Notices

Yellow Lancer in the white stuff

Old Oct 12, 2002, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Yellow Lancer in the white stuff

So I pick up my new car Wednesday, and last night we get dumped with snow. Travelling up #2 this morning, I saw no less than 7 vehicles in the median, in various stages of disrepair.

So, here are my snow impressions, although I wish I didn't have any yet...

The stock Yokos were slippery off the line, but tracked pretty well in snow, once up to speed. The front end did stutter a bit before gaining traction in moderate snow. Braking (non-ABS) was good, with no pulling L or R (not that I expected any with 300 clicks on the odo). Overall, the Lancer was predictable in the white stuff, but I think real snow tires would be going on if I didn't have the "other" Mitsu backing me up on stormy days...

Oh, BTW, gas mileage so far (even with slowly increasing and decreasing speed to aid in break-in) seems good. 330kms so far, and just dipped under the 1/2 way mark. This was almost all highway. I think it's gonna be quite good after the engine is "seasoned" a bit

PHIL
Old Oct 12, 2002, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

your so lucky, we won't get snow here for at least a month. It was 80 today but supposed to be 20's tomorrow night, even if we get any moisture it won't stick to the ground.
Last year I found the car to track like a train in the snow. I took it to U.P. Mich for a week and was easily passing suv's and assorted other slowmobiles. I did have the brakes lock twice last year tho in unexpected circ. while it's new the pads are sufficient but I would suggest gettin the kevlar pads if you want to improve any aspect of its road characteristics for snow.
Old Oct 12, 2002, 05:51 AM
Evolving Member

Glad you have taken delivery of your 2nd Mitsubishi. I probably won't get as much snow, but in my household, we've always bought snows for all the cars. I'm going to be looking into either some Nokians or Vredesteins just as soon as I get around to it. I guess some fun purchases like the RMR strut bar had to be made first!

I too have noticed that my gas mileage is really good considering I only have 1,000mi on the clock. My 3rd tank and she turned in 34mpg. Not alot of autocross style driving, but not puttering along on 100% highway either. I completely agree once it's loosened up that there's potential to go higher.
Old Oct 12, 2002, 10:45 AM

Diesel, I have heard great things about the Nokian Hakkepilita (sp?), but I don't think I'll be getting any this year. My wife's Suzi Esteem Wagon (ULTIMATE gas miser!) needs tires, and I only have 2000kms on the BIG BFG AT's, so the Lancer will have to wait till next year.

Speaking of winter tire swaps, are there many compatible wheel patterns to stick a set of winter tires on, and save those nice rims for spring? I know the Mitsu Trucks share wheels with Toyos, and Nissans... what about the cars? Anything else out there? (Not gonna find many Mitsu wheels up here for a while yet).

Oh BTW, Pimpson.... was your snow experience on the factory tires?

PHIL
Old Oct 16, 2002, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, stock goodyear eagles.