Notices

I hit a curb...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2008, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hit a curb...

:EDIT: I realized my post is really long, so ill summarize my rant below:
i hit a curb in a parking lot (stopped on top of the "sidewalk") in snow on my front left tire, no visual damage, however car is making knocking sound when driven (frequency of knocking increases w/ speed) however it does not knock when the car is accelerating or braking. Does anyone know what the sound might be from? also can anyone comment on the service at KW mitsu?

thnx
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.. and for those who have time to read my full post:

hey guys, i parked my car at rim park in waterloo, and a week ago it was snowing hard, and they trucks hadnt cleared the parking lot yet so i hit a curb on the way out (trying to clear a path for myself )

so anyways I was driving out and i suddenly i hear a loud thump (i knew that my front left tire went up on the curb, my front right tire didnt hit anything), i stopped the car immediately and checked the front bumper, luckily no damage, and it didnt look like there was any damage to the rim either.

ok so i thought everything was fine and i drove the car to school every other day, and a this week ive been noticing more and more that theres this *knocking* sound coming from my front left wheel well... i checked the car from the hood and also from the wheel and there doesnt seem to to be any visible damage

i dunno what the sound is, it sounds like my tire has a piece of ice stuck to it, and everytime it goes a full circle it bumps my car, (the faster i drive the faster the frequency of the noise)

the funny thing is there is no noise whenever i accellerate or brake, its only when i am coasting, that the bumping is heard. Im assuming its the alignmment thats messed up, some of my friends say that my rim might be bent too? does anyone have experience or know why the car might be diong that?

at first i thought i could drive the car back to toronto to get it checked up after exams, but now its gone to the point that its so loud and annoying i dont think its safe so im brining it to the Kitchener-waterloo mitsu to check it out. does anyone live in the waterloo area and know anything of the service there? does it suck too @__@

hopefully thing wrong with my car, im probably going to drive it in to get fixxed next week, seeing as how im swamped with exams and have no time to fix it, but im just kind of anxious cus i dunno whats wrong with my car and im scared i might have messed up something expensive hopefully its just a loose bolt or something

anyways if anyone has any similar experience or knows enough about cars that can give me an educated guess on whats wrong with my car, id really appreciate it~

thanks guys,
safe driving ^^

Last edited by three29; Dec 10, 2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 07:37 PM

My suspension been weird lately each time I go over a bump it makes a grinding sound >> damn snow or somthing but keep in mind it's 05 ralli probly bring to mitsu to find out what happening.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

hitting a curb can easily bend a wheel. some place like NTB could easily check out your wheel and suspension
Old Dec 11, 2008, 11:52 AM

i've driven on two cars with bent wheels. i did not get the problem you mentioned. Bent wheels normally vibrate slightly when travelling at high speeds on the highway (i feel it starting at 140KM) on my rsx type S. but none of the symptoms that you mentioned. Just go get it checked by a good mechanic, it doesnt sound too serious
Old Dec 11, 2008, 02:53 PM

hey guys i got it check out.. turns out when i got my tires switched to winter tires my nuts were bolted on tight enough, so the had to replace 2 of them (one fell off prob as i drove to the dealership) and another they said was worn

altogether, they inspected and retightened all nuts on my car, replaced two of them, did a 3 point check and did a wash. this adds up to 1 hour labor and total of $140.80.

...kinda regret going to the dealership, if i knew that the only thing wrong with my car was loose bolts i would have just bought a god damn quality torque wrench at canadian tire and replaced it myself.

anyways problem is solved, i cant get my 140 back and i guess that just goes with owning a car

they did also mention that itd be a good idea to get some centering rings for my car since it is aftermarket rims~ did anyone get those for their car and/or recommend it? for $40 i dunno if its worth it
Old Dec 11, 2008, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

that sucks
Old Dec 11, 2008, 02:58 PM

ouch 140, 20 is more like it.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

if u got'em swapped @ the dealer and it wasnt tight enuff i wud have probably yelled @ the dealer and tell them to cover it for u for free and as for like iunno 2 free oil changes or sumthing or threaten them w/ a lawsuit cuz its a safety issue..what if ur wheel falls off while ur driving? then ur good as dead
Old Dec 12, 2008, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by three29

anyways problem is solved, i cant get my 140 back and i guess that just goes with owning a car
call Mitsubishi Canada.. speak to Alana... she'll deal with it. just tell her the situation.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Hubcentric rims are always a good idea if one's car is outfitted with generic aftermarket rims. By generic, I mean not inherently hubcentric.

More expensive rims tend to have a CB spec that matches a car.

With generic rims, if the CB value is off enough, it could lead to premature stud or bolt failure as there isn't just a load along the axis of the bolt but also a bending load... which is not good. If it's subjected to a big hit (ie. pothole), something bad could happen. I haven't heard of any stories myself but I guess it could happen.

Materials also play a part. If you're on stock steel studs and steel lugnuts then you're probably less susceptible than someone who is rocking aftermarket studs and lugnuts. Steel bends whereas aluminium shears.