Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

AMS One Lap of America Updates

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2005, 01:01 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is AMS doing in all this. Are they moving up the standings?
Old May 3, 2005, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

That track isn't VIR, I think they were scheduled for Sumit Point today. If he got airborne on a race track, he was carrying some serious speed.

This accident underscores what others have said about how hard it is to do well in this event. One mistake or mechanical problem kills your chances of a good finish. Plus, the scoring system awards points for place not time. So if our Evo runs a 10.4 1/4 mile and the Subie a 12.5, but is the next fastest right after the Evo, our guy only makes up 5 points (out of a possible 460 or something) against the Sti. Plus the only opportunity people have to fix things that break is what little time is left over for sleep after driving to and at the event, which can affect the on track performance of the driver.

Apart from the AMS Evo, for me it has been fun to watch my auto-x buddy, Danny Popp, kicking serious butt in his Z06 (He's in 3rd overall), even though he does not road race or do track days and has never driven any of the tracks they are running.
Old May 3, 2005, 01:08 PM
dwx

Ahh yeah my mistake, they were running a new configuration track at Summit Point today I believe.
Old May 3, 2005, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

So few here have any idea what it takes to prep a winning car at this level of motorsports. And for those lucky few here, and you know who you are, we don't have the budgets to do it the way it should be done .

Most teams build cars over years to compete in this event, going through LOTS of dollars, and many revisions. For AMS to go out and be in the top five in class is a testament to them, their equipment, and to their driver.

So, rather questioning their position, why not stand behind the ONLY freakin Evo team out there? They are making the good fight in this event. I can assure you they are looked down on enough, because they are in an big winged, four-door, Japenese 'sporty' car, which is for kids who don't know the difference between NO5 and NAAAAWWWSSS.

So, win or lose, thank AMS for doing their part, representing you and me as Evo owners, making a presence felt in the world of motorsports.

Last edited by Stop&TurnFreak; May 3, 2005 at 04:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old May 3, 2005, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Understood...well cept for that NO5 part

Originally Posted by Stop&TurnFreak
So, few here have any idea what it takes to prep a winning car at this level of motorsports. And for those lucky few here, and you know who you are, we don't have the budgets to do it the way it should be done .

Most teams build cars over years to compete in this event, going through LOTS of dollars, and many revisions. For AMS to go out and be in the top five in class is a testament to them, their equipment, and to their driver.

So, rather questioning their position, why not stand behind the ONLY freakin Evo team out there? They are making the good fight in this event. I can assure you they are looked down on enough, because they are in an big winged, four-door, Japenese 'sporty' car, which is for kids who don't know the difference between NO5 and NAAAAWWWSSS.

So, win or lose, thank AMS for doing their part, representing you and me as Evo owners, making a presence felt in the world of motorsports.
Old May 3, 2005, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

God Bless AMS for doing what I have not the time, budget, knowhow or ***** to do myself.

This being AFAIK AMS's first foray into open track motorsports, I applaud them for their efforts and at the end of the day, they're learning a lot out there. Good for them!

Joe
Rally Wannabe
Old May 3, 2005, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4G63>OOOO
God Bless AMS for doing what I have not the time, budget, knowhow or ***** to do myself.

This being AFAIK AMS's first foray into open track motorsports, I applaud them for their efforts and at the end of the day, they're learning a lot out there. Good for them!

Joe
Rally Wannabe
Here! Here! I second the motion
Old May 3, 2005, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

Any videos of AMS in One Lap?
Old May 3, 2005, 06:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Wow that was one hell of a ride............ Good thing it stayed shiney side up. That could have been so much worse.
Old May 3, 2005, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chronohunter

BTW I think that's Summit Point's new Shenandoah Circuit not VIR

holy crap you are scaring the **** out of me.. i have a 3 days track event in the end of the month on that track... Hope I wont crash
Old May 3, 2005, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CincyEvo
Apart from the AMS Evo, for me it has been fun to watch my auto-x buddy, Danny Popp, kicking serious butt in his Z06 (He's in 3rd overall), even though he does not road race or do track days and has never driven any of the tracks they are running.

I was wondering where Danny was, we missed him at the regional auto-x event on Sunday. That is outstanding that he is doing so well. Many congrats to Danny and all of the guys at AMS. I wish I could run (or even help out) that event some day.
Old May 3, 2005, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cet_euro
How is AMS doing in all this. Are they moving up the standings?
As of my post time they are 9th overall and 5 points behind 1st place in the class

They ran the second fastest 1/4 today at mason dixon: 11.676
Old May 3, 2005, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
According to here, http://www.onelapofamerica.com/ , they are 7th overall and 1st in class by 10 points.
Old May 3, 2005, 08:03 PM

Correct. That's Shenandoah. Not VIR.

Martin gave me a call about an hour ago and I got the low down on the day's events. Jon's getting more and more comfortable in the car, which is evident in the lap times he's putting down. On the road course today, he laid down the 7th best times overall (which is pretty impressive considering the competition). The car is still too undersprung for him, but they're definitely getting it more and more dialed in the more laps they put on it. The new manual boost controller held boost rock steady at 16psi throughout the road course event, and the car ran really well with no ill effects from yesterday's freeze plug ejecting fun.

As for the drag strip today, they were running 25psi on the first run. Jon was driving, and he bogged the launch to a 2.2 60'. He still ran 11.6 @ 126. You do the math with a decent launch.

The second run was some sort of bracket setup. He was running against a Honda, and Jon has very limited drag racing experience. He wasn't quite used to the bracket tree. [Smile] The second run with another bogged launch was an 11.75 (at only 22psi) @ 125 or so.

The car obviously has really low 11s in it with a decent launch. It would have been cool to take the drag event though!! Martin, Jon, and Ray were enjoying the first decent meal they can remember, and then heading off to rack up some more highway miles en route to the next event.

Needless to say, they're having a blast. More updates to come as I get them.
Old May 3, 2005, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by robertrinaustin
According to here, http://www.onelapofamerica.com/ , they are 7th overall and 1st in class by 10 points.
They are 7th overall, but they are 2nd in class, 15 points behind the SRT-4.

-Paul

Quick Reply: AMS One Lap of America Updates