finish overall for the rally cars (Evo taking 1st, of course ).

l8r)
Old May 3, 2005, 12:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yeah we got word from martin earlier on today regarding this. I am glad to see he is ok. Guy is one hell of a driver and was really pusing that thing to the brink

Eric
Old May 3, 2005, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Ouch... Thats a painful looking crash. Could have been much worse though.
Old May 3, 2005, 12:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by dwx

Daymn! That sucked! Looks like he landed a little crossed up and put two wheels in the dirt which probbably make the ABS go haywire and had virtually no braking. That must have been a hairy ride. Glad/hope he is indeed ok.

That's what's tricky about One Lap (like we've been talking about), no practice, you have to throw down from the word go (which leaves you prone to mistakes that you wouldn't normally make). You never know, I've seen cars worse than that re-enter but by now he has lost too many points to win his class

BTW I think that's Summit Point's new Shenandoah Circuit not VIR

Last edited by chronohunter; May 3, 2005 at 12:59 PM.
Old May 3, 2005, 12:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by UFO
As for Shiv's 'expert' opinion, well, l'll leave that alone.
I think he qualifies (I was there), you don't think so? Let's leave politics out of what has been a great bi-partisan thread, ok?

Quick Reply: AMS One Lap of America Updates