Notices

cheapie mud guards from Canadian Tire

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2009, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cheapie mud guards from Canadian Tire

Saw the Lancer OEM rear mud guards...wow $85 for just the rear
I went to Canadian Tire and bought the cheapie $15 mud guards ( a bit thinner then the Lancer ones) and they're not too bad looking, and they do the job of stoping debris from being kicked up.
Got the idea from someone in the EVOX forum.
I prefer the more subtle look over the Rally Armour ones (as much as I use to follow WRC, I'm not a big fan of the large mud guard look for my DD). The price of the Rally Armour ones are a bit outrageous for what
it is...a piece of rubber! Only issue is that the OEM guards come with plastic fasteners that are longer to fit the added thickness of the guards. I ended up using a zip tie cause the old fasteners
are too short (still trying to source similar ones, so far no luck with Cantire, Part Source, Carquest). For $15 they actually look pretty good as they flow with the rear bumper curve, much more
subtle. Will try and post a good side picture.
Attached Thumbnails cheapie mud guards from Canadian Tire-img_3780.jpg  

Last edited by GTE28; Apr 28, 2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 05:26 PM

so you got them for all 4 wheels or only for the rear? and how did you use the zip ties? DIY! lol
Old May 1, 2009, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

Its $15 for just the pair (same from Canadian Tire or Walmart), supposedly the same ones for front and rear, but on the front there is a gap created because of the way the wheel well plastic is shaped. I haven't had a chance to tackle that yet.
The fit on the rear is nice and flush.

Where the rear guards are mounted, there is already 2 plastic fasteners, the 2-piece type where you push the plug piece though and then you push another piece through the center that expands the prongs. The fasteners are securing your rear bumper to the inner wheel well plastic piece, via two square holes. The reason I had to use a zip tie is because the fasteners are too short to go through the mud guard and then both the bumper and wheel well plastic. I can't find any similar fasteners anywhere...Candian tire/Parts Source/Car Quest/dealer...none. The OEM guards come with longer fasteners but they can't be order through the dealer. Will try the internet.

The only other difficult part is to get the hole locations on the mud guards. What I did was dab a drop of liquid paper onto the 2 fasteners heads, then quickly placed the guards over them , leaving a white mark on the back side of the guard to drill 2 holes. I found the best way to position the guards was to push the side of the guards against the bumper (guards flex quite a bit), then raise the guards up, then move the guards in a rearward direction over the plastic fasteners. This way the liquid paper didn't smudge onto the guards, and just left a nice white dot. The trick is to repeat this procedure on the other side and to get the same position. I've gotta loosen one of the zip ties and reposition the guards a bit to match the other side. Not a big deal.

The zip tie is a bit ghetto style but its the easiest solution till I can locate some similar fasteners.
These cheapie guards actually extend lower then the OEM ones.
Attached Thumbnails cheapie mud guards from Canadian Tire-img_3787_mod.jpg  
Old Oct 31, 2010, 07:03 PM
jdc

could you post a pic of the front guards installed?
Old Nov 6, 2010, 11:25 PM

Doesn't look too shabby. Good find, i'll probably have to pick a pair of these up.