Notices
Automotosports - Illinois Automotosports is a Chicago based tuner specializing in 4G63T performance. With an in-house fabrication facility and engineers on staff, they will be bringing you the best in Lancer Evolution parts.

AMS / AMSOIL Sponsored boomn29 - Double NASA TTB wins & Track Record @ BlackHawk!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2009, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMS / AMSOIL Sponsored boomn29 - Double NASA TTB wins & Track Record @ BlackHawk!

First trip ever to BlackHawk Farms Raceway in South Beloit, IL. Event started out rainy, ended with a heat index of around 105! I ended up with wins both days in TTB and slaughtered the class record by about 5 seconds!

I'd like to say thanks to AMS Performance for an awesome tune that held up under the grueling conditions. I'd also like to extend a formal welcome to AMSOIL as they are now officially helping to support my car as well. I ran their engine oil and brake fluid for this event. I was extremely impressed with the AMSOIL brake fluid! Also thanks to Hawk Brake and Hoosier tires for their generosity towards NASA.

Friday:
Drove up to BlackHawk Farms Raceway in South Beloit, IL. After about 6 hours of travel, I met up with a few track friends and set up to camp. Big thanks to Trevor for securing a nice paddock spot and for walking most of the track with me before dark.

Saturday:
Lots of rain and lightning on race day meant a delay to the start. The first session was downpour filled and I had nothing but Hoosier's. I ended up with just 2 dry sessions after lunch to fire out a lap. Unfortunately I had to start from the rear of the grid since my only posted time sucked (R6's on a damp track from earlier in the day). So passing basically 10-15 cars in 8 laps I was able to squeeze out a 1:22.5 which actually broke the class record. The next and last session of the day I got in some clean laps and posted a 1:21.1 and took the TTB win and better the class record.
Finished 1st of three in my group and 5th fastest of 19 total in TT including ahead of several cars in higher classes.

Sunday:
Aided by brand new stickered R6's, a small suspension tweak and my 2nd day of running this brand new track I ended up with a 1:19.3 to win TTB again and bettered the class record!
Finished 1st of three in my group and 6th fastest of 22 total in TT including ahead of several cars in higher classes.

Got video ready.

Mostly vid from early sessions on Sunday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXfhOV83G7Q

Last edited by boomn29; Aug 11, 2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 02:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awesome man, very awesome
Old Aug 10, 2009, 03:12 AM
Evolved Member

BHF is a good time for sure, I would like to make it there sometime this year yet.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Kind of an OT question but how adequate has the stock fmic been for you on the road course? That is really the only major part I have yet to upgrade as far as bolt ons go. Curious if you log IAT's at all?

But congrats on the win and obviously very good driving.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dbsears
Kind of an OT question but how adequate has the stock fmic been for you on the road course? That is really the only major part I have yet to upgrade as far as bolt ons go. Curious if you log IAT's at all?

But congrats on the win and obviously very good driving.
Honestly, I miss my AMS FMIC I had previously. That and the AMS LICP really helped out the power band and throttle response. But, I had to shed some mods to slide into TTB this year and that's part of what had to go back to stock. I had to relearn how to drive the car through corners with the different powerband this year. It's also kinda sad watching the boost gauge fall during shifts and slowly come back up to boost whereas before it was so much more instant. I also miss the menacing look it created from the front!

I have before and after dynographs from 2006/2007 on just the AMS FMIC and an MBC if you're interested. Back in late 2006 I was experiencing a lot of heatsoak on the stock FMIC and only holding 14psi at redline in the dead of summer at Gateway where I'd short-shift to 5th and hold it for probably 10+ seconds through the oval. That sucked!

Oh, and thx man I appreciate it.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great job Nate!!!!!! You are kicking *** and taking names this year!

Eric
Old Aug 10, 2009, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports

Eric
Thanks Eric. It was really amazing to spend the whole weekend on a brand new track under both rain and 105+ heat index and never having to open up the tool box. Well, I did tighten down an exhaust clamp; but hey - it might have been faster w/o that muffler!
Old Aug 10, 2009, 03:11 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by boomn29
Thanks Eric. It was really amazing to spend the whole weekend on a brand new track under both rain and 105+ heat index and never having to open up the tool box. Well, I did tighten down an exhaust clamp; but hey - it might have been faster w/o that muffler!
You are doing good with everything.

keep up the good work
Old Aug 10, 2009, 03:41 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports

Eric
Erick

Lets see if soon enough we will see Nate have an AMS built monster.

HINT HINT !
Old Aug 11, 2009, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apagan01
Erick

Lets see if soon enough we will see Nate have an AMS built monster.

HINT HINT !
That's be super yummy. I'm already debating what direction to go for next year...

Btw; got video ready.

Mostly vid from early on Sunday. I pretty much had my lines down by then, and later made some suspension and tire pressure changes to run about 1.2 faster than the first lap in the vid here:

Old Aug 11, 2009, 02:13 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by boomn29
That's be super yummy. I'm already debating what direction to go for next year...

Btw; got video ready.

Mostly vid from early on Sunday. I pretty much had my lines down by then, and later made some suspension and tire pressure changes to run about 1.2 faster than the first lap in the vid here:

AMSOIL dominator 10W30 being used while runing in that video
Old Aug 11, 2009, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Hey good job Nathan! Once again I came unprepared..... oh well.. 2nd record in a row buddy!!
Old Aug 11, 2009, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hamflex
Hey good job Nathan! Once again I came unprepared..... oh well.. 2nd record in a row buddy!!
I offered you a set of tires!

Talk about unprepared... I came without my rain/street tires and w/o a helmet!
Old Aug 11, 2009, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

haha, thanks again! But like you said 16 heat cycles..... was not gunna set the world on fire. Or stop that vettes brand new 315 A6's. Oh well I scared him enough in qualifying to through new tires on at least! LOL
Old Aug 12, 2009, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hamflex
haha, thanks again! But like you said 16 heat cycles..... was not gunna set the world on fire. Or stop that vettes brand new 315 A6's. Oh well I scared him enough in qualifying to through new tires on at least! LOL
I think you can get him with good tires; especially at a track he's not spent years and years on. I doubt he's been to Miller.

Btw; I think I seen 335's on the rears of that crazy aero'd Corvette of his.