Notices

Quebec area Evo IX owner

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2009, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah Carl, just register for DSMquebec I can vouch for you. A lot of knowledge on this site and numerous 10 second street cars.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 07:11 AM

Polo, no problem! Let me know when you find the car you want. There is a guy in Victoriaville selling medium mileage 8's that are already SAAQ certified, but they are all around 25k for 2003's. Take a look in the FS section on evom, and narrow yourself down to the NY state cars. You will have no problem driving down and back up, so no shipping headaches, and as previoiusly stated, you get to take advantage of the NY yearly inspection which is a very good thing considering the evo 8 is now 7 years old, and you want to make sure that the low-mileage is certified.

Also, try on Cars.com, and use 12919 as the zip code, it is for Champlain NY, which borders with Lacolle QC, you can get a good idea of how far the car is from home. Same thing goes with traderonline.com, etc.

I will join dsmquebec live under the same name, fasterbater.

Cheers!

Phil
Old Dec 6, 2009, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fasterbater
Polo, no problem! Let me know when you find the car you want. There is a guy in Victoriaville selling medium mileage 8's that are already SAAQ certified, but they are all around 25k for 2003's. Take a look in the FS section on evom, and narrow yourself down to the NY state cars. You will have no problem driving down and back up, so no shipping headaches, and as previoiusly stated, you get to take advantage of the NY yearly inspection which is a very good thing considering the evo 8 is now 7 years old, and you want to make sure that the low-mileage is certified.

Also, try on Cars.com, and use 12919 as the zip code, it is for Champlain NY, which borders with Lacolle QC, you can get a good idea of how far the car is from home. Same thing goes with traderonline.com, etc.

I will join dsmquebec live under the same name, fasterbater.

Cheers!

Phil
Thanks for the info Phil. I always do the "freeport" adress to look for cars. There was one from NY a few days back but couldn'T manage a deposit it was first come first serve a the very clean RR sold fast....
I cannot believe that the guy from Victo is selling is 8's for 25-26K and SELLING I mean pretty fast.(I should try the exporting business) Thats plus taxes and everything you can save at least 10K doing this by yourself.
Cool that you can join DSMQUebec ,where a great club and theres a few evos rioght now as a beautiful MR 2006 for Ca with 28kmiles, I wish I could have it.....

Last edited by PoloTurbo; Nov 21, 2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 01:02 PM

Well, I finally picked up my car!

It is in great mechanical condition, in fact, i'd say almost perfect. I replaced the 41kmile worn original clutch with an Exedy Stage 1 (the job was done by Racing Results NY and I strongly reccomend them, speak with Norm or Winston, tell em Phil sent you), since i do not plan on going any higher than 320-350 whp, which should hold up fine considering I do not launch cars at all. 60ft times are nice to brag about and they do feel great in the pants, but they hurt the wallet at the end of the day, and driveability and reliability are paramount to me, especially on a bone stock car that I will be driving every day.

I also considered doing the same thing that the guy from Victo is doing. The money makes sense and many people are not willing to deal with the paperwork that I've been dealing with since last Sunday. My car will be cleared on Monday the 14th, and the snow tires will be on on the same day. Just in time for our (finally a smart law from our govt) 15 de decembre winter tire law. So much safer knowing that the person behind you can stop without using your rear bumper as his brakes :P

I joined DSMquebec, but I think my membership is in "arbitrage". Ill keep on waiting then, lol!
Old Dec 9, 2009, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

Nice Phil great to hear that it went well. Post some pics if you can...

I have a few questions if you have time:

When you passs the 2 inspections tell me how hard is it to pass in Montreal area.
Where did you leave the car 3 days (clearing title) before crossing the border, any indoor options?
Does the dealer or seller left you the license plate for you to drive back?

LEt me know.

I think I'm going to wait until spring for mine or if theres a screaming deal, but nothing right now that seems like worth the hassle.

Last edited by PoloTurbo; Dec 9, 2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by PoloTurbo
Nice Phil great to hear that it went well. Post some pics if you can...

I have a few questions if you have time:

When you passs the 2 inspections tell me how hard is it to pass in Montreal area.

I haven`t passed the inspections yet, but I am assuming that it won`t be too difficult, the car is stock except for a sound system, and I had the Daytime Running Lights mod done at a shop in NY for 40$, they simply relayed the headlights on-off contact to the ignition. I will let you know for sure, but I do not expect it to be a pain if the car is stock.

Where did you leave the car 3 days (clearing title) before crossing the border, any indoor options?

I haven`t found any indoor options. You can leave your car in a secure parking area with video surveillance and it is blocked off with a chain and cinder blocks. This is located in the Freeport area at exit 43 on the 87, it is called Champlain Peterbuilt www.champlainpeterbilt.com It costs only 7$ a day.

Does the dealer or seller left you the license plate for you to drive back?

No, the plate is kept by the seller. When you go to the DMV with the seller to exchange the title, you apply for an Out of State Vehicle In Transit Permit, and you just scotchtape the paper onto your rear window as you would with a temp licence over here. It is valid for 30 days. Also make sure that you make 2 copies of both the front and back of the Title as well as a copy of the Proof of Lien Release when you purchase the vehicle. You do not want to show up at US Export Control (1st stop at the border) without proof that the bank does not hold the title to the vehicle. Remeber to check out the www.ucanimport.com and www.riv.ca websites for exact info covering all the bases.

LEt me know.

I think I'm going to wait until spring for mine or if theres a screaming deal, but nothing right now that seems like worth the hassle.

There`s always some really nice deals in the NY, NJ and Chicago areas. A drive down to NY or NJ isn`t too bad, and flights and shipping to and from Chicago are pretty cheap these days. I had a shipping quote of 500$ to Champlain NY from West Chicago, and te flight was to be around 212$ round-trip. Gas going to NY for your "lift" should be along 50$-60$ so double that for the round trip as well, unless you`re really nice and pay your lift`s gas on the way back as well lol.

Try getting the car inspected by a reputable evo shop such as AMS, Ivey Tuned, TTR, Racing Results, etc. They tend to look for things that the dealership will never notice.
Cheers,

Phil

Last edited by fasterbater; Dec 9, 2009 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Grammar and Spelling FTW
Old Dec 10, 2009, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

WOW, thanks Phil for the great write up. Very appreciated. I'll look closely at it also in my attemp soon.

Post some pics when you got a chance.
Old Dec 10, 2009, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Link

This WW Evo IX popped up on Lespacs a few days ago - looks like a steal if it's in good condition.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 08:26 AM

Polo, no prob man, if you have any questions, feel free to ask! btw, Im one of Tambo's very close friends, we should grab a bite at a meet sometime together and discuss this importation more thoroughly.

damn, nice find rapotord!

I did a reverse phone search, the seller works at Vitro Plus in Granby. The VIN is not avaialble on Lespacs, but if anyone wants to call the guy and PM it over to me, please do so, i think I have a week left of CARFAX. By law, I am not allowed to post the carfax link to a forum, but I can definately print it and read you the results if you're interested. That is an excellent price if it isn't VGA.

However, I am not a big fan of people pricing such a car that low, it makes it harder for those who import the cars into Canada to sell them at higher prices. This is obviously not beneficial to the buyers and only good for the owners/sellers. I spent more than that on buying and importing my Evo IX...

Cheers,

Phil
Old Dec 12, 2009, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

Just saw them one GG my favorite for 26900 MR 2006 and one WW 2006 for 27K

Great price but out of my range especially for a track car. IMPOSSIBLE for me to just run it on the street, it'S gonna go on the track for sure and not pushing it because i paid 27K, not my thing.... I'm even considering a salvage title to rebuilt if a guy I know can do some bodywork he's rebuilt 2 evos and is doing amazing jobs....

@Phil.: I know a bit Tambo's, I think is not around here for a few month?

If you registered at DSMQuebec just respond to the question, the administrator told me that... is gonna accept your registration.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 04:05 AM

So I'm finally rolling around in my evo ix, on hankook ipikes, studded. My experience at the border was a pleasant one. The export control guys weren't the nicest of people, but they didn't cause me any trouble either. They were willing to answer some of my questions but I could see them getting annoyed so I left us border control when I finished with them. I parked at the Canadian customs office at the border, handed my stamped receipt to the customs agent, as well as the stamped original title and bill of sale. I also handed them a photocopy for the receipt of the bank draft I used to pay for the car. Please remember to male a copy of this for the Canadian customs or it will be nearly impossible to bring the car across. I paid the Riv fee of 195.00 cad, the 6.1% duty and the 5% GST, and they sent me off into the beautiful snowy province we call home, el' Quebec.

They also arranged for the RIV to send me the inspection kit via mail to my home, which I will bring to Canadian tire for the transport Canada inspection, and then finally, I will be off to wait "300 hours" in line at the saaq to pay a few grand for a metal plate with blue numbers on it

almost done!

Tambo is back as of last Sunday I beleive.

Cheers,

Phil
Old Dec 26, 2009, 09:05 AM

UPDATE

So i`ve been driving my baby around town for the past 2 weeks now and I damn straight love it. Very fun, very fast indeed. I also just bought a used Works Axle back muffler from evo8dad, going to install it after the SAAQ inspection which is scheduled for next wednesday. The Canadian inspection went fine at Canadian Tire, it took all of 8 minutes for them to OK my car, since the Evo IX already comes with baby seat anchors, all was needed prior to inspection was the daytime light mod, which they can do at Can tire for approx 40$-60$.

Im just getting eager for nice snowfall to have some vacant parking lot fun. I will try to organize a track day at MecaGlisse for some safe and legal snow and ice racing fun. Let me know if you guys are down. There should also be some Subaru guys joining from the Montreal Subaru Club as well.

Cheers,

Phil
Old Dec 31, 2009, 05:36 PM

Car is plated.

There is going to be a nice snowfall this weekend, right in time for a Mecaglisse track day on the 10th of Jan, 145$ morning till sundown. Ill start a thread soon about it.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

The is also a lapping day at the Autodrome on January 10th- $100 for the whole day- and it is closer to Montreal....

Too bad they are both on the same day.

Snow is still falling.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

I'm looking to buy a high mileage one or just put back the old talon in street/winter mode that it plenty faster than any stock evo... I tried a type-r that I wanted to exchange for my DD, but the guy would'nt take my Civic 2006. I guess I just want to sell my two cars and have what I always wanted is the EVO plain and simple.
Easier said than made... Would you think a slightly more modified talon would follow a stock evo on a race track?

Quick Reply: Quebec area Evo IX owner