Notices

Canadians! Please help me choose a ski resort around Toronto..

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadians! Please help me choose a ski resort around Toronto..

So what is the real deal around ski resorts around Toronto? Me and my friends are going there from December 26th and want to stay at a resort for two days snowboarding and whatnot. Please help me out! Thanks to all those who help
Old Dec 4, 2006, 06:00 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Check out Horseshoe Valley or Blue Mountain. Blue Mountain being you best bet. It is about an hour and a half outside of toronto. Let me know when your planning on coming up.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for moving the thread Danno!

Ok Blue Mountain it is, because that is where we were looking at and you say it's the best Any other opinions will be appreciated too. We will most likely plan this out this week.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 06:57 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Well its certinatly the best place with accomidations and a night life. They also have the most trails. As far as best snow conditions and best terrain park it would be Mt. St. Louis / Moonstone. But if you wen't there you would have to stay in Barrie (30 minutes away).

As of right now I'm not sure who is open yet, it hasnt been cold enough to make snow untill this week. It will problaby be christmas or just after before anoyone has decent conditions.
Old Dec 4, 2006, 04:38 PM

I would also go with Blue Mountain if I were you, but remember it's not the Rockies or anything
Old Dec 4, 2006, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

I think Blue Mountain is more than enough for us. I grew up in the Midwest where the "best" ski resort around has a slope of 450ft vertical. The friends I am going with are Indonesian, one of them being my best friend who first ski'd two years ago, another being his girlfriend who just saw snow for the first time. His gf's older sister is a good snowboarder tho, cause she has been going to school in Vancouver. We average out to be newbish

Btw, we will also be in Toronto. What should we do there?
Old Dec 5, 2006, 06:31 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Pm
Old Dec 17, 2006, 03:59 PM
Evolving Member

bluemountain's conditions tend to suck for experienced skiers who like a nice ride, whereas mount st louis or horseshoe have much better conditions, but as Danno said, as for accomodations and night life, blue is the way to go. horseshoe has nice accomodations, but little to no nightlife.

as a side note, myself and a bunch of friends are renting a chalet at blue for new year's weekend, so if you're still in the area we can all hook up for skiing/boarding.

as for things to do in Toronto, the CN tower downtown is one of the biggest tourist attractions, there are also a lot of dinner/theatre things to do in the city. for nightlife/clubbing you can never go wrong with all the places on richmond street downtown. you can rent skates and go skating at nathan philips square right out front of the toronto city hall if you like. shopping either at one of the big malls or there are a ton of really nice high-end designer shops up at yonge and bloor. that list should keep you busy for a while!!
Old Dec 17, 2006, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Danno, got your PM, but I deleted it on accident! Had your msn right? I'd like to chat still cause we still havent reserved anything

Dr Crash,

That's some good info! Ive been skiing AROUND THE MIDWEST my whole life. In no way, shape, or form am I an "experienced" snowboarder. As for conditions, how different it Blue Mountain from Mount St Louis or Horseshoe? Im used to crappy conditions (sometimes icy, sometimes wet snow, etc) as thats basically what it is like here.

And for Toronto, thanks for that list of things to do! We aren't sure if we should stay at Niagara Falls (cheaper, closer to home since we are driving back to Chicago the next morning) or Toronto (more expensive, but sounds like there will be more to do). We are going to spend 3 nights at the ski resort, and one somewhere else. What do you think is best?
Old Dec 18, 2006, 06:23 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Well as of right now I would hold off on your trip, no resorts are open and it doesnt look to good for them opening soon. The weather has been way too warm to make any snow. There were a couple of resorts open for 1 weekend but that was it.

I will re-send it to you.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 11:25 AM
Evolving Member

ya that's very true that with the 15 degree C weather there might not be any snow for the weekend

the problem i find with blue is that all of the slopes are on the same side of the mountain, so if there is 1 crappy slope then ALL of them are. whereas louis or horseshoe have slopes facing different directions so u can almost always find good conditions on at least one.

if you are driving back to Chi-town then it's probably actually faster to NOT stay in niagara falls, since when i drove through, the fastest way was to go straight west and cross at grand bend rather than crossing at the falls. but the falls is nice to see as well, so for touristic purposes i would probably include them in the trip however you can!
Old Dec 18, 2006, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
You should come out west where the real skiing is. I went to Sunshine yesterday and it was awesome, about -15, powder everywhere, little to no waiting for a lift, perfect.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

thanks guys..we are staying at Blue Mountain from the 26th to the 29th so HOPEFULLY, it'll cool down so we can snowboard a bit. The reason we're going to the Toronto area is that it's the closest around here (about 9 hours to drive there from Chicago), there's good food there, and I heard it's a nice city! We're probably not going to Niagara, since some of us have been there and it does lengthen our drive back. Although there is something about Niagara Falls that is so relaxing

Is Sunshine around Calgary? I'd LOVE to snowboard in powder snow sometime..not on ice or big chunks of snow...that trip will have to wait for next time tho

Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it.

Danno, i added u on MSN.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
There are like 4 ski resorts within 2 hours of Calgary, Sunshine is like an hour away, same with Fortress and Nakiska and Lake Louise is about 2 hours away. We also have a hill within the city called COP (Canada Olympic Park, where they held some of the olympic events).
Old Dec 19, 2006, 07:01 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

^ I'm flying into Calgary in Feb. I will be spending my first night in Cal. then driving to Panorama and staying 3 nights there, then one night at kickinghorse and then one night in Calgary. I can't wait...kicking horse is hands down the best lift accessable resort in Canada for free riding.

Quick Reply: Canadians! Please help me choose a ski resort around Toronto..