Notices

What winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2004, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What winter Tires

Hey guys, that time of year is going to be coming up fast, i.e Winter in Canada. Looks like it might be a bad one as this summer sucked

I just wanted to know what you guys are running for winter rubber, or are most off you still running the stock tires.
Give me some ideas.
Old Aug 16, 2004, 08:37 PM
cih

Chains
Old Aug 16, 2004, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

I was thinking chains but, that might suck with the gas mileage.
I was thinking maybe Toyos or even Kuhmo
Old Aug 16, 2004, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

Blizzaks
Old Aug 16, 2004, 08:46 PM

toyo are good
are you using your stock rim?
Old Aug 16, 2004, 09:20 PM
EdT
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

The best winter tire for the bang is Walmart's Wintermark(@$59ea) made by Kelly Tires and you can also have the options of adding studs too., but you have to go early like in mid October or they will be all bought up !

If you want to spend the big bucks then theres really only two choices Bridgestone Blizzacks or Michelin Winter Alpins(@$125-$130ea) depending on the road conditions you most travel in winter. For mid range theres Toyo O2 Observes, Dunlop Graspics and Hankook(@$75-$110).
Old Aug 16, 2004, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

I will be using the stock rims. for the winter tires.
So what are the best sizes for the winter tires. Do I put the stock size back on?
Old Aug 16, 2004, 11:08 PM
Evolving Member

Bridgestone Blizzaks or Nokian Hakkapeliitta.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 05:46 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I use Blizacks. They are truly amazing. I will never use another winter tire. I lived in Timmins and drove a Hyundai Accent a few years back. Almost everymorning I was the first one in (at a ski hill so long drive way) and therefore was braking trail. sometimes almost a foot deep. I guess havin a light car helped but I know with out those tires I would have been stuck lots of times. I didnt have them on my Lancer the first year I got it and I was having a lot of traction problems. The next winter I put them on and the car handled like it was on ashfault. Telling you man Bilzacks are the way to go.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 06:09 AM

Agreed. I have run though LOTS of Winter tires (Arpin, Graspic, Yoko winter, and Hakkpalitas). NOTHING touches the Blizzak WS-50. That is the original Blizzak and it comes in a 235/45/17. They have a patent on the technology which is why it kicks every other snow tires ***. It truly is a class apart. I'd get an extra set of stock rims, a torque wrench and a hydraulic jack and swap them yourself. Saves $$$ in the long run.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

Blizzak for sure.. Without them, my car was uncontrollable but as soon as I put them on, I drove everywhere without a problem!
Old Aug 17, 2004, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Cool Blizzak

I had Blizzaks on the Integra and I'll get the same for the RA... it's just so much better than everything else! Highway driving is also very good, which is a bit surprising for winter tires... I really didn't expect that. All in all, I think this winter tire is better than the all-seaon RS-As that came with the car!!! Then again, those sucked big time...
Old Aug 17, 2004, 09:08 AM

The best tire is the Nokka Hakkapel 2. I got a set last year with studs and they were the best thing I have seen. Better then Hak 1 or Blizz. I don't know if you can order them from Maynard & Lesieur 1-800-854-3300.

Later
Old Aug 18, 2004, 07:25 AM

Question Stock rims?

Hi all,

Newbee here - I Just got an RA last month and am now dreading winter time. Sounds like the Blizzaks are the way to go! Haven't heard any good things about the stock eagles we where given. I really want to get winter tires mounted on an extra set of steelys. Has any1 done this or did you just mount them on you stock rims.

If I did get a set of steel rims should they be the same size (rim and tire), or can I go with a 15" rim and a higher profile tire? Would this save me some $$$$? Also are there any warranty issues that someone like me has to consider?

All your input is appreciated?
Old Aug 18, 2004, 07:33 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Spend the $$ and get some stamped steel rims.. then you dont need to pay for a swap every winter.

Quick Reply: What winter Tires