Notices

06 IX MR owner moving to Toronto/Bowmanville Area, problems?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2005, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 IX MR owner moving to Toronto/Bowmanville Area, problems?

Hey guys, well I should be trading in my g35 coupe for the 06 MR I have arriving at a dealership from Utah in the next week. However, I will likely be attending the Bridgestone Racing Academy's mechanics course at Mosport International. It begins in March and I am rather sure I will be making the move somewhere around the middle of January. Anyway, I've been reading the forums here and I see the Evo isn't even sold in Canada?? Im hoping this wont result in me not being able to drive my evo or catching a lot of flack even?? It would really ruin the experience of my new car if it wasn't even road legal in Canada

Last edited by johntuki; Oct 21, 2005 at 10:44 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2005, 08:26 AM
i45
Evolving Member

If it is registered/insured in the United States, you should not have a problem with driving it up to 6 months. (I believe.. can someone else confirm? I was told this by my cousins' friend who did the same, drove from the US, stayed in Canada for 4 months, and went back.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 06:08 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

^ True, you can leave your US plates for 6months. After that you will have to register is to a US aderess and cross the boarder a minimum of every 6 months.
Old Oct 24, 2005, 02:50 PM

Thanks for the help, I know the course itself is 8 months and I was actually debating on sticking around for the University of Toronto so I guess I'll just have to cross the border every once in a while. I just got word they will be trucking the car to me Thursday morning, I am pretty excited.
Old Oct 25, 2005, 07:34 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

As long as your perminate aderess is in the states you should be fine I believe.
Old Oct 27, 2005, 03:03 PM

if you're staying here long-term on say a work or student visa, you can keep the car in Canada for as long as your visa is valid...if you move here perminantly, I think you can keep it here for 12 months
Old Nov 1, 2005, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

i have the same issue..i am looking to move to calgary in 7 months but i am staying perm. What do i need to do to have CA insurance or should i keep mine here? How much would it cost to keep and renew it from the US every so often? Think US interest will jump because of this?
Old Nov 1, 2005, 11:30 AM

I talked to my insurance company a few days ago and they told me that they would charge me more to cover me while I am in Canada, you should probably give them a call. I am not entirely sure if we can insure our evo's via a Canadian company, but I think that "Importing an Evo into Canada" thread might have some answers...I just dont wanna read 300 pages. haha
Old Nov 1, 2005, 11:34 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

that thread is about 3 pages of fact and the rest is just people ranting. I will edit it soon though.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by johntuki
I will likely be attending the Bridgestone Racing Academy's mechanics course at Mosport International.
You have nothing to worry about. I'm a US citizen and I spent the last 5 years in Montreal, Quebec with a tempoorary work permit and student visa. I've driven my 2003 Evo 8 in Canada for almost 2 years with NJ plates.

As long as you are a legal US resident and the Evo is registered, plated, and insured in the US, then you can keep the car in Canada for up to 24 months. From the last time I looked at the laws, I seem to recall that the car should make an exit at least every 3 or 6 months (but I could be wrong about that). That's the only thing you'll need to check.

In any case, you don't need to worry.

Emre

P.S. - I hope you're not a wall-flower type! The Evo always generates a TON of interest. Everywhere you go, people will be stopping you to ask about it and stupid kids will always be trying to race you. But then again, things might have settled down a bit by now. When I bought my car in 2003, Evos were new in North America and I couldn't drive 2 blocks without someone flagging me down to drool on the car!
Old Nov 14, 2005, 03:38 AM

So far I have noticed it manages to grab some attention around town, but I think mostly because people around here think it's just a ricer (massive wing). I have had a few try to race me but that kind of thing should be done on a track, and I dont mind people ogling as long as they are attractive
Old Nov 14, 2005, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by johntuki
So far I have noticed it manages to grab some attention around town...
Are you already in Canada? I thought you weren't making the move until January. How are you liking Mosport? It's one of my favorite tracks!

Emre
Old Nov 14, 2005, 03:32 PM

Oh no, Im just talking about it grabbing attention here in MS and around Memphis. I always forget it will be somewhat of an oddity while I am in Canada, should be fun.